Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW MATCH GRADE COATED BULLETS

bowenbuilt

Just a post to let you know about a line of match grade coated bullets I have been testing for the past several weeks. Yes, I know there are a 100 different vendors out there that are doing coated lead bullets but I think I have found something just a little different. These people are testing these bullets in every way before they go into a box for shipment. They also are applying a thicker coating. They have 3 new bullets on the website right now with many more soon to come. I tested the batch I received for roundness, uniformity and weight and I have not seen any so far that are as good in all 3 departments. They have been in the cast bullet business for a good while but decided to do their coated bullets in an all new design which is slightly different than any of the others I have tried and groovless. I am not affiliated with them in any way but I just can't keep a new find a secret. My biggest complaint with the vendors I have used in the past is about 1 in every 10 to 20 bullets the diameter will either be slightly smaller or large enough you can feel more resistance in the taper crimping stage. Most of the time when the crimp stage gets hard I know these bullets are not going to pass the case gauge so they are sorted to the practice ammo can. Out of the batch I received not a single round hit the practice bucket, they chronoed more consistently, OAL's were more consistent, no smoke, I didn't notice a weird smell and the accuracy with them are as good as any I have ever used. They are worth a look if you are looking for something new to try, the price is right and you won't find anyone more pleasing to deal with.

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/HiTek-Coated-bullets

Edited by bowenbuilt

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a post to let you know about a line of match grade coated bullets I have been testing for the past several weeks. Yes, I know there are a 100 different vendors out there that are doing coated lead bullets but I think I have found something just a little different. These people are testing these bullets in every way before they go into a box for shipment. They also are applying a thicker coating. They have 3 new bullets on the website right now with many more soon to come. I tested the batch I received for roundness, uniformity and weight and I have not seen any so far that are as good in all 3 departments. They have been in the cast bullet business for a good while but decided to do their coated bullets in an all new design which is slightly different than any of the others I have tried and groovless. I am not affiliated with them in any way but I just can't keep a new find a secret. My biggest complaint with the vendors I have used in the past is about 1 in every 10 to 20 bullets the diameter will either be slightly smaller or large enough you can feel more resistance in the taper crimping stage. Most of the time when the crimp stage gets hard I know these bullets are not going to pass the case gauge so they are sorted to the practice ammo can. Out of the batch I received not a single round hit the practice bucket, they chronoed more consistently, OAL's were more consistent, no smoke, I didn't notice a weird smell and the accuracy with them are as good as any I have ever used. They are worth a look if you are looking for something new to try, the price is right and you won't find anyone more pleasing to deal with.

Do you have any idea when they may have 9mm available and what may be offered? Thanks for sharing either way.

They are tooling up for them now and as soon as they are sure they can produce them to meet their standards they will hit the website. I should have a test batch here in the next several weeks and I will be sure to post when they are available on their website.

ACME has just added a discount for the members of this site. The discount code is ENOS5. Every little bit helps.

They also added another code for free range brass. If you purchase 500 .40 caliber coated bullets and 500 range brass put "freebrass" in the discount slot you get the 500 pieces of cleaned .40 S&W range brass for free with the order.

Edited by bowenbuilt

So far the terrible weather has prevented me from being able to do much of anything but chronoing and informal steel shooting. As it gets warmer and the snow and ice lets up I plan on doing some serious accuracy testing. I have not had any problems putting them on a 6" plate at 50 yards consistently and that is promising.

I still recommend the swaged bullets for Precision Bullets. Very consistent in weight and dimensions.All have been very accurate. Can't think of any way to improve on these bullets.

Unless Precision has changed their coating, they smoke a lot more than some of the other choices. I'm currently shooting blue bullets and the difference in smoke is huge with my choice of powder (e3). The blue bullets also smell better/less.

Yes, I could use another powder but I prefer the feel of e3, the availability of other powders notwithstanding.

In my experience with e3 it is a very clean cool burning powder. I don't know if you can do any better or not. I am with you on Precision bullets, I like the idea of a swaged vs cast bullet but the moly coated bullets are just too smokey and nasty for me. I don't understand why they cling to the moly coating but it prevents me and many others from using them. I believe the difference I am seeing in the ACME bullets is how they treat their lead when casting. The mixture or lack of is what causes cast bullets to be inconsistent while sitting in the melting pot. When the tin and lead separate you are going to get all kinds of weight and size differences. Here is where ACME has it figured out plus all of their bullets must past size, weight and conformity tests before they are approved to go into a wooden shipping box. They are taking extra time to make sure of uniformity. This should produce a better bullet. I have loaded and shot 300 of them so far which is not an acid test. One other thing I noticed is no smell when shooting them. I don't know how they are doing that but I did not get the burning wire smell at all.

ACME has just added a discount for the members of this site. The discount code is ENOS5. Every little bit helps.

They also added another code for free range brass. If you purchase 500 .40 caliber coated bullets and 500 range brass put "freebrass" in the discount slot you get the 500 pieces of cleaned .40 S&W range brass for free with the order.

Discount codes don't seem to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our local shop here in WI sells lots of the Acme lead bullets, but will be getting these in stock in the next few weeks. Im interested in 9mm as well. Supposedly these will be triple coated with HiTek. Price looks about right, right around the same their regular lead bullets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

9mm are available on their website.

I did get a look at some of these in .40 and .45 at the local shop last week. The coating is very smooth. My bullets from MBC almost look rough in comparison. Ill be getting down there in next week or so to pick up 500 124gr RN to give them a try.

What are you using for primers and powder and brass and where did you find the load data on the 45 acp coated I can't find any load data on the coated 45 or 9

Looks like the coupon no longer works:

Warning: Coupon is either invalid, expired or reached it's usage limit!

I will check on the ENOS5 discount to find out what happened to it.

What are you using for primers and powder and brass and where did you find the load data on the 45 acp coated I can't find any load data on the coated 45 or 9

There is tons of loading data on this site for coated lead bullets. You can use the loading data for any lead bullet of the same weight and style for these bullets. Use the search function in the caliber you want and there are literally days of reading about loading coated lead bullets.

There is tons of loading data on this site for coated lead bullets. You can use the loading data for any lead bullet of the same weight and style for these bullets. Use the search function in the caliber you want and there are literally days of reading about loading coated lead bullets.

Thanks

They were unaware of this problem. It will be fixed by the end of today. The 124 grain bullets are available, the 147 and 115's are still in the development stage. They have made several molds for these but are not satisfied yet with the final product. They will be available soon. Also, be sure to use all upper case like FREEBRASS or ENOS5 when putting it the discount slot.

Edited by bowenbuilt