Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too Many choices......

Ok I admit I have a dilemma, and I could use some insight. Trying to figure out what route to go for my first 2011, and part of that is choosing a caliber. My first though was .40 S&W and go major for USPSA, and minor of 3 Gun. However, the more I think about I enjoy 3 gun FAR more so I am wondering if 9mm would be better.

Little background on my local area options for matches:

1st Sat - USPSA or USPSA style all steel match
2nd Sat - USCA 2 Gun
3rd Sat - 3 Gun
4th Sat - Off (propably a match to be found - budget says I need to take some time off)

Never shot a USCA match, but I figure it would give me some sling work which I could really use. Plus while I have fun at USPSA, pistol knockdown steel is my nemesis so like 2 Gun I get the feeling that it would serve me better than standard USPSA. And ringing steel is mighty satisfying some days.

So all of that to ask - any thoughts from my fellow shooters out there, especially on the 9 v 40 debate.

Yes I know 9 v 40 has been beat to death, and up until today I would have said .40 no doubt but the more I think about it the more I question that.

Edited by Iggy42

Shoot what you LIKE. Sounds like you have already come to the conclusion that 9mm is right for what you enjoy. Going major gets you a few points on a small portion of your total shooting schedule. Besides, if you shoot all alphas it won't matter if your shooting major or minor!

Shoot what you LIKE. Sounds like you have already come to the conclusion that 9mm is right for what you enjoy. Going major gets you a few points on a small portion of your total shooting schedule. Besides, if you shoot all alphas it won't matter if your shooting major or minor!

I currently shoot .40 with my XDm, but as I am looking to make the move to a 2011 and dropping USPSA from my schedule I am wondering of 9mm would be a better route to go. 3 gun is my "chosen" sport with other games to support it, and by dropping USPSA 9mm seems to make the better choice but I can't help what ifing myself to death.

Edited by Iggy42

Well, you know my answer: Edge .40 S&W in Major for USPSA, Minor for 3-Gun. A 9mm is fine for 3-Gun, of course, but if you go that route I would suggest you look at an Eagle, or one of the other models (Tactical, maybe?) that would give you the option of adding IDPA to your shooting schedule as an ESP legal gun (no bull barrel, no full length dust cover, and smaller jet funnel).

Well, you know my answer: Edge .40 S&W in Major for USPSA, Minor for 3-Gun. A 9mm is fine for 3-Gun, of course, but if you go that route I would suggest you look at an Eagle, or one of the other models (Tactical, maybe?) that would give you the option of adding IDPA to your shooting schedule as an ESP legal gun (no bull barrel, no full length dust cover, and smaller jet funnel).

Yeah I shot IDPA once.......

9mm in USPSA Limited can only be minor.

I would look at 2 things; doing a 40 and loading 2 loads, major and minor. About 150pf is where you want to be with the 3gun load, which should operate the gun without changing springs. Going lower probably will need different springs. You can get there with the same bullet like a 165gn, but you might a mid weight bullet for 3gun and a heavy for major.

The other option is 2 uppers, 9mm for 3gun and 40 for uspsa. Cost is higher with all the extraneous stuff like different dies and bullets and all, but maybe the way you will want to go.

Just some thoughts...personally I would do two different 40 loads.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

another option.. if you go with an SVI.. with the interchangeable breach face

you can swap out the breachface, magazines, extractor, barrel and spring - and go 9 or 40 easy enough

if i was on a budget.. I'd just shoot 40 minor/major

If you're building or buying from scratch, go 9. I had a 6" 40 built for uspsa until I found out about 3 gun. Minor 40 is soft, but 4 extra rounds and cheaper was a better way to go. Once I startred shooting uspsa scores like a 3 gun match (2 on paper fast as possible) sold the 40 and got a 9mm

If you shoot 3G a lot and little USPSA, go with 9mm. The cost savings would help since 3G is so expensive. Remember if you shoot Minor in USPSA, just get all Alphas and no lost points :-)

Right now its a 50/50 split, but I can't help but think that dropping USPSA for steel would serve me better in improving my ability since I seem to always struggle with steel

9mm is obviously cheaper to shoot, so practice and match costs are cheaper.

Easier to reload, 9mm cases fall from the sky like rain, 40's less so. And you often need to resize 40 with an extra step (bulge).

Sounds like you want to shoot 3gun and occasionally shoot uspsa. Might be that you could pick up a plastic pistol in 40 for uspsa rather than compromise the caliber for 3 gun. Or just shoot the 9mm 2011 there and except the slight scoring disadvantage.

Also how competitive are you/do you want to be? If your skills have you vying for top place, the advantages from equipment might make a big difference to you. If your a mod pack shooter I don't it worth all the thought

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an awesome setup for this purpose as I was in the same boat as you. I couldn't decide. So I had Matt Mclearn build me a 2011 with an infinity slide. The trick is infinity slides come with interchangeable breach faces. I had him fit 2 barrels 9mm and .40 each with respective breach faces. I have to say just for pure shooting the 9mm is more fun. But for uspsa purposes .40 is more practical as you dont loose the points shooting minor.

