Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Retention Holster for 9L?

ihocky2

I am picking up my M&P 9L in a day or two and am trying to decide on a holster to use for 3-gun. Safariland only lists the GLS for the 9L, which I have read less than favorable opinions of. The 5.11 Thumbdrive looks nice because it will sit about the same as my Blade-Tech holsters for all of my other guns and seems like a good retention system. The 5.11 is only listed for the M&P Pro 5" though, has anyone used a 9L in the Thumbdrive?

Are there any holsters I am missing. I don't not want to go into the Blade-Tech WRS with the level II retention.

I use this from Safariland.

http://www.holsterops.com/7ts-qls19

If you are using Dawson Adjustables or other higher profile sights you might want to consider the model that Holster Ops Cuts down in house. Otherwise you can trim the non cutdown version with a dremel.

http://www.holsterops.com/cutdown-7ts-paddle

I own and have used both. They work great and the price is right. ALS retention. Very secure.

Good luck.

9L should work in the pro 5". I like the thumb drive for good level II retention and a simple set screw, screwed in with the thumb drive pressed in to make it a no retention holster. Just my opinion.

Doug

Reviews I saw on the GLS were that the release button was not as intuitive and the thumb releases. Most had to make a point to press it and press it hard enough. Kind of like a Serpa holster, but the GLS at least keeps your finger away from the trigger during the draw.

BrianATL; on that 6378 ALS paddle you linked to, does it seem like you could switch the paddle to a Tek-Lok easily, or at least with an adapter?

I ordered a 7ts. It arrived yaesterday to try it out, and it is not retaining my pistol. I have Dawson adjustable sights and a stormlake barrel. It is not locking in real well. Has anyone had this problem? I wonder if the barrel sticks up enough to keep it from locking in. I am calling them today.

I ordered a 7ts. It arrived yaesterday to try it out, and it is not retaining my pistol. I have Dawson adjustable sights and a stormlake barrel. It is not locking in real well. Has anyone had this problem? I wonder if the barrel sticks up enough to keep it from locking in. I am calling them today.

Does it have an extended/threaded barrel? I have a 9L (non CORE) with a Stormlake barrel and 10-8 sights, and the 7TS works great.

No threaded barrel, I called Safariland and they are sending out another. It is a 5" Pro with Dawson sights. The rep said all holsters are checked before they leave. It feels like the gun is not going down into it deep enough. I can rip it out without hitting the lever. I think they will make it right.

It was hitting on my dawson adjustable rear sight base. Going to cut it down .

As I stated above it will work out fine if you trim it down so the hood clears the rear sight. If you are using a higher front (.285-.305) you may need to take the holster apart and open up the channel for the front sight internally so it doesn't drag. Holster Ops sells a version that is already trimmed down that I linked above for future reference. Safariland is bit clueless and just reads off a cue card and says it will fit. I went round and round with them a while ago and didn't get anywhere until a higher up got involved who then went way above and beyond to get me squared away.

Good luck.

I cut it down, it works great with my full size .40. Doesn't fit my 9mm pro. I can rip it out without pushing the lever. Been dealing with holster ops, and they are extremely helpful. They are sending me a new holster. My 40 slide is 1.025" wide in front of the ejection port. My 9mm pro is .877" wide. I think that is the problem.

Edited by bmiller

• 2 weeks later...