Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glasses for trap

wildman6809

I ear my regular glasses as they give me distance. My shooting glasses are set up to allow me to see the front site on my pistol clearly. I don't think that they would be ideal for a fast moving clay out at 35 yards and beyond. I've worn clear and also my sunglasses. If they weren't so damned expensive I'd get another pair just for clays, rose lenses, distance only.

Randolph Ranger XLW's and/or RR Edge is what I use. Get a few sets of lenses based on the background you most often shoot.

Pale yellow and CMT can work darn near everywhere and will cover you for bright sun and very limited light.

Pick another color or two based upon where you shoot. For example the purple works pretty well for me on a lush green background to make the targets pop (stand out) from the background. Snow and desert environments require a different choice.

I long to see that lush green background again...soon. :rolleyes:

Ranger from Morgan optical. Various color changes dependent on background and sun light. Color also changes if you you shooting black rim targets vs all Orange or green. Most optic shops have a color wheel with recomended colors for overcast vs bright days, background color such as trees vs desert and target / rim color. Morgan can provide perscripition lens as well.

• 2 months later...

I've used Decot Hy-Wyds for skeet and trap for many years. They set the standard early with lenses that would highlight targets in varying lighting conditions. They were always somewhat expensive, but most all glasses are these days.

I just got my Oakley radar lock glasses with the G30 polarized and G40 photochromic lens as well as the Prizm baseball infield. Only reason for this purchase was a good employee discount that I was offered. I like it a lot better than the other glasses I have been using-smith/Wesson polarized, Arnette polarized, Jackson polarized nemesis safety glasses and Jackson nemesis bronze/camo safety glasses.

• 4 weeks later...

I used Decot Hy-Wyds for 20 years, but switched to Pilla Outlaws last year. They are pricey, but are the "shield" style without a center post and the lens are incredibly clear. I end up shooting in the 38 lenses most of the time. Supposedly, let's 38% of the light through.

Hello: You can also use the Rudy Project Photo lenses if you want to shoot in changing light conditions. I am going to try some Photo Browns next. They are transmit light from 12%-50%. You can also use the RX insert and change the lens also. Good combo I think. Thanks, Eric

In the trapshooting arena the Pilla's are becoming more and more common. As stated above no center post. Also the lens colors relate to the amount of light that is allowed to pass through the lenses. A three set package will usually be adequate for most light conditions. I have 22's, 38's and 62's which covers most light conditions very well.

In the trapshooting arena the Pilla's are becoming more and more common. As stated above no center post. Also the lens colors relate to the amount of light that is allowed to pass through the lenses. A three set package will usually be adequate for most light conditions. I have 22's, 38's and 62's which covers most light conditions very well.

Yes,seeing a bunch of Pillas on the skeet fields.

• 1 year later...