Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salvaging brass

BobS761

I just received a little over 300 .30-06 rounds. There is no way I would shoot them in my Garand, so I'm pulling the bullets. Is there a safe way to remove the primers that's not readily aparent to me? I figure if nothing else, I'll just cycle them through the rifle.

Thanks, B

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a little over 300 .30-06 rounds. There is no way I would shoot them in my Garand, so I'm pulling the bullets. Is there a safe way to remove the primers that's not readily aparent to me? I figure if nothing else, I'll just cycle them through the rifle.

Thanks, B

Run them through your press. Never had an issue. But why not just use the primers that are in them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you run them thru the press to remove the live primers you should do it slowly. The decapping pin hitting the primer anvil with any speed will set the primer off from the shock. You can crush a primer and not set it off but you can't do it quickly.

Wear glasses and ear plugs if you plan to de-prime......just in case things go horribly awry.

Why not just use them?

Is it reloaded or commercial ammo.

US Military after 1953 is not corrosive.

If it doesn't have corrosive primers just use them. I had some CCI Large Rifle primers that a friend gave me. He bought them in AK back in 1963 and hell only knows what kind of conditions these primers had been exposed to over the course of 50 years but they all worked as advertised.