Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW MATCH GRADE COATED BULLETS

bowenbuilt

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add that I had an order arrive last week and there was no small box of candy along with it.

I thought that it was very nice touch, but it really makes no difference to me.

I thought I would pass that on to those who though that it increased the cost of the bullets...

I used their contact form last night, and got a response today that it was a web site glitch, and has been fixed, but have not verified it.

Has anyone tried their 200gr RNFP in .45acp? I don't see any reason they wouldn't work as well as / as a direct replacement for Bayou's 200gr RNFP or any other cast&coater making that profile.

I tested them in .45 ACP and while you can make them work you come out with an extremely short OAL. The bulbous blunt nose of this bullet is really not conducive for the auto round. I was well under 1.150 to make them plunk and spin. The OAL was so short to get these to chamber I gave up on the idea. They will be coming out with an ACP 200 grn round nose bullet in the near future but this one does not work well for this. You could get a 100 box and try them to see what you think.

I tested them in .45 ACP and while you can make them work you come out with an extremely short OAL. The bulbous blunt nose of this bullet is really not conducive for the auto round. I was well under 1.150 to make them plunk and spin. The OAL was so short to get these to chamber I gave up on the idea. They will be coming out with an ACP 200 grn round nose bullet in the near future but this one does not work well for this. You could get a 100 box and try them to see what you think.

That's what they suggested. Other, similar profile bullets, I try to load just about to the ogive to keep the bearing surface from getting scraped while chambering. They usually come out around 1.200". 1.150" for .45acp does sound incredibly short to me, and I'd be worried about feeding issues.

It's hard to tell from their pictures, but it looks like the bearing surface may continue for a bit after the crimp groove? Maybe I'll just try the 147s and 230s.

Received my first 147 fp coated Acme bullets today, yes luv the wood box, wieghed bullets very uniformed 146.7-147 gr compared to Blue Bullet which I luved shooting even though wieghed 149+ give or take a whole grain weight, BB's did shoot great, give update soon on how 147Acmes shoot in comparison, Acme Bullets

I purchased some of these bullets at Camp Perry this year. Last night I ran out of BBI (.40-180gr TC) and started loading the Acme bullets (.40-180gr RNFP). I don't know what it is about these bullets, but my 550 just ran smoother. With the BBI I could feel the case/bullet entering the dies, feel a bump halfway through and then the stop when bottomed out. With the Acme, I could barely feel the bullets/brass entering the dies, no middle bump, then bottom out. The press just felt much smoother than what I am used to. The only things I can figure is the BBI have lube grooves and the Acme does not and the finish on the Acme bullets is notably smoother that that on the BBI.

With the BBI I was getting about 10-15% plunk test failure rate in my Para chamber. The truncated cone shape of the bullets did not mesh well with my chamber. I shortened the rounds and had some improvement, but the failure rate was still too high. I did a 100 of the Acme and and tested them. All passed the plunk test. I adjusted my dies back to my old OAL and did another 100 more. I had one that was a little sticky but the rest passed. The round nose flat point profile of Acme bullets definitely work better for me.

I think I have found my new bullet until something better comes along.

Updating - I really like the 230 RN profile, it's longer than competitors bullets so at a comparable OAL I can get away with using less powder for the same power factor. Additionally the beveled base of the bullets seats really consistently, dramatically reducing shaving the coating. I ran these at an outdoor match last weekend with titegroup of all things and got no smoke. The coating is very well applied, and the shape of the bullet feeds well and loads super smoothly. I'm convinced now, for my 230's this is my go to projectile.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of reasons that coating gets shaved, under belling, over belling, seating them cooked and the type of seating dies will all cause shaving issues. Something is getting the sharp edge of the case against the coating. If you under bell the cases, well you know the rest but over belling will cause the seating die by some manufacturers to try and crimp the case as it goes in. The bullet not sitting straight on top of the case will cause some cases to shave the coating while others show no signs. You need to figure out how the sharp edge of the case is touching the coating, if belled correctly so that the bullet sits up straight before it enters the seating die it's almost impossible to shave off any coating. The diameter of the bullet has little to do with this. I have loaded thousands of these without shaving any coating. Sometimes a slight adjustment will cure the problem. I am using plain old Lee dies with the bottom of the seating die opened up and polished to get rid of the sharp edges there.

Ordered 10k of these bullets a few months back, have loaded about 4k or so far and shot around 2k. They have been extremely consistent and very accurate for me. Their 147gr FP with 3.2gr of N320 at 1.120 has been my go-to load and is very accurate in all my 9mm guns.

There are a lot of reasons that coating gets shaved, under belling, over belling, seating them cooked and the type of seating dies will all cause shaving issues. Something is getting the sharp edge of the case against the coating. If you under bell the cases, well you know the rest but over belling will cause the seating die by some manufacturers to try and crimp the case as it goes in. The bullet not sitting straight on top of the case will cause some cases to shave the coating while others show no signs. You need to figure out how the sharp edge of the case is touching the coating, if belled correctly so that the bullet sits up straight before it enters the seating die it's almost impossible to shave off any coating. The diameter of the bullet has little to do with this. I have loaded thousands of these without shaving any coating. Sometimes a slight adjustment will cure the problem. I am using plain old Lee dies with the bottom of the seating die opened up and polished to get rid of the sharp edges there.

Thanks Bowen, I'm using lee dies as well so I just need to figure out the cause. I'll walk through some of the issues you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bowen, I'm using lee dies as well so I just need to figure out the cause. I'll walk through some of the issues you mentioned.

Once I was having problems took lee powder bell die apart, walla, bell was upside down from factory, wasn't a problem with jacketed, sure was w/lead.lol

Once I was having problems took lee powder bell die apart, walla, bell was upside down from factory, wasn't a problem with jacketed, sure was w/lead.lol

That's something to look at, I haven't had any trouble loading jacketed or plated. Seems like you would know pretty quick in that scenario but it's worth a look.

• 1 month later...

Searching for a new Production load for a G34 last weekend using 124 grain bullets. I think I found it. The top left group is using 3.8 grains of ETR-7 loaded to 1.135 with ACME's 124 RN. Each group is a full magazine fired from 15 yards standing.

IMG_2451.jpg

I just ordered 2500 of the 147 FP-NLG's and loaded them over 3.2gr of N320. Great load, very happy with it. How does the ETR7 compare to N320 as far as smoking? Have you loaded any of the 147's with ETR7?