Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat Mags

lizz

Wilson combat mags don't fall out of my Springfield armory 9mm 1911 when I hit mag release. They get stuck and I need to pull them out. Anyone else have that problem

Pull the slide off and insert the mag slowly. You should be able to see what's binding. Often one of the grip screws is rubbing the mag body or the feed lips spread just a bit. If nothing is evident, remove the mag release and see if it still happens. If it's the release, you might have to relieve the side of the mag release. I use the same mags in several guns and I've had to do a little filing on 1-2 mag releases to get them to fall freely.

Edited by Dirty Rod

i had this happen to me and managed to fix it by going with a heavier mag release spring. The one i used before was pretty light, i'd tap it and a empty mag would just hang instead of falling a 100% of the time.

Going to one slightly heavier than stock got it working a 100%

I also polished the mag tube bodies with polishing compound - as a just in case. Theyve been good so far.

Ok thanks. They fall out perfectly when empty. I dry fire with them. They hang when I have rounds in the magazine. How does that sound? Metal forms work fine either way.

9mm 1911's are super finicky.

For your mags that dont drop - is the slide dragging a round forward and the tip of the round hanging up and slowing down the mag when it drops?

I have that issue with Tripp mags.

Dawson mags go to slidelock with rounds still in the tube.

havent tried metal forms yet.

I had to ditch the wilson mags on my Kimber. They were hitting the ejector.

I use the Tripp mags now. I also use the stock mag (metalform... but not sure which variant) for carry as the +P ammo I carry causes issues with the Tripp mags.

That's usually due to the slide lock hitting the nose of the rounds. So I think the dawsons must have more spacing in the rear of the mags. With my tripps, +P ammo would cause the rounds in the mag to shift forward, hitting the slide lock.

9mm 1911's are super finicky.

For your mags that dont drop - is the slide dragging a round forward and the tip of the round hanging up and slowing down the mag when it drops?

I have that issue with Tripp mags.

havent tried metal forms yet.

Yea that could be it. Easiest just to stay with metal form. If only I could find some.

Metal Forms were super reliable when I had my 9mm 1911. The drawback with them was that they were 9 rounders... but I couldn't get the Wilsons to run for crap, so 9 rounds was better than a 10 round paperweight.