Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what targets have the best perfs (easiest to see)

it seems lately most of the targets we have been using have had pretty light perforations for the scoring zones making it harder for the RO's to score the targets quickly, so I figured I would ask who you guys think has the most consistently easy to see perfs on their targets.

• 1 month later...

Target Barn hands down. We had been using Target Barn for years until our club VP decided to shop by price. One supplier's targets were as you described very difficult to see the scoring lines. Another supplier had good perforations on the shoot side of the target but the non scoring border on the white side of the target was missing on most of, if not all of the target; This wasn't just a few targets, but a lot of 500 targets. Unless someone wants to donate our targets, we won't buy anything but Target Barn targets and pasters.

Target Barn hands down. We had been using Target Barn for years until our club VP decided to shop by price. One supplier's targets were as you described very difficult to see the scoring lines. Another supplier had good perforations on the shoot side of the target but the non scoring border on the white side of the target was missing on most of, if not all of the target; This wasn't just a few targets, but a lot of 500 targets. Unless someone wants to donate our targets, we won't buy anything but Target Barn targets and pasters.

Shooters Connection went through a batch of targets last year that did not have perfs on the no shoot side. They sold them at a discount and marked the boxes so we knew which ones were good for no shoot use. They are a huge supporter of the sport and get all if my business.

To the OP, keep in mind the rules limit how visible the perfs are so if they are USPSA approved targets there isn't much difference

• 2 weeks later...

This is a huge issue with target manufacture. The rules state the perfs can not be seen at 10 yards and they state there are to be no perfs on the no shoot side but on the border. (My supplier read "no perfs" on one batch and didnt perf the no shoot side. We did compensate clubs that got them with free targets to use as no shoots, as shoot targets they were perfect. That was a year and a half ago). I know some manufactures have made targets with full perfs all the way through all the scoring lines which makes them easier to see, but they are not legal targets per the specs. Getting the machine to perf one side and not the other is a very difficult task. And there comes the next issue with targets, the thickness in relation to cost of production and shipping. We did play with the idea of doing a thicker target to make it easier to perf but then shipping cost goes out the roof. We also were presneted Monday with a proposal to make a thinner target which would cut shipping in half but this would be harder to make the required perf specs. I am a proponent of changing the specs to allow the perfs to go through the no shoot side which would make production much easier and end this variation. For now we attempt to follow the specs as required and offer the best pricing and value considering all the variables involved.

Shooter's Connection hands down. You can't beat their shipping speed. Their prices are great, and their customer service is outstanding. We got some of those bad perf targets, and they made right on it very quickly. Great company to deal with. Their pasters are also good quality. They'll always have my business.

• 1 year later...

Shooters Connection is the best place I know of, both quality & prices are good.

Sorry, I don't agree. I've been trying to get ORSA to go with Midway for a while. A friend purchased a box of targets from Midway and they were the difference between night and day. I showed our match director one and even though he didn't say anything, I saw a real change in his expression. Shooters Connection targets are extremely hard to score because the perf is so light.

Sure other targets are easier to see the perfs but Shooters Connection targets can still be scored just fine. And the amount of sponsorship, level of customer service, etc Shooters Connection provides day in and day out makes having to take a closer look at targets well worth it. Nobody supports the sport more than Shooters Connection in my opinion! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm all about supporting those that support those that support our sport. But when you've got to drag your nose across each target to score it, something has got to change. Level II and III matches you only have so many minutes to run each shooter. If you can't see the perf, without climbing on top of the targets, you're going to have a back up in squads. It's not my call at ORSA, but if I were king for a day........

BTW, who gives a rats butt if there is scoring rings on the NS side of the target? A procedural is a procedural.

Sure other targets are easier to see the perfs but Shooters Connection targets can still be scored just fine. And the amount of sponsorship, level of customer service, etc Shooters Connection provides day in and day out makes having to take a closer look at targets well worth it. Nobody supports the sport more than Shooters Connection in my opinion! :)

I don't know if anything's changed recently -- but Target Barn was no slouch at match sponsorship either, when I was on the circuit......

Neither's MGM......

When I was involved in running matches, my club sourced targets from all three of those guys.....

There has to be an outer perf on no shoots. The perf represents the actual edge of the target

Absolutely -- I think what he was saying was "Does it matter if in addition to the outer scoring border, you can also see delineations for the A, B,C and D zones on the No-Shoot side of the target?"

I don't know if anything's changed recently -- but Target Barn was no slouch at match sponsorship either, when I was on the circuit......

Neither's MGM......

When I was involved in running matches, my club sourced targets from all three of those guys.....

Probably has much to do with locale. We are close enough to pick targets up at Shooters Connection in my neck of the woods.

And around these parts Shooters Connection never fails to support a match. Sure I've seen the others mentioned but not nearly as prominently in this particular part of Area 5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...