Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Older and wiser about health my new fitness routine and equipment

glenr

Well like a lot of people on here I have decided to get in better shape, by the way of exercise. Having hit the mid 60's this past year. Not a gym type, some thing I could do at home with minimal low cost equipment.

We have owned most of the big named machines for the home, Wife was the driving force behind the purchases. Every single one ended up being a clothes hanger in one room or another before making their way to one of the local charities.

So this time I decided to keep it low and cheaper tech. I also wanted to improve my fitness level to improve my shooting in the local leagues at the range. Only been shooting actively for two years, and league for 10 weeks and starting another one soon.

In looking around for an easy start I found Aldi's has equipment on sale, every couple of months. At better prices than most discounters.
The first set I bought were wrist and ankle weight with 1.1 weights.
IMG_2214-horz.jpg
I put the weights on the ankles and wrists in the mornings and wear them all day. I do take the wrists ones off if I am going some place I will have to take the coat off.

I started with 4 sets of 25 rep's over the course of a day and then increasing to 50 reps. This is from a sitting position with elbows on knees bringing hands to head level. I spread them over the day/night.

After a couple of weeks I in creased the weight of each of the weights. As over the course of 40 years the wife collected an assortment of them.
IMG_2210.jpg
You can get cheaper vinyl covered weights at Wally World type stores.
I have progressed to starting on 10 pounders today. And intend to start with lifting from my sides in a standing position, till I can get them straight out and hold for a minute.

My mother lives in an assisted living apt. they have an in house Rehab/PT I asked about the pedal exerciser that I see every time I walk by their door. They said it is good for low impact for both the arms when used on the table and legs when on the floor.
IMG_2213-horz.jpg
I also bought one of those ab rollers, I can say that I can feel the burn as they say when I use it. Every other day, and I am double the length of time for each series before adding more reps. I bought it at the local Meijers stores, in the Great Lakes area for $29.99 no shipping fees. Cheaper than TV and you get the free knee pads.
I am not trying for 6-8 pack ab's at my age, because even if I did achieve something that resembled them I probably still be two bottles short!

The pedal exerciser is the same model they use at the rehab center my mother was at and at her apt

Drive Medical exercise peddler

They sell them locally in most of the big box sporting goods stores and exercise equipment places. Same number but they vary from $54.99 to $79.99. Best price was on Amazon with the prime and 2 day shipping.
I have started with 10 minutes a day with the arms and 10/15 minutes with the legs. So far it seems to be working well.

I was thinking of that trigger trainer trigger trainer but the price put me off. plus I have one of those fake pistols for use with my laser training targets.

What I found will probably work just as well.
IMG_2211-horz.jpg
I first used the hand squeezers, but I quickly over came the spring tension. I then found the Grip master, they have a number of different styles. The one in the photo is 9 a pounder spring and figured that would work. I do 3 sets of 10 reps of squeeze and hold for 3 seconds.
Along with the dry fire practice, laser targets, range days I hope to improve my fitness level a notch or two.

For not a lot of money, or machines that take up a lot of space. You can start on your path to improvement too!

That's the spirit - fitness is imperative as we get older. There are many low-cost solutions, as you have learned.

Went by the local gym, looked in the windows, it definitely not the place for me! All it did is remind of that gym TV commercial with the muscle guy that keep repeating I lift THINGS! I did one lap back to the truck, and home. I figured that I could do everything in the same amount of time it would be drive back and forth and changing etc. :bow:

Over the last five years I've turned into a gym rat. The one thing I do get out of the gym often is motivation. Lots of folks in there just showing off, lifting with bad form, throwing weights, etc however you can spot the folks that know what they are doing and learn from them. Most have no issues giving tips, suggestions, or even working out with you. A good gym partner can help push you past plateaus and help with progress. I started off at home with an elliptical but ended up in the gym 4-5 days a week. Three years later I'm down 70 lbs of fat and up 18 lbs of muscle. I'll be 50 this month and I'm probably in the best shape since high school.

Gyms may not be for everyone but they have their place. Keep doing what your doing. If you are seeing progress then that's all that matters.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Over the last five years I've turned into a gym rat. The one thing I do get out of the gym often is motivation. Lots of folks in there just showing off, lifting with bad form, throwing weights, etc however you can spot the folks that know what they are doing and learn from them. Most have no issues giving tips, suggestions, or even working out with you. A good gym partner can help push you past plateaus and help with progress. I started off at home with an elliptical but ended up in the gym 4-5 days a week. Three years later I'm down 70 lbs of fat and up 18 lbs of muscle. I'll be 50 this month and I'm probably in the best shape since high school.

Gyms may not be for everyone but they have their place. Keep doing what your doing. If you are seeing progress then that's all that matters.

Agreed. My wife and I have spent thousands of dollars on fitness equipment. It saw a lot of use when we lived outside of the city. Now, its just 3 miles to the nicest gym I've ever used. Where you do it doesn't really matter, but working out in general is a great thing for most of us.

Keep up the good work Glenr. :cheers:

I used the excuse that with shooting weekends and after work I didn't have time to work out. A fellow shooter said what about 5 am? So instead of drinking coffee until the minute I turn in I switched to nighty night tea, a slightly earlier bed time and a 4:30 am wake up call. Sleep less work out more is the formula for me at my age.

I like your approach. I go to the gym but I also have some low budget/low tech stuff I keep around the house for the days when I can't make it to the gym.

Be mindful of soreness and listen to your body. If something feels wrong, stop. Lesson I have learned the hard way (and more times than I care to admit).

Good luck with your training.

I used the excuse that with shooting weekends and after work I didn't have time to work out. A fellow shooter said what about 5 am? So instead of drinking coffee until the minute I turn in I switched to nighty night tea, a slightly earlier bed time and a 4:30 am wake up call. Sleep less work out more is the formula for me at my age.

That is exactly what my wife and I do. Even though I despise getting up that early, it's worth it to have less folks at the gym and to get it done......

Until 2 years ago I was a 5 morning a week gym person. Injuries made me stop. I truly HATE gyms due to the flu bugs and colds that are prevalent there.

This winter has been a long recovery from a couple more surgeries but I have started getting back in shape. At 64, it comes back slower and slower. Between my Physical therapy and home, I am progressing. The two things that help me the most are body weight straps and exercise rubber tubes. Not real expensive and they work real well. The tubes allow just about every exercise type including squats and leg press and they take up very little space.

As soon as I am off these damn crutches and can walk, I will be back on my bicycle.

Here are the straps and tubes:

https://www.trxtraining.com/

http://www.bodylastics.com/collections/all-products

One thing I have learned, any exercise is better than none. Best of luck in your new program

Staying fit as you get older is hard. I've fallen in love with my bicycle. Got it last year at age 62 because my knees are shot. It's really helped my wind and keeps my heart rate down so hitting difficult targets on long courses is much easier. Nice outdoors exercise too.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/28/2015 at 3:55 PM, EricG said:

Stay motivated is the key until you feel guilty for not exercising you got to find ways to keep it up.

On 12/28/2015 at 3:55 PM, EricG said:

Stay motivated is the key until you feel guilty for not exercising you got to find ways to keep it up.

This is so true!! Once you start to feel guilt it’s a life style change.