Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring weight Stock 2 vs Limited Pro

ny32182

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be curious to hear what opinions people have as well. I have a Stock III and the slide barrel and recoil system are the same so I would think you could share data. One thing I have found out is that The longer Lim Pro/Stock III do require recoil springs for the longer guide rod, as opposed to the Stock II which has the shorter guide rod and uses shorter springs. Basically using a spring from the shorter recoil system would have a much lighter preload and the whole compression curve would be lower on the longer recoil system.

Haha, I guess I type too slow....

Edited by EngineerEli

FWIW don't forget that the Stock II and Stock III take different springs. Stock II is 4.5" barrel and the Stock III is 4.75"

I thought the springs were the same... maybe this is my problem. Wow.

Can someone link me up to the correct limited pro springs? "EAA Witness full size" that I use in my Stock 2's are not it?

I've been aware for sure that the same spring that I have in both Stock 2 and Limited Pro is more relaxed with the gun in battery in the Lim Pro.

Edited by ny32182

I'm skeptical it matters. If long slide gun can handle for example 6# spring a 9# full slide spring logically can't do harm.

I could be wrong but someone please explain.

Edited by Stician

This is an excerpt regarding the guide rods and the same principle as I understand it is applied to recoil springs. You can find that definition on Henning's website and the Pro Shop.

Standard Slide: 3.8" fits the standard slide models Stock, Stock II, Gold Team V12
Long Slide: 4.2" fits the longslide models which includes Limited, Limited Custom, Gold Team V8, Match and Stock III

Edited by praetorian97

Henning 10.75 springs are shorter too. Here is a prime example on how the length isn't necessarily the critical piece but more the compression properties.

Hammer Springs - Notice the 14 is the heaviest but the shortest and thickest of the three.

Left to Right.

Wolff 13lb Hammer Spring

EG Xtreme Light (13.8lb) Hammer Spring

Wolff 14 Hammer Spring

Appears the Wolff 13 is one coil smaller than the EG Light 13.8.

11083698_10205264999801137_7790639108815

Edited by praetorian97

Well the length actually is a critical piece of the equation. A 10" long 6lb spring is a 6lb spring, You stuff that onto a Tanfoglio guide rod and its going to provide a lot more resistance than a 5" 10lb spring (ratings are I think in pounds/inch).

So as I've explained in other threads you have the spring rating and the length, and you change both of those attributes to get the desired behavior you want. So a 10# recoil spring that is too short will have poor lockup force, but also may not let the gun fully cycle. Whereas a super long 5# recoil spring will have a ton of lockup force, but slight variations in your powder charge could make the gun short stroke, or have slide to frame contact.

Which I why I prefer a cut 14lb hammer spring as opposed to a full length 13lb. You don't need as much force to start your DA, but you still have full power to ignite primers.

For practical purposes I would just do what Nick suggested above. Figure out when the gun gets sketchy and tune up from there. I swear gun industry folks hire the worst product and marketing managers. And make the worst websites and the worst supply chain decisions.

Edited by Stician

At the moment I have exactly the same recoil spring in both: 10lb full size.

The pressure pushing the slide forward is very noticeably less in the Lim pro close to lock up, due to the spring being 1/4" more relaxed when the gun is in battery.

Now I'm thinking I need a longer spring for the Lim pro... same weight, just longer.

I have been trying to wrap my head around spring selection for a while and I think I am starting to get a good Idea of the logic involved.

Very interesting quote from Wolf's website:

"LOAD-RATED RECOIL SPRINGS are precision springs designed to exact load ratings. The load rating of these springs is determined with the slide in full recoil position. Load-rated recoil springs are designed to offer maximum flexibility for the shooter by allowing adjustment of the recoil function to individual requirements. Factors such as ammunition loadings, individual pistol characteristics, compensators and individual shooting styles all influence the recoil function. Optimum recoil and pistol functioning can usually be obtained by changing the recoil spring rating to meet these variables."

This means they rate all their springs, and I am now assuming it is an industry standard, at full recoil position. I had previously though the advertised weight was a spring rate in Lb/IN. So basically, a 10 lb spring at at slide lock, should require 10 lb of force on the slide. The fact that there are different springs for long and short slide EAAs would suggest that there is a difference in space in the gun for the spring when at full recoil. This also means that If you visualize a graph of slide movement against the force it takes to move it, when you clip a coil, yes your spring rate Lb/IN will go up because you have less coils to be deflecting, but the actual load rating, and the line on your graph, will move down slightly. The increase in spring rate will make the slope of the graph become steeper though.

Hope that's clear as mud to you all!

Edited by EngineerEli

I think you guys over thinking this. If its a 9mm, grab and 8lb, run it for 10-15,000 rounds, then replace it. :)

Like I've said before if your 9mm gun won't run with a 6lb recoil spring, then it needs attention: more crimp on your loads, better brass resizing, de-burring of slide/breach, better lubrication, something..