Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What changed?

nheiny13

What has happened to brownells? I used to be able to place an order ands it was shipped usually the next day. That hasn't happened my last few orders. I just placed an order on Friday and it's Wednesday now and the order only has a label created and hasn't shipped? What changed? In addition to that they've started shipping the USPS packages via UPS which is also slower

Discount pricing has gotten less or no discount at all, they are forgetting who got them to where they are today(gunsmiths).

Rich

Unfortunately, you are correct, but from what the web site looks like, that is no longer the main focus group. The business has become very competitive and they have not kept up. I also dislike the constant popups on the website asking if I want to talk to people.

Thing is they had to change. They have to compete with Midway and other places that basically sell the same stuff cheaper. I doubt the would have been able to stay in business with the "we are for gunsmiths" mentality. Sure, in this day and age they need to figure out how shipping really works before Amazon decided to get into the gun part racket, but I find they still have one of the best parts and tools selections.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently received an email from Brownell's customer service department. I ordered Titegroup powder from them in April 2013 and it is still on backorder. The email I received notified me that my credit card had expired and that I had seven days to contact them and make alternative payment arrangements or my order would be canceled. I contacted them and advised them that my credit card HAD NOT expired. (It expires at the end of May, which is about seven weeks away - I haven't received my new one yet, but imagine I will soon). I advised the service representative that I expected my order to remain open and asked why they believed my credit card had expired. He assured me the order would remain open, but had no explanation for why the email had been sent to me advising me that the credit card had been expired. I made sure he repeated back to me that there was no problem with my order, and that my powder was still on backorder. I ten send an email to Brownell's customer service and used the representative's name and related th entire story to them in writing. I still don't have a real warm and fuzzy feeling about my order and will follow up and check the status in a week or so. It is almost as though they were looking for an opportunity to cancel the backorder!

I had an order take a while around Christmas but lately orders have been shipped the next day and I get the product in 2-3 days.

Pricing doesn't really seem crazy either, the items I've bought have been similarly priced elsewhere.

Edited by technetium-99m

I placed an order from them about a month ago and got it three days later. It was mostly small tools and compound. One part was on backorder but was promply shipped out the following week. The prices for most items are on par with many others but the tool selection is great. I just get tired of seeing so many things on backorder. The compound I got from them was cheaper than anyone else, including Amazon.

• 2 months later...

I still seem to get decently quick shipping. Usually arrives about 3 days after I order... And I'm in Indiana. I've also debated the new shipping program. Their shipping costs are decent for huge orders but a small part is not really worth it when shipping is $8 minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

What changed? Brownell's adopted the Amazon Prime shipping model. I suspect that's got them on Edge. :roflol:

I try to buy from Brownell's whenever possible. Midway has pissed me off enough times over the years that they're now my last resort.

Unlike Midway, Brownell's still honors my C&R for dealer pricing.

• 2 years later...

This is almost 3 years later and things have not changed.  I live 3 hours east of Brownells and just a little

north of them in Illinois.  Orders still take 7-10 days and go to Kansas City, MO before coming to Illinois.

Kansas City is 4 hours west and south of Montezuma, IA and Kansas City is 7 hours west and south of

where I live.  I realize the stuff has to go to a USPS Distribution center, but going south then back north

does not make any sense to me.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I realize it has to go to a USPS Distribution center, but going south then back north

does not make any sense to me.

You must be pretty young if you still think anything to do

with a Gov't agency might make sense ....    :surprise:

Do you still feel that is also "unfair" ?    :) 

No, not young, but over the last few years Brownells shipping has gotten worse,

but I still order from them.  Don't believe I said anything about it being unfair. 

As a friend use to say "it is what it is".

Ive been ordering a few items lately, Havent noticed a problem. I used to buy lots from them 10 plus years ago... Problem i=for me is their websight SUCKS, It used to be alot better,,  You either get a gazzilion matches or only a small percentage of what you are looking for.
I ended up just downloading the catalog in PDF,,  and then with my last order got a catalog,,  So much easier to flip to the section you want.