Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want to try open

BiggMike

I need a little help. I want to try the open division but I am torn. I have 4 Tanfoglios for limited and IDPA but I want to play in open. I would like to stay with Tanfoglio but I have been reading that making 9mm major is hit or miss. Seeing that I might buy a Trubor or the new STI DVC but I would like to stay with what I know. Has anyone been able to make 9 major safely and if so, how has the Gold Team been holding up. Also, what is the mag situation for the Gold Team; does anyone sell big sticks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've got a Gold Team in .38 super and love it. I have 6 Tanfos in all and I went with the gold team because I like the Tanfo platform. They have some on GB or you may could convert one of your existing ones. I bought the .38 super 25 rd factory mags and I'm still tinkering with spring combos but can put a Grams spring in with a special base pad I had made and get 27 in there. I was able to get 29 with a different pad but it was just a tad too long to be legal.

I don't think you'll be disappointed going with a Gold team. It was my first open gun and I think for a little over $2k I was ready to go but I bought mine used.

Gump

The best female USPSA shooter in the state of FLorida,

was using a CZ type pistol for OPEN = shooting major. :cheers:

Jack, who is this woman and what is she shooting? "CZ type" covers a lot of ground and in the context of this conversation this:

CZ-Czechmate-Open.png

is very different than this:

witness_elite_gold_team.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

Sorry, Atlas, I'm a TruBor shooter, and not too familiar with CZ

looking guns (They ALL look alike to me). :ph34r:

But, both she and her husband were shooting them and did

VERY WELL with them - they've both now switched over to

STI type guns (don't know which one - believe he built them

himself). :cheers:

Guys, thanks for all the input. It looks like I will be getting a GT but now the fun part; it seems as though 38 Super will make major with no problems but 9mm major is cheaper. So I guess I'm asking is making major with 9mm to close to the line in the GT? I'm trying to avoid sending the gun off to a smith to change the barrell or plug up holes. I've done a search and I have heard alot of people are kind of scared to push the 9mm cartridge to far. I was thinking with a 125gr bullet, I'll need to hit roughly 1350 - 1375 fps on a constant basis to make major. I know 9mm +p+ is roughly 1400 fps per second, however; I have shot that round and I felt like it was going to blow up in my hand. What's a good powder to drive a 9mm that fast? Right now I have N320, Power Pistol and Blue Dot. Once again thanks for the input.

125gr pill is a good idea to take the sting out of the slap in the hand, N320 is way too fast, Blue dot is probably too slow, so Power Pistol is probably your best shot of those three. I bought a Bedell super shorty (4.4" barrel) with three holes which came with some PP loads, they made major but were pretty violent.

I think Autocomp, CFE Pistol or HS6 with a 125 is the best bet for major in a 9mm GT. Before I gave up and sold my 9mm GT top end I made 164pf with 8.3gr of HS6 under a 124; with the same load I could count on ~8% more velocity with my CZ (same length barrel, no holes).

I've got a Gold Team in .38 super and love it. I have 6 Tanfos in all and I went with the gold team because I like the Tanfo platform. They have some on GB or you may could convert one of your existing ones. I bought the .38 super 25 rd factory mags and I'm still tinkering with spring combos but can put a Grams spring in with a special base pad I had made and get 27 in there. I was able to get 29 with a different pad but it was just a tad too long to be legal.

I don't think you'll be disappointed going with a Gold team. It was my first open gun and I think for a little over $2k I was ready to go but I bought mine used.

Gump

Where did you get your mags from?

The tanfo v12 gold team is one gun that is probably a bit easier to load for in super than 9mm. I'm of the mind that 9major is generally fine but in a v12 gt I'd personally run super.

Having said that a 9mm gt using a 124gn cmj or even coated lead (for a bit more speed) and auto comp could do the job nicely.

It will certainly be a bit hard in the hand but should shoot nice and flat.

I love my super good team. :)

Thanks guys. I think I'm going the 38Super route, I know I can get a top end but I want a purpose built gun for open.. I looked up a Trubor and it is $2700 before mags and everything else. If I stay with the Tanfoglio, then I will probably have enough to get that Dillon 1050 I was looking at. I'm so nervous that I might just stay with limited and call it good.

I have a lim pro that I shou have back soon. I sent it off for a comp and v ports. Much less then a gold team. If you have a limited or lim pro in 38 super that may be an option. It takes time to get it back from the smith but I'm excited for results. If not you could get a match, have 900$ worth of parts and work done and have a really nice open set up for around 1200$ I'm sure atlas has a few ppl he could recomened as well.

Come on over to the dark side open is a blast. Best of luck if you make the jump!!

Well I did make the jump. I found a good price on a brand new STI Trubor in 9mm major, I will be hands on today. I really wanted to stay with the Tanfoglio for open but the price of the new barrel , comp and mags (especially 170mm mags) made the choice for me. When everything worked out; the Trubor was slightly cheaper and it is just more options on the STI platform. I am planning to build a Tanfoglio open gun but I want to plan it out. Thanks everyone for all the help.

I think you STI guys just like teasing us Tanfoglio nuts. (I feel like a rejected prom date:) I do like my Gold Team. I've shot a Steel for 10 years and a Limited Pro for 5 years so with all the magazines and parts I've accumulated, the Gold Team was an easy decision.

Actually I got the mags for free. That was a surprise to me. A big stick and 4 other mags. Of course the STI was more than the GT but the free mags made it easy. A GT build is in the works.

Edited by BiggMike