Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring weight Stock 2 vs Limited Pro

ny32182

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lim Pro in .40

I had lots of weird issues as mentioned above. The gun was a "GM package" and came with a 7# recoil spring... would never take a round from slide lock... went to a 9#... hit or miss after 300 rounds... now I run a 12# and haven't had a single issue. Brass lands 8-10 feet away.. Load is a snappy 165 gn .40 with Titegroup. Makes 135pf. Just thought I would add, cause all the fluffing and buffing in the world couldn't fix it.. ramp, extractor, etc.etc. etc. It was the spring the whole time.

And just to add another point.. when you boys tear your gun apart... take the slide with the guide rod and spring, see if the guide rod nail head stops at the slide. Some springs are so long that it shortens the stroke.. reliability goes down the drain.

Interesting... good info.

What recoil spring do you recommend for a stock II 40sw for minor loads?

Obviously I'm not the expert, and don't have that specific gun at this time, but it seems to me after looking at some of the info in this thread, it is mostly about recoil system length vs. spring weight... I'd probably start with the same weights I'd use in a 9mm stock 2 and go from there.

For me that is currently a 10lb, maybe trying 11lb next.

How long you loaded your bullet? I had the same problem in my stock2 I'm using Zero 147 JHP loaded to 1.13" before and it's been giving me the same issue you're discriping so I tried loading it shorter to 1.11" and now it's running 110% now, give it a try and good luck.

Load is currently an xtreme 147 RN @ 1.15".

So far with the 10lb spring and the OLD mags, I've had no occurrences of this issue. I tried new mags again with the 10lb spring, and sure enough, had one of these type malfs.

I loaded up 6 new mags to 17 rounds and are letting them sit for a week or so in hopes of getting the springs to break in a little.

Also I might go to an 11lb and see if that takes care of it in the Stock 2 once and for all. I hear that is what Frenchy runs in his.

If the info above from Nathan and the guy who called Wolff is correct, sounds like if you want "10lb equvalent" in the Lim Pro, I need to go to a 12-13lb in the Lim Pro. It is worth a shot. Thanks everyone for the input.

Edited by ny32182

As I mentioned earlier, I've been using fullsize 10lb in my Stock 2 recently. I just ordered some longslide 10lb.... I'll post a visual comparison when they get here.

If the poster earlier is correct, the fullsize 10lb I have in the Lim Pro at the moment would be equal to having an 8lb in the stock 2. Just based on the effort needed to retract the slide on each, I can believe that.

My info came straight from the guy that actually packs the springs for shipment, so I'd assume it is correct. I still don't know which one to use though. Both are reliable, but I want to use the one with better lockup force. Shorter and stiffer or longer and weaker? IDK. I'll have to do more comparisons.

My info came straight from the guy that actually packs the springs for shipment, so I'd assume it is correct. I still don't know which one to use though. Both are reliable, but I want to use the one with better lockup force. Shorter and stiffer or longer and weaker? IDK. I'll have to do more comparisons.

I tried the LongSlide spring 8lb and 10lb since I only have the factory to compare in terms of length.

With both spring using 124/132pf 147/132pf. I prefer the 10lb better for both loads the brass falls 3 feet away and the sight tracking was flatter.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been using fullsize 10lb in my Stock 2 recently. I just ordered some longslide 10lb.... I'll post a visual comparison when they get here.

If the poster earlier is correct, the fullsize 10lb I have in the Lim Pro at the moment would be equal to having an 8lb in the stock 2. Just based on the effort needed to retract the slide on each, I can believe that.

an 8lb "longslide" would be a 10lb "standard"

I ordered a "10lb Longslide".

What I got is in fact marked as such.

However, visually, they look identical in every way to my 10lb regular full size... exact same length, exact same number of coils.

I'll drop one in sometime to see if it feels any different. If not I'll order some 12lb fullsize and see what comes in that bag.

I ordered a "10lb Longslide".

What I got is in fact marked as such.

However, visually, they look identical in every way to my 10lb regular full size... exact same length, exact same number of coils.

I'll drop one in sometime to see if it feels any different. If not I'll order some 12lb fullsize and see what comes in that bag.

I also order a fullslide spring for comparison, like you said, looks same but feels different.

You considered the free length and number of coils, but the last detail that determines how a spring acts is the wire thickness. The lighter spring should have thinner wire.

My 10lb LongSlide is thicker than my Full size spring. I will take pics later for comparison.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...