Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW MATCH GRADE COATED BULLETS

bowenbuilt

I picked up a couple of boxes of the 147 Flat Nose bullets and will be testing them out with Titegroup....

Gotta get my Chrono out again and see how they come out. These new coated bullets are extremely impressive to me since I shoot mostly suppressed with everything I shoot.... 45 & 9. The Coating is extremely thick and the bullets are super smooth with what seems to be extremely uniform shape surface as well as super low weight deviation from one bullet to the next on the scale. Put them on a scale yourself and see how close each bullet weight is from one to the next.

Also - give this a try, take a coated bullet and put a propane torch to one.... watch as the coating doesn't even really break down before the lead melts behind it... I like what I see here - can't wait to get them out and run them.... will report back when I get some down the barrel....

Good Luck and Happy Shooting guys.....

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also - give this a try, take a coated bullet and put a propane torch to one.... watch as the coating doesn't even really break down before the lead melts behind it...

Even the old school precision moly's will do that. :cheers:

The H-Tek coating is a standard 2 part modified epoxy. The cure cycle is a 1 hour air dry followed by 385 degrees F for 10 minutes. Thicker is not better for primer coatings. The cured primer should be around 0.0005" to 0.0009" for best results.

chetc:

They make an excellent 147gn FP in 9mm and .38. The .38 is my preferred 9mm bullet.

Again, I have not heard any thing about any other coating that does anything better than Precision's.

Not that I wouldn't use other coated bullets, just you are cheating yourself if you don't try some Precision Bullets.

well i my buddy Jim and I ordered up a few thousand of the Acme bullets, will give them a shot and see what they are all about, if the dia's are consistent and weights don't vary too much, we will see if they top my current top3 list of bullets.

Chet

just to add to this topic, i got my order in from Acme Bullets today, bullets were shipped 4/22 and got them this morning, great service, coating look to be excellent, i measured a few and dia's are very consistent. Thank you Acme bullets

Chet

• 2 weeks later...

They now have a 200 grain .45 ACP groovless SWC and a button nose .38 wadcutter on their site. Next will be a 200 grain .40 caliber bullet in about 2 weeks. They sponsored their first USPSA shooting event last week.

They now have a 200 grain .45 ACP groovless SWC and a button nose .38 wadcutter on their site. Next will be a 200 grain .40 caliber bullet in about 2 weeks. They sponsored their first USPSA shooting event last week.

That is what I have been waiting for. Thanks for the heads-up!

I do like the Bayou Bullets I've been shooting but these sound pretty good too. Maybe once their name really starts getting out there the pricing will come down a little more. Still might check out a sample pack or two.

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed them last night and got a response from Jessica, stating that the root cause has been identified and resolved. I will get an additional discount. Outstanding customer service!!!

Coupon code = ENOS10.

Bowenbuilt, I've been shooting blue bullets since reading about your adventures with them since about the end of last year... do you find these Acme bullets to be that much better? The blues have been great, no fouling, no smoke, no smell, reasonable pricing.

Sometimes cheap is too expensive. I don't regularly use TG because of the heat it builds but I did test with it and I did not notice any smoke. If you shoot on a humid day or at a certain time in the afternoon jacketed bullets will seem to smoke. These are coated with the same Hy-Tek coating that everyone else is using there is just more of it so if you have ever used a HT coated bullet you can expect the same as far as the smoke goes.

I just received my 200gr bullets from ACME and here is what I can share with you guys (I report, you decide).

Coating: Visually extremely consistent from bullet to bullet. I do not see any nicks/ cuts/ breaks/ scuffs on them upon receipt. The bullets were delivered in the wooden box loose so I was kind of worried about scuff marks on them. I have brought coated bullets (HiTek and others) from a few other suppliers and seen many bullets showing scuff marks and even the base material (lead) exposed through the coating (not completely coated). This is not the case with ACME.

Drop test: I dropped five bullets from 4' high onto a concrete floor multiple times, aiming at the bottom edge (in my experience, the coating at the bottom edge tends to break as I seat the bullets). I see very small dents on them but none of them shows any breaks on the coating itself. This test has broken the coating on many bullets from the other suppliers.

Diameter: 400 ~ 401 out of 15 rounds.

Weight: I need to put the numbers in a spread sheet to calculate the AVG, StDev, etc. but the AVG is about 198gr. It was very predictable (i.e., consistent) when I was weighing the bullets.

I need to shoot them but "I" really like what I have seen so far.

Best,

Edited by jaep1911

Are they true round nose?

Kind of want to try them and see how they feed in a finicky 1911.

I am not sure what "true round nose" looks like but compared to what I use for my 1911 (45ACP 230gr RN), those from ACME are less round. They do not show any photo on the website at the moment. I would take some photos and post them here later.