Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor Match Shoes

ES13Raven

I've been known to slide all over wearing oxfords coming to the match straight after work, but the best I have found is a good basketball shoe. Nike Hyperdunks for me. There are several sites that highlight shoe sales and you can find some good deals on nice shoes.

I'd just look for some current tech (2014 or newer) basketball shoes and call it good.

I know Mike in the post above. We shoot one of the same indoor matches. I've fallen on my face and slid into positions as if on ice wearing skate shoes. Vans, Converse, Puma. I tried just general trainer shoes like Saucony, Addidas and such with the same results. I'm gonna take his advice and get some court shoes.

A different range I practice at has slick concrete floors as well. I fell there Friday. (gun stayed in hand, finger off trigger, no shot fired) I elected to be done with movement for the day. It just isn't paying off to push it on slick indoor floors.

I've also thought about shoes with sticky rubber, like 5.10 approach shoes for climbing. But b-ball shoes are probably the best, and easiest, solution. I'll let you know when I get a pair. Or maybe I'll just spray a stick-em style spray on my shoes before each stage.....

I bought a pair of Salomon xa pro 3d and like them a lot. I was wearing Under Armours and slid out a couple times. 2 indoor matches and 4 practices without a slip. We can not use brooms to clean the range, only squeegees for brass gathering.

FWIW, I worked for 5.10 for a lot of years.

Their approach, and Mtn Bike, and freerunning shoes use a high carbon sticky rubber that sticks like glue to everything except polished concrete.

I thought they would be the ticket for the indoor matches I was shooting at the time...I was wrong.

I've had good luck with DC skate shoes and several others with herringbone treaded soles or similar.

Hmm, the forum wont let me 'quote' other posts.

well i fell down the rabbit hole on this one. looked at 5.10 approach and biking shoes. ( have two pair already from when i raced bmx and rode lots of dh) looked at basketball shoes. looked at court shoes for badminton, racquetball. skate shoes. indoor soccer shoes. big names, small names. read forums for those sports where people are talking about shoes.

toooo many hours today when I shoulda been dry firing. but none the less.....

510, skate shoes and such were discarded because i have them and they are not good for running. and i've already slipped in skate shoes once before.

court spot specific shoes like for squash, racquetball and so one looked OK, but the sole is very clunky. they look like trainers and not a single brand i recognized made them. the exception were indoor volleyball shoes by Mizuno. but they did seemed more designed for forward and back movement in the sole's shape and design. i could be wrong though.... but mostly the look of the outsole, lack of knowledge on my part and the inability to just go to Dicks or Academy or Sports Authority and look at them dissuaded me from experimenting.

basketball shoes seemed pretty good. i passed though as they didn't seem as soft at the eventual winner for me. obvoiusly designed for for working on a smooth surface, so for a lot of people this might be their best choice.

but after spending a lot of time on indoor hockey forums today it seems they are playing on polished concrete, much like most indoor ranges seem to be. many people there were choosing indoor soccer shoes. and i did too. i bought an adidas pair and they felt tacky to the touch. a sole design that will work moving in all directions. doesn't look all goofy and is a brand i know and could buy at a large sporting goods store.

for me, indoor soccer shoe seems to be the best pick. then probably a tie or close second would be low top basketball shoes. then if you were willing to try it, i'd say the court specific shoes for volleyball, indoor racquet sports would be where i'd go. last place would be the skate or 510 offerings in my opinion. i have an indoor match this thursday, so i'll let you know if i'm as right as i hope i am.....

I found a pair of Mizuno mens indoor volleyball shoes about 5 years ago that I use for indoor archery shoots. I haven't tried them for this sport. They are designed for an indoor court and have the traction for it. What I really liked was the heel was slightly lower and my feet feel really stable and planted when in a shooting position. Just a thought.

Interestingly enough Ronny, I sprayed some rosin spray on the bottom of my shoes and it did the same thing. Tested it in my garage, which is semi polished concrete and it made a discernible difference.

The Salomon Speed Cross 3 or Fellraiser shoes work great on the slippery indoor ranges as well. Even though those shoes have large lugs for generating traction on dirt or grass the soft rubber is what creates traction on the concrete floors. The number one thing that makes the concrete floor slippery in doors is the dust and target debris. Most of the indoor ranges that I shoot at also have the sticky pads at the door entrances that effectively strip the dust off the soles of your shoes. Before my stage run I will take a few steps on the sticky pad to clean the dust off my Salomon shoe soles then do my stage run. Doing this generates awesome zero slip traction for the stage run.

Edited by CHA-LEE

The Salomon Speed Cross 3 or Fellraiser shoes work great on the slippery indoor ranges as well. Even though those shoes have large lugs for generating traction on dirt or grass the soft rubber is what creates traction on the concrete floors. The number one thing that makes the concrete floor slippery in doors is the dust and target debris.

+1

I wear the same Speedcross 3's both indoor and outdoor.

Yes, been wearing Salomons since 2007 in Iraq. Great shoes overall. But I feel very unstable on them indoors when aggressively stopping and starting.. The chevrons on the bottom are a low durometer, but I feel them squirm and it is hard to settle quickly in them. To my feeling.

Yes, been wearing Salomons since 2007 in Iraq. Great shoes overall. But I feel very unstable on them indoors when aggressively stopping and starting.. The chevrons on the bottom are a low durometer, but I feel them squirm and it is hard to settle quickly in them. To my feeling.

I feel the same "Squirmy" feeling using the Speedcross 3 shoes due to the super soft rubber sole, especially on the heel side of the shoe. That is why I prefer to use the Fellraiser shoes. The rubber is slightly harder on the Fellraiser shoes so it eliminates the "Squirmy" feeling, but still soft enough to produce very good traction in pretty much all range surface conditions.

Funny, never having tried on the Speedcross ones, I've recently bought a pair of Fellraiser's and walking on hard surfaces I feel the squirmy. Not bad enough to really bother me, but I do feel it which makes me wonder how much squirm one has to deal with the Speedcross.

Funny, never having tried on the Speedcross ones, I've recently bought a pair of Fellraiser's and walking on hard surfaces I feel the squirmy. Not bad enough to really bother me, but I do feel it which makes me wonder how much squirm one has to deal with the Speedcross.

I don't have a durometer gauge to measure the actual "Softness" difference between the Speedcross and Fellraiser, but feeling the traction nubs by hand pushing them around and compressing them, the Speedcross traction nubs are quite a bit softer than the Fellraiser.

Any large lug type of sole that is made of soft rubber is going to have a certain amount of "Squirmy" feel to it on flat/hard surfaces. The Fellraiser just has a lot less pronounced "Squirmy" feel to it than the Speedcross.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Oh I get it, I actually ordered the fellraiser specifically because they had more lugs (or looked like they had more lugs), and I expected them to be a bit froggy on hard surfaces. My comment was mostly meant to point out that the problem doesn't go away completely, it is more tolerable with the Fellraisers.

• 7 months later...

I have had good luck with my Keen Voyageur shoes, the fairly large lug voids seems to ride over a 9mm case if I step on one during a stage. Somewhat heavy in weight. The rubber is fairly sticky. Also my Tennis specific court shoes seem to work pretty well.

Eric

I think your best bet is to wear shoes made for sports played on concrete. That would be outdoor basketball shoes or tennis shoes (like shoes actually made for tennis). I use a pair of tennis shoes and they grip and stick to concrete like crazy.

http://www.complex.com/sneakers/2013/01/the-10-best-tennis-sneakers-for-hard-court-surfaces

Edited by thejez