Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC vs CK Arms 9mm Open

JAF1680

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can it be fitted like that? Im asking because when I place the shell against the breach face ...the extractor barely contacts it. It just falls straight out without an movement other than picking it up. How can it be tuned to move the hook further back? Closer to the breach face?

The shoulder(not sure what else to call it) needs to be fitted/filed so it brings the hook closer to the case. If the hook is so far forward that it is not in the groove regardless, then there is something wrong somewhere else.

Edited by echotango

this is what I mean by the shoulder. It does not take much to bring it in closer. You will have to install/remove it many times to get it right. I have a few aftecs and never had an issue with length. But they are not a drop in part.

post-58772-0-90477800-1462810216_thumb.j

Edited by echotango

• 2 weeks later...

9 major is tough to buy. No factory ammo will be major and very few remanufacturers will make up 9 major for you.

There are a few more doing 38 super. Atlanta arms and ammo make major 38 super ammo designed for ipsc open guns and it has an excellent reputation. Cost is really the only barrier.

You could go 9mm and shoot minor (just regular factory 115gn 9mm) and save up for reloading gear? That'll get you in the game. Or do the same with the 38 super, buy the aa+a ammo, keep the brass and then start reloading when you can.

If budget is an issue 9 is going to be cheaper.

So if I take a little material off that rectangle area it might fix my issue? I'm trying it tonight! I had given up on the Aftec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did that help? I also have a DVC open and put the aftec in, when I did it was to far forward it wont hold a round next to the breech face in super or comp. I said screw it and shot it 500+ rounds later not one FTE with super or comp, and no extractor dings on the case. Even shoots minor with no problems ejecting now.

• 2 weeks later...

I will likely be murdered for saying this by STI guys but...

Several guys I know have bought brand new STI's. An Edge, a couple DVC Limited's, and a DVC Open.

ALL of them had multiple issues right out of the gate. The Edge was the worst, when my buddy called STI a week or two after purchase he was told "We need to do some more work on the barrel, you need to send it back". 4 MONTHS LATER he got his "new" gun back. He still had to tinker with the ejector when he got it back. Seems to run well now.

The others had various mag, ejection, or failure to go into battery issues. Once sorted, they seem to run well, but there seem to be a lot of teething issues with factory STI's. (Of course they all require "mag tuning", I think that goes without saying)

To me (and this is just my opinion) if you spend that kind of money on a gun, it better frickin' run and run and run and run. Sending a gun back for 4 months within a week or two of buying it?! Get outta here. Not for me.

I'm a CZ guy and run a Czechmate in Open (which has fulfilled my #1 requirement that it needs to work), but I fully intend on running a 2011 Open gun down the road. Based on what I've seen these friends deal with and what I've read here, I will be buying a custom 2011 without a doubt. The couple hundred extra for the CK is almost certainly worth skipping all the fuss of trying to make your new Open gun work, haven't heard or read anything about those being anything other than awesome right out of the gate (although I'm sure mag tuning applies there too).

Because no one ever buys a custom gun and has problems with it running out of the box?

My 3 STIs have all run out of the box. My only race gun issue has been with one MBX mag, and that got fixed quickly.

I blame some on shooters who buy an STI and immediately change out things like the extractor (because "everyone" knows they don't run from the factory) to an Aftec but don't bother to fit it. And on and on.

I'm guessing some of it is shooter dependent and some spotty QC, but unless you're getting a Glock there's always a chance you'll have an issue.

Edited by peterthefish

Theoretically, being hand built implies higher quality control. Brazos custom (for example) does quite a business simply taking stock STI's and "tuning" them (i.e. making them work correctly) which is what I'm sure STI does when they have someone send a gun back. When my friend with the Edge sent it back, STI told him to send all his mags back too... so they could tune everything and make sure it runs. It seems like they send guns out hoping they'll work well, (and I'm sure many do) but when they don't, they have you send it back and then get the gun tuned right.

Some of the hassles had to do with not doing their homework on reloading for a 2011, (like reloading their ammo to 1.180 OAL or longer) but still had to send them back even after correcting the load issues. Additionally, despite the advice from some of us that run steel "race-guns", one of the guys never seemed to clean or lube the gun enough. His gun has been more reliable since figuring it out.

So yes, there was some learning curve involved on the shooters part. There is some kind of shared responsibility there, absolutely.

Like I said, I'm sharing what I've witnessed first hand. Reading through the forums here, they don't appear to be alone though. Obviously the 2011 is an awesome platform or the vast majority of pro's (and pretty much everyone else) wouldn't be running them. I'm just arguing that if you are going to spend the kind of money this guy is looking at spending for an open gun, you seem to be more likely to end up with a reliable gun when you make your purchase if it's coming through a shop that took the time to do thorough quality control and hand-built it. That's it. I'm sure that doesn't eliminate every issue possible every time, but you sure don't hear about many SVI's, CK's, FGW's, Brazos Customs, etc. having reliability problems.

You are absolutely right though, you are liable to have QC issues with any firearm. It's easy for me to say that "at that price it should run perfectly" but they are much less expensive than all the custom 2011's out there, and if they did all the custom work, they'd be custom prices too.