Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3Gun advice for n00b

Equipment.

Ask questions, when I started it was hard to find good advice locally on what worked and what was the tacticool product of the week. BE forum s great to learn from. Find an experienced shooter and try to squad with him or her. Ask questions, they don't mind. It will help you break down a stage.

KISS. Keep it simple, Less is better in many situations. Don't need lights, lasers, broom handles, slings, and junk hanging off your belt unless the stages or match call for it. After the match, don't be afraid to try other peoples guns or equipment before buying it to make sure it works for you. I spent many dollars on guns and junk that didn't work for me.Most expensive is not necessarily the best.

gerritm

Don't try to recreate the wheel.

Watch the good and experienced shooters and learn.

Don't try to emulate them until you start developing the skills.

Watch what equipment they use and how they use it. Again, don't jump in and just buy it because they have it.

See if you can borrow or try it out. Otherwise you will end up with a closet full of equipment that you don't use.

There are several different reasons why people shoot three gun. But, it basically boils down to one thing.

It is fun. Don't get wrapped up in being too competitive too fast, just focus on continual improvement.

And, ask lots of questions.

But most of all, find a way to have fun, even when things don't go perfect.

Don't be that guy that breaks the 180 and gets DQ'd. Just had a gun pointed at all of us during a 3 gun match and sympathetic was not my first response. Go slow, breath and think. You are already going to finish near the bottom that is assured so the pressure is off. Be safe, smile a lot and say things like "wow that was hard, how can I of done that better?". The older, bear belly crowd loves that attitude and will give plenty of glorious advice. Having fun and making friends is better than going too fast getting DQ'd and having everyone think you're a tool. Now with those encouraging words get out there and have fun.

JF

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The biggest thing beginners don't know is where their rifle bullets are arcing at every distance.  Shoot as many rounds of the long stuff as you can to really understand how the ballistics work and where you'll need to hold and how steady you need to be to break a perfect shot on the first shot.