Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1985 Steel Challenge

outerlimits

Are you positive that's 1985, it looks a little earlier? IIRC 1986 it moved from the Canyon Country range. I recognize Mike Plaxco, Nick Pruit, and Tom Campell at first glance.

That was a good range and good times, I come close to getting locked in for staying too long during practice one time, can't remember the name of the old guy who was the caretaker.

Thanks so much for putting up these old pics and videos.

Edited by Ross Carter

• 3 months later...

I was there and shot the match. Member of the SWPL in my early twenties. And yes, that was at Wes Thompson's range in Sand Canyon off of North Rte 14 fwy. , exit on Sand Canyon off ramp and turn left over the fwy, then right at the intersection, to the range.

The second to last photo is Campbell, Plaxco and it looks like Barnhart and the stage offical standing behind all three of the them looks like Jack Breskovich. That brown wall in the background was the Club Shooting Machine range, it was used for the "Mover" stage from Bianchi Cup. Mickey Frowler and Mike Dalton would practice there on that range.

I have photographs from that match in my basement. Nick Pruitt later went on to work part time with a local gunsmith from Corona, name Wil O Hara, then he left. I also have the American Handgunner magazine with Pruitt on the front cover, shooting his comped 45 with the slide back and a empty case flying out! He won the match that year.

The third photo from last is a slimmed down Robbie Leatham with his Wilson 38 super comp gun. Notice how the top of the slide is painted black? Both he and Brian had the same guns that year.

Yeah, I was there and am still looking forward to shooting at Norco on Saturdays! DAMN!!!

What a beginning shooter can now learn or be exposed too, is unimaginable back then, like when I started!

Front Sight??? WTF are talking about????

What you can learn on THIS forum is invaluable but it will comes only through experience from practice on the range, then you can related to what is being talked about here on the forum. Like your first kiss! :)

Thanks BE for having this forum! I know, you know who I am? You signed my "beyond the fundamentals" book at the Masters one year!

thanks

Edited by kimberacp

….Nick Pruitt later went on to work part time with a local gunsmith from Corona, name Wil O Hara, then he left. …

What ever became of Nick? In the mid 70's he and Ray Neal would shoot with us in Oceanside occasionally.

Edited by Early IPSC'er

not what i was thinking of. more definitive.

His custom-made mag pouches placing the top round on top.

not sure they were custom, i think they were standard Safariland single pouches but that was what i was seeing.

i don't think anyone else had spare mags with bullet up.

not sure they were custom, i think they were standard Safariland single pouches but that was what i was seeing.

Didn't Tommy Campbell try that for a while? I think it was just silly though... ;)

Didn't Tommy Campbell try that for a while? I think it was just silly though... ;)

yep, post #4 kind of started the upside down Tommy gun talk.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when Nick came to Second Chance and won. He could not afford the trip and told his benefactor he would split whatever he won with them. Worked out well for both of them!

I was there for that. Nick dropped the hammer on all the regular S.C. hotshots.

• 4 weeks later...