Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon Load Data for Xtreme 124 gr RN

Santini

Please excuse me...I'm new. I picked up some Xtreme 9mm 124 gr RN bullets. In researching the Hodgdon load data website, I can find no loads for this bullet. I know you should look for lead bullet info and use that. Hodgdon provides only eight loads for a 124 gr bullet...all of them are for a BERB HBRN TP. I'm not assuming I can use any of these.

I have available Titegroup, HP-38, and HS-6. Any help appreciated on load data for these bullets. I know they are very popular.

Thanks

Edited by Santini

BERB HBRNTP is a Berrys bullets hollow base round nose thick plate.

So, reasonably close to the Xtremes, and likely a pretty good starting point.

I'd suggest doing the "plunk" test to find an acceptable COAL for your pistol, and using plated or lead load data for TiteGroup to get a starting point, load a few and send them over the chrono.

A search here or on the interweb will give lots of starting numbers as both the powder and bullet are commonly used.

With both Xtreme 124g RN and HP, I'm using 4.2 grains of Titegroup at 1.15". Comes in around 1080 fps. Very accurate and nice shooting load. For me, the hps were just a bit more accurate at 15 yards out of my 5" M&P Pro.

I gave up on the Xtreme HPs, as at least so far, worse accuracy vs their RNs, and cost more for 'no benefit' in my case.

I believe the primary 'accuracy benefit' with jacketed bullets, e.g. MG and others' JHPs, is simply the flat base vs the open tip, so at least for me, no more Xtreme HPs...unless I dig out the last box and suddenly find 'magic' after chasing accuracy w/them for some time..

I've had good luck with the xtremes. I've heard some say that too much crimp is an issue with plated bullets since the plating is soft. Should only be removing the bell. Have no idea if that's your case or not, just throwing it out there.

124 Extreme RN

3.9 TG

CCI or Win SPP

1.145 to 1.150 OAL

Runs flawlessly in my RIA, 5" M&P, and M&P 9c.

Super accurate in the RIA. OK accurate in the M&P

Makes 129 PF in RIA. Makes 131 in the 5" M&P.