Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

talked to Para about 18.9 mags

jjwestbrook

Well I called Para last week 3-30-15 talked to a very nice guy on the phone . He said they hoped to be finished with the ATF audit by Friday 4-3, and could start selling parts on Monday 4-6. He even took down my number and said he would call me when they were set up to sell parts from the new location in Alabama. Well I didn't hear anything Monday so I called down there today and asked if they were set up to sell parts yet. He asked which parts , I replied 18.9 mags he said we don't have those in stock and the last estimate he heard was Sept first before they will be back in stock. WTH how can you market a competition ready pistol and have no mags available for it????

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And.... They keep pushing the date back.. First it was when the pro shop re-opens in April....then summer... now Sept! This is like the redesigned .40 call mags they promised for almost 2 years that never appeared. Para has really dropped the ball on this. My PC 18.9 will run STI 140mm mags no problem so I'm using those. They don't lock back after the last shot but that's not a biggie. At lease I can run the gun! Why wont Para just tell us who is making them and let that company sell on the open market till they get their act together??? Travis Tomasie who used to shoot for Para was very helpful but he's MIA since putting on the Remington shirt. Not blaming TT in any way as he was a good ambassador and maybe could have helped the people who bought these. Rant over...

Well I called Para last week 3-30-15 talked to a very nice guy on the phone . He said they hoped to be finished with the ATF audit by Friday 4-3, and could start selling parts on Monday 4-6. He even took down my number and said he would call me when they were set up to sell parts from the new location in Alabama. Well I didn't hear anything Monday so I called down there today and asked if they were set up to sell parts yet. He asked which parts , I replied 18.9 mags he said we don't have those in stock and the last estimate he heard was Sept first before they will be back in stock. WTH how can you market a competition ready pistol and have no mags available for it????

It's Deja Vu all over again...... many years back I ordered a P18-9 and waited.... and waited..... and waited....... since I am in california, they had to ship 10 round mags with mine. Well, as it turns out, in the early 90's Para had yet to build any 10 round mags. They didn't even have the tooling. It would have been nice to find that out before waiting so long. So after about 8 months of waiting, I cancelled and bought an STI Trojan.

If it is the full capacity magazines, it does seem odd they have none. The reason is probably due to the amount of 9mm guns ordered compared to other calibers.

Edited by bountyhunter

what bugs me the most is last Monday the guy told me I would be able to order mags as soon as the store opened this week. he had to know last week that mags were not in stock. I was excited about finally possibly getting mags . I went ahead and ordered the flat trigger and shim. oh well I guess I will be dumping the Para . hard to shoot competition with 2 mags

what bugs me the most is last Monday the guy told me I would be able to order mags as soon as the store opened this week. he had to know last week that mags were not in stock. I was excited about finally possibly getting mags . I went ahead and ordered the flat trigger and shim. oh well I guess I will be dumping the Para . hard to shoot competition with 2 mags

Just picked up an RIA double stack in .40sw, which I understand uses Para mags also. Supposedly the Mec-Gar Para mags work in mine. The ones that were included with it(used gun,) were Mec-Gar ones & even the factory ones are supposedly Mec-Gar. Haven't got a chance to get out and shoot it yet to see how they work, but I did order a few more from Greg Cote today, so hopefully they'll do ok. I know he also had the 9mm versions on the website, not sure if those will work with your gun or not. My gun does have the factory magwell.

You wouldn't believe the assortment of stories people at Para gave me back then to keep me from cancelling my order. They make it up as they go along...

Jjwestbrook, don't give up on the gun. Try an STI 140mm. Should work. Buy from somewhere with a good return policy. You've got 2 factory, supplement those with a couple STI's and you've got a great pistol. Keep you eyes out for some 2000 ish 9mm mags. They should work with Dawson extended pads giving you 20-21 rounds.

