Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye vs. Titegroup

Justin C.

I plan on reloading 45ACP Berry's 230 gr RN bullets. I have both Bullseye and Titegroup powder available. I know that both of these powders are widely used for 45s and each has it's own proponents. I am a new Reloader, so that is the reason for the questions. Is one of these powders easier to handle and measure due to shape of the powder? Spherical vs wafer or flake easier to use? I would appreciate the opinions of experienced reloaders. Looking for a clean, soft load for bullseye shooting.

Both powders meter well.

Titegroup is cleaner than Bullseye-subjectively.

I've found Titegroup capable of good accuracy with 230 gr. bullets (but prefer WST in reduced/"target loads").

Plated bullets will not be as accurate as FMJ/JHP or cast/coated lead IME. The H&G 200 gr. SWC is an old school favorite for a reason; accuracy.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used both. Have shot many lbs of titegroup and been happy but can't find that and did find 8lbs of Bullseye.

Titegroup seems to be the more popular choice.

It does burn hot but that hasn't ever caused me any issues.

Both meter well

Titegroup leaves a stain on the brass that takes longer to tumble off

Recoil may be a little sharper with Titegroup but I bet I couldn't tell the difference if they were mixed in a mag.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience Titegroup makes for "snappier" recoil at the exact same power factor vs. Bullseye. Bullseye is a softer shooting powder in 9mm, 40 minor/major and 45 in my experience. As others have stated, both meter well and will provide good accuracy in any gamer caliber.

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer WST and Bullseye for my 45 loads. Both are quite useful and capable for loading light as well as making major. I love the "gentle" recoil of a light WST load. You can make some real bunny farts with Bullseye too.

I prefer WST and Bullseye for my 45 loads. Both are quite useful and capable for loading light as well as making major. I love the "gentle" recoil of a light WST load. You can make some real bunny farts with Bullseye too.

I do like WST for minor .45 loads too. 3.9 gr WST under a SNS cast 230 gr loaded to 1.265 gives me 658 fps so 151 PF out of my Trojan. Put in a 12# recoil spring and it feels like 9mm minor.

I did shoot Win 231, but then the powder shortage messed that up. So now I use TG in both 45 and 9.

Both of these are flattened ball powders which meter better than wafer or flake. Which lead to more consistant rounds.

I often see where tite group is referred to as being a hot burning powder. How do you determine that it is hotter burning that bullseye for an example? I understand that this is not the burn rate as indicated by a burn rate chart.

While this is subjective, I discovered TG as being hot burning by: touching the slide of my gun after running 7 consecutive Bill Drills (burned the hell out of my hand), consistently having TG melt the fiber optic rod off my front sight, and picking up spent brass whilst looking for pressure signs.

On the burn charts I've seen Bullseye is slightly faster than Titegroup yet I don't see anyone saying Bullseye is hot burning or a snappy recoiling powder.

I'm about to compare them since I just scored 8lbs of Bullseye and I'm down to less than 1/2 lb of Titegroup.

Edited by Willz

Bullseye was introduced by Laflin & Rand in 1898. Large surface area per unit weight enables rapid combustion in short-barreled handguns. Laflin & Rand began production using small, irregular particles removed by screening runs of larger grained powders. Improved manufacturing processes offered other reclamation options for reduced quantities of rejected material. Hercules manufactured Bullseye as thin, round flakes.[9] It is believed to be the oldest smokeless powder formulation still being manufactured in the United States.[11] It is designed for handguns and can also be used in 12-gauge shotgun target loads

• 4 weeks later...

I've used Bullseye in 45 ACP and 9mm for a long time. The only thing I don't like is that it's kinda "sticky" and doesn't empty easily from my Chargemaster 1500. I have to use a brush to push it out whereas the other powders I use just flow right out of the hopper when I open the drain.

TG and BE are both great.... seem a little less smoke no matter what I'm shooting with BE. TG has deviation in the single digits even with range brass for me in both the 9mm and .45 loads I make. I have ample quantities of both and it's pretty much all I look for.

Both powders meter well.

Titegroup is cleaner than Bullseye-subjectively.

I've found Titegroup capable of good accuracy with 230 gr. bullets (but prefer WST in reduced/"target loads").

Plated bullets will not be as accurate as FMJ/JHP or cast/coated lead IME. The H&G 200 gr. SWC is an old school favorite for a reason; accuracy.

+1

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

The terms hotter and faster burning are being used interchangeably here. It really depends on what you mean. Bullseye may generate a quicker pressure curve, resulting in a higher velocity for the same charge, but Titegroup burns hotter. This is my subjective opinion based on picking up just fired brass at the range, This would support Accu9's observation. We need to be precise with our terminology when responding to a shooter who admits he is a new reloader.

About Titegroup, if used in a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 remove the powder as soon as your done because it will eat right into the clear hopper tube and even the green base area. Otherwise I have had good performance with it in 9mm. I'm pretty new to reloading so, I don't understand the major,minor load lingo. :cheers:

I've noticed exactly the same thing about Bullseye. It's also "sticky" and doesn't flow out of the Chargemaster very well, but I really like its performance in 9mm &.45acp