Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BBI Blue Bullets Bayou LEE FCD

GJGary

With the coated bullets is anyone running the FCD?

In my last station I use the Lee taper crimp and works great with no damage to the coating. 1st deprime size, flare prime, powder drop, seating die then taper crimp.

I use range 40 brass and half is tight in the gauge.

Does the FCD help with no damage to coating and under size which might lead to leading or is there a different route.

Edited by GJGary

Since Blue Bullets are now being sized to minimum groove diameter or the same size as jacketed you should not see any resizing through the FCD carbide ring. A very light taper crimp should be sufficient to finish the round. Be careful with the taper crimp, just a little dab will do ya.

You should really use a proper expander die and not just flare the case mouth. A non-expanded case can swage down a lead bullet and produce a round much less accurate.

So, the coating will resist gas-cutting from not filling the bore completely?

You should really use a proper expander die and not just flare the case mouth. A non-expanded case can swage down a lead bullet and produce a round much less accurate.

In the second station I use the flare ever so slightly and it helps hold the case during the up stroke prime for less priming issues (loadmaster).

I have a LNL powder drop and use the .40 (forgot the name) that goes into the case sizing it on the 3rd station.

So which dies are considered improper expanding dies. Just wondering if I can improve my process. Thanks

Dies that ONLY flare the case mouth (see the Lee Universal Expanding Die, which does not expand the case).

The case, particularly for lead bullets, should have an ID that is 0.001-0.002" less than bullet diameter. If your expander die doesn't do this, it is an "improper expanding die."

Dies that ONLY flare the case mouth (see the Lee Universal Expanding Die, which does not expand the case).

The case, particularly for lead bullets, should have an ID that is 0.001-0.002" less than bullet diameter. If your expander die doesn't do this, it is an "improper expanding die."

Thanks noylj. I have noticed how deep the expander actually goes into the case and was somewhat annoyed, but now it makes sense. Thanks, again.

• 1 month later...

I use the FCD to remove the flare and produce a light crimp. Has worked quite well for me with multiple well regarded brands* of coated bullets in 40 & 45.

Be cautious in setup.

*Some oversized bullet styles may not play well with a FCD.

• 4 months later...

I have used the Lee FCD with success loading 180 gr BBIs. This was not the case when I tried it for the 147gr BBIs in 9mm. My loads were tumbling and figured out the die was swaging the bullet. I changed to a taper crimp die and the problem went away.

People either love or hate the FCD, I believe if it is setup correctly it works just fine. I use the FCD in 9, 40, and 45, with oversize coated lead bullets and have never had a problem. Either people are not setting it up correctly or the inner diameter varies from die to die. The proper way to set up the FCD is as follows. Raise the ram of your press to the top of the stroke and screw the FCD down until it just touches the shell plate and tighten down the lock nut. Unscrew the top adjusting knob almost all the way out. Run a seated round at your desired OAL all the way into the FCD, when the handle has bottomed out hold it there and screw the top adjusting screw down until it makes contact with the round, lower the handle and scew the adjusting screw about a half turn down for a light crimp, a full turn down for a heavier crimp. I find my rounds work best at just slightly past halfway on the adjustment knob, maybe 55-60% of a turn. Raise the round back up into the FCD and check the crimp, and make slight adjustments from there.

If you setup your FCD that way I just dont see how it can swage down a bullet, I have measured the case mouth before and after going into my FCD, but before screwing down the adjustment screw, and I get, in 9mm about .3805-.381. I usually have my rounds "crimped" to .378-.379 depending. I have run .358 diameter 9mm bullets through the die and never had any leading or swaging problems.

Either the dies are not consistent from the factory or they are not being set up correctly by the end user, my money is on the latter.

• 3 weeks later...