Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who's shooting 9x23 right now?

Noximus03

I did the search and found about 200 posts that was all ove the place.

So, let me ask you guys. Does your gun have barrel holes? How do you like it compared to the other open calibers you've shot? Have you experimented with different powders?

I've been burning up some 9x23 brass in my 38super gun... Same load, same everything, other than I'm using regular 9mm dies instead of 38super dies to load the ammo. Just to let you know, it runs really well in a 38 super chambered STI Grandmaster...

Maybe sell it and buy powder and bullets for your 9mm and 38sc. Should fetch a good price on one of the gunbroker type auction sites if you sell it by the 1k bag.

I would never intentionally chamber an open gun to 9x23 now that the major PF is 165. BTW - I've had 9x23 slip by me and sized it with a 38 super die and it works in my 38 super.

I have a Tanfo that I think is actually chambered for 9x23 and it shoots super great, but noticeably bulges the 38 super brass.

Kinda late for that. I've already reamed the barrel out, and I'll start load testing this week. Just want a little insight on shooting the a gun chambered for it from guys with first hand experience with it.

Well in that case, i would shoot the 9x23 :) What powders are you thinking of trying? I would be interested in hearing the difference you notice over 9 Major. Are you shooting the cheely comp with a holes in the barrel?

Edited by DRobson

Oops, I didn't realize you had already reamed your 9x19 to 9x23.
I don't think you will see much difference between 9x23 and one of the 38 super varieties.

The cases on the 9x23 are really thick so there is a little less internal volume than a super or super comp but you certainly won't have any issues making major!

Yeah, report back on what you find after you have developed a load and run it for a while.

The Winchester 9X23 brass and the Starline 9X23 Comp brass are different. The Winchester brass is really thick in the lower half, the Starline isn't, which results in the Winchester having much less case capacity than the Starline. Also, the Starline is not nearly as durable and won't hold up to high pressure in an unsupported chamber like the Winchester will. http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/cartridge-review-9x23-winchester/

The Starline 9X23 Comp and Starline 38 Super Comp have very similar case capacity.

Well in that case, i would shoot the 9x23 :) What powders are you thinking of trying? I would be interested in hearing the difference you notice over 9 Major. Are you shooting the cheely comp with a holes in the barrel?

Yeah, DR. It has 3 holes and the shorty Cheely comp. I do love the gun, but I think it can run so much better with a longer round. I know I may not see any difference in 9x23 vs .38 SC, but it would cost me a considerable amount more to change this gun to an SC round than it would by going this route.

I'll be testing with VV 3n37, IMR 7625/4756, and HS6 with a combination of 115's and 124's. I'll let yall know the results as soon as I get it all up and running.

I've used 3 of the 4 powders you mentioned (never used 3n37) and have a schuemann 3 port barrel and a-zone compensator, and my favorite of those in 38 super was SR4756 with a 124 grain bullet. I also really liked the SR4756 with the 115 grain bullet, but dang it was mess to load as the cases are almost full and for me that juice isn't worth the squeeze. Second favorite is HS6 with either a 115 or 125 grain bullet.

Of course, YMMV! ;)

Edited by Bamboo

Update- Just had my first chrono session with the gun in its new caliber, and my mind is blown. Kinda kicking myself for being 9 major loyal all this time. Gun is flatter than I thought it would be, and the brass/primers look brilliant even though I'm a full 1.5 gr over what I loaded for 9 major. I used 3n37 for this first test using published data I found here. I started at 8.6 gr and worked my up by .2gr up to 9.2gr Max load.

8.6 gave me a 165.1 PF

8.8 gave me a 167.4 PF

9.0 gave me a 170.2 PF

9.2 gave me a 173.6 PF.

I liked the way the gun acted and felt at 9.0, so I'm going to train/compete with that load for now, but I have a bunch of 7625 that I will be running tests on next week.

WE started using 9x23 after our first open gun was 38super.

they didn't have rimless super back then otherwise things may have been different.

I have both 9 and 9x23 open guns and I prefer the 9x23.

No holes just screw-on comps shorty style.

Lately I've been using 3n38...

Nick

• 4 weeks later...