Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bent firing pin

xagent

I have an extended firing pin in my 9mm major STI and when doing cleaning noticed it was bent. Not sure how that happened and didn't want to try to straighten it out. I had a backup one but not sure how it happened? Any thoughts on what might cause that? And can it be straightened?

Well just had this happen last week too. Had a primer fall out in the mag the round chambered I pulled the trigger of coarse no bang so when tried to rack

the slide firing pin was stuck in the primer flash hole result bent pin. I straightened mine didn't have a spare and wanted to shoot used brass hammer and steel plate polished it was good to go

I'am ordering a new one but will get me buy till then

My guess is something (debris, etc.) caused the FP to stay in the forward position and it got smacked from underneath by the next round in the mag.

I had this happen on a SW1911 that has a FP safety plunger. The plunger got damaged due to not being fully engaged by the grip safety which cause the FP to hang up in the forward position. Bent two pins before I figured out the problem.

Keep a new spring on the firing pin

We all probably have a lot of extra cause I know I don't change mine every time I try a new recoil spring wgt etc.

If you see any primer drag on your brass change it for sure

• 2 months later...

It happened to me also a while back. I used an old stock WIN SRP and somehow it cracked the primer, NO GO. It was hitting the edge of the primer so I replaced it and used the bent one, cut it and used it as my DF FP.