Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 9mm what bullet weight is your favorite

gzo

For shooting minor pf I liked the lighter 115gr but shooting major I preferred the heavier stuff. Since I shoot a lot of both I've been using 121gr which is kind of in the middle.

115s for my 9 major shorty. I did a lot of Bill drills and El Prezs with both 125 and 115 Hornady HAPs loaded to same PF with HS6. The 115s gave me marginally higher hit factors. Mostly I noticed less vertical spread on Bill Drill when I really pushed my splits to the .15-.17 range.

115 MG-CMJ for my 7 hole 9 major.

Have you done any accuracy testing comparing the 115 CMJs to 115 JHPs? I would imagine the CMJs are accurate enough for the game we play, but the JHPs held significantly tighter groups for me......plus they look so much more badass :roflol:

It's hard to tell in your picture, but I'm guessing you are running an Akai? maybe a Katana? What load are you using?

Edited by Desmo412

115 MGJHP. I tried 124 MGJHP and the dot tracking was slightly less predictable for me and they cost more. 115's under 9.1gr HS6 makes my gun very flat and predictable so I don't mess with it. I mess with everything else when I want to screw myself up. :roflol:

Seems like I need to try some other weight bullets . . . I've shot several thousand rounds of 115gr Xtreme plated round nose and like them.

I was looking at Xtreme didn't know if the plating was good for Open velocities. I saw a guy this past weekend shoot a plated bullet in a 40 that the jacket pealed off before it hit the target . At least best we could tell, he had grease ring on 3 hits and a smaller non grease ring hit(hole) on 2 other hits in the same string