Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not hip to the terms

ty34984

I have used the search and came up with nothing so please forgive me. If someone said "My gun has been stoked" what are they speaking about.

I remember oh 30 years ago I was "stoked" when i got my first car but in reference to a firearm I have no idea :huh:

Yeahi think they meant they were super stoked that their gun has been stroked.

It's modding the slide to allow a longer stroke. More of a limited thing than open. The idea being a longer stroke gives you more time/length to slow down the rearward travel enough to reduce that final muzzle lift inducing impact.

I've used shok-buffs ever since they came out, I like them. There are an equal # of people who don't like them.

It's like the Chevy/Ford thing, although I think that has died down quite a bit in the last 30 years or so.

I agree with you statement, I just wonder why the snake oil comment. Glk21C watching the topic but doesn't answer must just like stirring the pot rather then make a intelligent comment, or clarification of it.

I'm a buff fan. 6" .40 with a soft-ish plastic/rubber buff and a thin aluminum buff to keep the plastic one from breaking down as quickly.

So, yes, I substantially UN-stroked my pistol. And, I like it!

Was at a training a year or so ago and one of the manufacturers of a shock buff was there. It was communicated that the shock buff's do nothing; they are manufactured because there is a market for them.

Well you statement is snake oil. Shooters us them and like the way they change the FEEL of the gun under recoil. So they do something just not what you want.

I guess I'm a do nothing guy, I have 2 a Wilson first then a dawson alum and it really changes the feel of recoil. Hence the interest of wanting longer slide movement when I have shortened mine.

I will settle for a "to each their own" Thanks for you clarification of your statement. I would be curious to know who made that statement.

Was at a training a year or so ago and one of the manufacturers of a shock buff was there. It was communicated that the shock buff's do nothing; they are manufactured because there is a market for them.

Again, I would be interested in the "training" glk21c was at and what manufacture made that statement. To step on a limb I'm going to call "BS"

Shortening/lengthening the stroke certainly changes the character of the recoil impulse, along with bullet weight, slide weight, grip strength and countless other variables. If there was just one objectively perfect solution this game would be pretty boring

So true, I viewed on slow motion video all guns recoil up and down they look flat when shot but video doesn't lie "it how much makeup you put on the freckle" that will change the feeling. I had just never heard of "Stoked" lengthening the movement, I always was shorting the stroke to change the feel.

When I first read about Akai Stroking guns I was very intrigued by the concept, so when I figured out an easy way to try it with my Hunter, I dove in. Because of the recoil system design I can reverse the process by simply changing the guide rod assembly for an unmodified one which let's me isolate the effect and I can tell you on that pistol it definitely has a noticeable softening effect to the recoil impulse.

Where I would really like to try it is with one of my short Open guns, I think it can really mitigate the snap of the huge charges required to make major in a 4.4" barrel with three holes.

I think stroking, like moving to a heavier bullet is a way to soften a violent gun, whereas de stoking adds snap to an overly sluggish feeling gun.