You can get 23-24 in a 9mm 140mm STI with TTI basepads. The older para mags are shorter that the new ones and with base pads you get 20-21. The new PC 18.9 mags are longer and hold 20 with factory pads. I suspect with some Dawson pads and follower tuning you could get 23-24 also in the new ones. I'm just not brave enough to start triming the new followers with no way of getting replacements... I'm gonna keep them stock till either para releases mags for sale or the MBX mags become available.

I just need one more mag and I'd be good to go for shooting Steel Challenge. I knew I should have bought two while CDNN had them on sale. That way I could have a limited and open gun and 4 magazines. I would have been set. Anyone hear anything about MBX lately? I emailed asking and didn't get a reply.

JjWestbrook, If you take the magwell off then you've got an easy fix. Will the gun fit in the box with the magwell on? Without the magwell you should be able to run STI 126mm's, old early 90's 9mm and converted 38 super mags with the flat factory base pads. When I shoot IDPA with mine, I just take off the magwell. Easy as loosening the set screw and driving out the pin and driving in a new pin. Then I just used older mags without extended pads.

Yeah I know it will work without the magwell. I have 2 older para mags that work w/o magwell. But I want to use the gun as I bought it with magwell. I am very disappointed with para at the moment.

it will fit in the box with magwell.

Edited by jjwestbrook

• 3 weeks later...

If this helps, I found these...

https://getbattleready.us/product/magazines/

I ordered one. I think I'll have to modify it to get it to work with the stock magwell but I'll give it a shot. Haven't heard a thing from MBX.

It came in yesterday. It's just a bit shorter and wouldn't fit into the magwell and lock with their baseplate. I put the factory base plate (I'm running Arredondos on my factory mags) on it and went right in and by hand feeds 19 rounds very smoothly. Sits just too low to lock the slide back. I'll update when I get a chance to shoot it but I think it'll be fine. Woo Hoo, 3 mags!!

Dogtired, thanks for the lead.

Edited by rtl

I ordered one. I think I'll have to modify it to get it to work with the stock magwell but I'll give it a shot. Haven't heard a thing from MBX.

It came in yesterday. It's just a bit shorter and wouldn't fit into the magwell and lock with their baseplate. I put the factory base plate (I'm running Arredondos on my factory mags) on it and went right in and by hand feeds 19 rounds very smoothly. Sits just too low to lock the slide back. I'll update when I get a chance to shoot it but I think it'll be fine. Woo Hoo, 3 mags!!

Got time to shoot the new mag last night. It's a go! Put 100 rounds through it with no issues at all. It's a bit loose in the gun when empty and does sit too low to hold back but it functions 100%. I ordered a second one since I had another factory baseplate left. I think I'm GTG until MBX gets theirs debugged and on the market.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

Edited by rtl

I have a 18-9 up for sale right now at the classified page and I am selling it with 3 mags (Canada). I have extra 8 Stainless mags (Canada) which I am selling too but the buyer has the the first call for it. If he doesn't want any I will be putting it in the classified page.

• 2 weeks later...

I called Para a couple days ago. The story I got was that Para would not sell remington the copyrights so they can not make them. The guy told me STI 140's made after 2012 would work. Mags made before 2012 require modification to work.

I called STI tech support and left a detailed message asking if they knew anything about this but didn't hear back yet.

This really sucks. I finally have enough mags to shoot steel challenge with it because I traded one of my guns for a second one but from the sounds of things I'm beginning to regret ever buying the first one. I may just put them both up on the classifieds section and be done with Para.

I called Para a couple days ago. The story I got was that Para would not sell remington the copyrights so they can not make them. The guy told me STI 140's made after 2012 would work. Mags made before 2012 require modification to work.

I called STI tech support and left a detailed message asking if they knew anything about this but didn't hear back yet.

That doesn't make sense. I thought Rem and Para were both owned by FG.

Got time to shoot the new mag last night. It's a go! Put 100 rounds through it with no issues at all. It's a bit loose in the gun when empty and does sit too low to hold back but it functions 100%. I ordered a second one since I had another factory baseplate left. I think I'm GTG until MBX gets theirs debugged and on the market.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

I just ordered a couple of these mags and some of these bases, I hope they work.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1371120.htm#1371120