Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW MATCH GRADE COATED BULLETS

bowenbuilt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using them for 2 years now same (cal and weight), and have definitely noticed a color change, deeper red and the coating does not seem as thick

I had the same thing happen with another company over the years and it led me to try others and then to acme

May have to do so again, why is it every time someone wins you over , they have to go and change

26 minutes ago, cnote said:

I have been using them for 2 years now same (cal and weight), and have definitely noticed a color change, deeper red and the coating does not seem as thick

I had the same thing happen with another company over the years and it led me to try others and then to acme

May have to do so again, why is it every time someone wins you over , they have to go and change

Has performance changed?

3 hours ago, RDA said:

Has performance changed?

Not accuracy, but the coating shows occasional "breaking" on an ULSC round, etc,  whereas in the past that did not happen.  Need to see if barrel looks any different in the L&G

I found a few incomplete castings in my latest batch where the base of the bullet didn't get fully formed and a couple bullets that look otherwise normal but with flat tips.  These are 200gr RN .40s.  I've also gotten a few what I think are 9mm bullets in the bag. Didnt measure but they look like 9mm. Not a big deal except I use a bullet feeder and the 9s drop into the case and make a mess and the incomplete bullets will drop in and seat. Not what I want loaded for a major match. This is after 3 or 4 cases without issue. 

15 hours ago, darkvibe said:

I found a few incomplete castings in my latest batch where the base of the bullet didn't get fully formed and a couple bullets that look otherwise normal but with flat tips.  These are 200gr RN .40s.  I've also gotten a few what I think are 9mm bullets in the bag. Didnt measure but they look like 9mm. Not a big deal except I use a bullet feeder and the 9s drop into the case and make a mess and the incomplete bullets will drop in and seat. Not what I want loaded for a major match. This is after 3 or 4 cases without issue. 

how is there support when you tell them they have these types of issues?  Or is this pretty much normal for bullet manufacturers to have these types of problems?

On 10/2/2016 at 10:09 AM, thejez said:

how is there support when you tell them they have these types of issues?  Or is this pretty much normal for bullet manufacturers to have these types of problems?

I haven't emailed them. Probably should let them know.  

I don't know how common it is. I've shot a lot of BBI and Bayou bullets and have never found defective bullets. Never found them in acme either until this batch. 

On 10/3/2016 at 11:44 AM, darkvibe said:

I haven't emailed them. Probably should let them know.  

I don't know how common it is. I've shot a lot of BBI and Bayou bullets and have never found defective bullets. Never found them in acme either until this batch. 

You should send them a friendly customer feedback. They are good people and appreciate that. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2016 at 6:45 AM, GJGary said:

So far 9mm 124gr rn is the only mold change I am aware of. To bad looks like blues for me, the older acme profile seemed to chamber softer, load longer and just as accurate. Not buying the new profile 124, worst of all they didn't let anyone know or update the web. Acme is not my goto bullet manufacturer anymore.

I just notice this, got some Acme newer 124gr and it wont pass plunk test at 1.25, but the older one I was loading at 1.25 and it  spin freely. Do they change mold to keep up with demand?

11 hours ago, SISIG said:

I just notice this, got some Acme newer 124gr and it wont pass plunk test at 1.25, but the older one I was loading at 1.25 and it  spin freely. Do they change mold to keep up with demand?

The change I heard was due to the old mold being wore out .

New mold new/different bullet  profile 

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2016 at 6:55 PM, darkvibe said:

On 9/27/2016 at 3:38 PM, cnote said:

Not accuracy, but the coating shows occasional "breaking" on an ULSC round, etc,  whereas in the past that did not happen.  Need to see if barrel looks any different in the L&G

Noticed all of these issues with the order I put in for their 145gr round nose 9mm last year. I just got a pile of 115s in but havent loaded enough of them yet to notice if there any issues with the coating or casting.

I ran across ACME bullets buy a long time shooter had about 30K of the 9mm 147s on hand. I have been shooting xtremes for the last year but will be making the move to ACME's soon. They shoot great out of my SP01 and limited gun. 

This is a 6 shot group at 25 yards with my sp01. I'm happy with what these bullets can do.

IMG_1295_zpseqbxptpc.jpg

Edited by GringoBandito

Look the same as what Bayou offers. If that's the case, I'd pass. They don't really give you any better of a hole in paper and there are challenges around loading such a long bullet. No difference in recoil that I could distinguish. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2017 at 2:08 PM, HawkMoney said:

I don't like the acme profile for the 9mm's they don't plunk test in my cz, tanfo or pcc unless you load them super short.

Which ones?  Acme makes a lot of bullets... :)

52 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Probably too long ...  have you run The Plunk Test?

Thats what I'm saying, you have to load them really short to get them to plunk test in anything. Never have that problem with blue bullets. They have a much better profile.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 5:40 PM, HawkMoney said:

Thats what I'm saying, you have to load them really short to get them to plunk test in anything. Never have that problem with blue bullets. They have a much better profile.

I had that issue with MBC 124's.  I call them FatBall.  Needed to be loaded short even my S&W.  No issues with 124's from Acme in this gun though.

• 2 weeks later...

The question about the profile change: After millions of rounds the original molds were worn out. The original molds were made to duplicate the 124 grain jacketed bullet and yes you could load them long. When ACME went back to this supplier to replace the worn out molds they found this vendor was out of business. They searched but did not find anyone who could/would duplicate their original mold so they tested what was available for accuracy. The mold they chose proved to be the most accurate with several Beta testers so they went with it. Yes it does load shorter than the original but I find it to be more accurate in my guns. All of my CZ's except for the P09/07 series have been reamed so I can load the new bullet back to the original specs. Anyone that has a 9mm barrel that has not been treated with a hard finish such as the XD/XDm's, Glock or the P series CZ's I will ream your barrel for these bullets free of charge so you can load them longer. Just PM me and I will provide my shipping address. There will be a one day turn around return shipping will be Priority Mail. We can discuss details after the PM. ACME has added several new bullets to their line up including the 135 grain RN in 9mm which loads out to 1.120 in my P Series guns. I have been asking for this bullet now for a while and I was not disappointed with the results.

Edited by bowenbuilt