Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long does your local USPSA match last?

tha1000

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the better question is how many stages or rounds per hour, ie, the match efficiency. I don't mind (and do enjoy) making a full day of it if the round count is high, but I don't want to bake in the sun or rain for five hours for a 90 round match.

Local indoor range has a low round count match once a month mid-week, with one hour time slots. It's on the way home, so no additional drive/traffic time, and an hour after work is no big deal. Wouldn't do something like this on a weekend though, when I want to spend the whole day doing something such as a match or golf.

most of my "local" uspsa matches are in the 4 +/- hour time frame (ie, either am or pm slots) with 125-175 round counts over 5-8 stages. and where possible I will shoot am and pm with different guns and make a full day of it (no kids and understanding wife).

the timekillers are usually getting everyone to help paste and reset every run (other than on deck and just shot/topping off).

Our club will be hosting the Mid Atlantic Sectional in October 23-25th

13 or more stages and over 300 rounds!!!!! Plus chrono, and will probably be Halloween themed.

Joe puts on monthly matches that are as good as Area matches!!!! No doubt I believe hammer down will be 7:30am.

Check out on FB:

USPSA at Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club

Our club will be hosting the Mid Atlantic Sectional in October 23-25th

13 or more stages and over 300 rounds!!!!! Plus chrono, and will probably be Halloween themed.

Joe puts on monthly matches that are as good as Area matches!!!! No doubt I believe hammer down will be 7:30am.

Check out on FB:

USPSA at Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club

Any indication when registration will open?

You guys are running a 10 stage match every month I hear? That like a sectional every month...

Match day is an all day affair, at the local range, for me. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Start shooting USPSA around 9, and finish up noon ~ 1 PM. Eat lunch and head back up the hill for side matches. Monthly side matches are shotgun one month and combat rifle the next month. Every month used to be 22 rim fire pistol and rifle but, nearly zero participation any more :blush:

There was a fairly long discussion of match times and the factors that effect them a couple years ago and there's no one correct answer. A big match can go fairly fast and a short one can go fairly long but there is a balancing point. For 60-70 shooters, 6 stages, 140-150 rounds, it's going to take roughly 4 hours to move everyone through, not including setup and tear down.

And that's assuming everything flows well and there are no backups. Backups are the killer - if you have too many people per squad and there's any backup then you end up with a squad that's sitting waiting and the time starts to pile up. There are some things that can be done to speed up the process but it all comes down to number of people and size of the match.

A good throughput is about 4 min per shooter for a 6 stage match. Multiply that by the number of shooters and the time adds up fast. The really odd thing is that the time shooting is probably the least important factor. Getting the shooter ready, scoring, and resetting take the most time and it's about the same for a medium and long COF.

Edited by Graham Smith

• 2 weeks later...

My range does most of the set up the day before or 2 days in advance.

Shooting starts at 10am and is done by 2. Then tear down takes an hour or less. Mostly what's asked of shooters is to tear down the stage they end with and the range staff load it up in their truck to take it all off each range.

The club I shoot at the most starts shooting at 0800 hours. We usually have a squad of 10 or less, but all very experienced shooters. Open squading. Scoring is done almost at the last round. Everyone tapes and sets, no on brasses. We move quick, and sometimes get in 4 stages before 1000 hours.There are always 6 stages, about 200 rounds, and one all steel stage, about 25 rounds. If there are only 60-70 shooters, we are done by 1030-1100, if there are 125-140 shooters, we are done by 1330 hours or so. There is some waiting with a greater number of shooters, but that is no different than a major match. And where else would you rather be on a Saturday anyway? At work,suck, at home, being domestic, suck, at the range, Yea!

Edited by 9x45

• 3 weeks later...

I've been competing for about 8 months now in USPSA, I'm now shooting both USPSA and IDPA, prior to that I had zero competition experience!

Typically we have anywhere between 40-70 shooters at a USPAS Match. I'd say over the past two months we've had an increase of at least 20 more competitors coming to compete. Don't know if it's the warmer weather, new shooters trying the sport out,,or what?

Anyway, with 40-50 competitors we begin at 0900 and finish about 1:30 pm. With 70 competitors we are there until just after 2:00 pm.? I wish the competitors would be a bit more attentive to taping and resetting targets! I'm guilty of chatting when we should be taping,,but being at the range until 1:30-2:00 makes for a long day! I have RO'd Scored and taped at the same time! So, I don't feel guilty if I get busy chatting instead of taping!

It would be nice to rip right through each stage, but I got so hooked into USPSA and IDPA I guess it's not too bad?!

As I mentioned ealier I just began the USPSA and IDPA thing about 8 months ago, knew zero about the sport prior!

I am addicted to the excitement, competition, reloading, and the excitement of the next and up and coming match!

Edited by GMANROD

In my experience having the stages setup the day before is the way to gain a lot of time. It's worth paying a little more and have setup and tear down taken care of.

In my experience having the stages setup the day before is the way to gain a lot of time. It's worth paying a little more and have setup and tear down taken care of.

It's a volunteer sport. I don't mind getting there early and helping. What else am I going to do the morning before a match.

I just have a hard time spending that much time at the range when I truly only spend less than two minutes actually shooting. Looks like I just need to accept it and start shooting more.

We put on a 6 stage match that averages about 125-140 rounds. We do some setup the night before, and the rest starting at 0800 the day of for those that want to help and shoot for free. Registration opens at 0900, first shots fired at 1000. We see an average of about 50-60 shooters a month.

On a good month, tear down starts around 1230-1300. On a bad month, we see it start at 1300-1400. We only ask that a squad tear down their own bay, and that never should take more than 15 minutes.