Ok I admit I have a dilemma, and I could use some insight. Trying to figure out what route to go for my first 2011, and part of that is choosing a caliber. My first though was .40 S&W and go major for USPSA, and minor of 3 Gun. However, the more I think about I enjoy 3 gun FAR more so I am wondering if 9mm would be better.

Little background on my local area options for matches:

1st Sat - USPSA or USPSA style all steel match

2nd Sat - USCA 2 Gun

3rd Sat - 3 Gun

4th Sat - Off (propably a match to be found - budget says I need to take some time off)

Never shot a USCA match, but I figure it would give me some sling work which I could really use. Plus while I have fun at USPSA, pistol knockdown steel is my nemesis so like 2 Gun I get the feeling that it would serve me better than standard USPSA. And ringing steel is mighty satisfying some days.

So all of that to ask - any thoughts from my fellow shooters out there, especially on the 9 v 40 debate.

Yes I know 9 v 40 has been beat to death, and up until today I would have said .40 no doubt but the more I think about it the more I question that.

OK so you shoot at Peacemaker. If mainly 3-gun just go with 9mm. No advantage to go bigger unless you shoot one of the Heavy divisions. In USPSA Limited do what you want. While I plan on getting one of my double stack 1911 guns rebarreled to .40 I have always just shot Limited in Minor either 9mm or 9x23mm. For Steel Challenge it does not matter about the power factor. Just shoot the gun in whatever division the mods fall in. Although I have always shot STI or Bul double stack 1911s I am currently shooting a Glock 34, which is mainly my 3-gun pistol because I can run Tac Ops with one slide setup and Open with another.

Edited by photoracer

• 1 month later...

So I have settled on going 9mm, now I just need to choose a platform

S_I's give me pistol envy, but for some reason Tanfoglios keep calling to me. I really have no idea what to do. I put about 200 round through a Witness Limited a couple years ago, and a couple mags through a 9mm Eagle so far. At this point I am at a loss as to what to do. I am leaning toward a CK Thunder series as its the more expensive option that I can swing and if for some reason I don't like it I know I can recoup my money. That said going Tang and saving some money means more bullets, if I can find the gun and parts in stock.

Never had this much trouble selecting a platform in my life. A friend gave me AR disease, but those are just adult Legos.

oh man i thought you were sold on the ck! i don't know anything about the Tan, but definitely check out your options (price and availability) for parts and accessories and gunsmithing vs the monstrous market for 2011 guns.

oh man i thought you were sold on the ck! i don't know anything about the Tan, but definitely check out your options (price and availability) for parts and accessories and gunsmithing vs the monstrous market for 2011 guns.

I pretty much am, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about Tans. The CK as a LOT going for it, where a with a Tan it would be basically up to me to get it running. Parts are out there, but a good 90% of the time when I start doing heavy duty research they are out of stock on things like magwells and grips. I could do it, especially since I am going to run my XDm in at least 3 gun until after FN. Tweaking a gun myself would have a certain level of pride with it, but I know my schedule and having a "done" gun has a certain appeal.

Trying to avoid the buy twice cry one wheel, but I have a feeling in the end I'll sell the XDm and put what I can get for it toward a Tanfo. That's after I order a CK, building a Tanfo could be a decent winter project and if I could find a way to have both I could figure out what I like best. Problem with that is I am trying to do about a billion other things at the same time.

Edited by Iggy42

Minor in USPSA sucks the big one.

pat

pat

Yeah, but USPSA is just pistol practice for me so I'm not that worried. Down the road I wouldn't mind a .40 for major as a dedicated USPSA pistol, but like everyone on a budget I need to take a few hits here and there so to speak.

pat

Yeah, but USPSA is just pistol practice for me so I'm not that worried. Down the road I wouldn't mind a .40 for major as a dedicated USPSA pistol, but like everyone on a budget I need to take a few hits here and there so to speak.

I like winning which is hard enough on even terms no reason to make it harder. Lol

Pat

HAHA

That's one thing Tanfos have going for them - Down the line I could pick up a .40 top end relatively cheaply if I wanted to.

2011s have so much available though its hard not to go that route, including some things that are just not out there for Tanfos. I am really leaning toward getting a CK, but seeing if I can get sell off an item or two and get a Tanfo as a project gun. I know me and no matter what I do I will be wondering about the other side so to speak.

40 is cool for all the USPSA sheeple, or if you want to shoot yourself in the leg in front of a classroom of disadvantaged youths. If you are into the whole 3 gun lifestyle, you need a 9mm. Thats what all the cool cats or rocking, not 8mm, and certainly not 10mm, 9mm is the Goldilocks of competition pistol calibers. Everything you need, and nothing you don't. Like Billy Dee always said, "It works every time!"

The right tool for the right game. 9mm for three gun and .40 for USPSA. That said you can be very competitive in 3 gun with a 40 loaded to minor. 2 rounds per mag is not going to lose most shooters a match.
In fact having to shoot minor in USPSA is a far greater disadvantage for that game than having to shoot 40 in 3 gun. So if you can only afford one gun and want to shoot both sports go with the .40.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo