Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Slide Sticking

I have a Dillon 550b and I just started noticing that on about every 2 or 3 rounds, the primer feed tube does not drop a primer into the Primer Seating Cup and If I grab the the primer slide and pull it back and then it will drop a primer. I have tried cleaning the bottom of the primer slide with alcohol and the plate it sets on to no avail. I am wondering if the Primer Slide Return Spring i sgetting worn.

Is there any lubricant I can use to get the primer slide to move all the way back consistently or is perhaps the primer slide return spring just getting worn out.

Edited by GregInAtl

Two things to try. Remove all primers from tube. The remove Plastic tip at bottom of primer tube. The part that goes into the primer slide. Make sure yu clean the entire inside of the primer tube with Alcohol, I use a long pipe cleaner so that I can scrub if clean good.

Ok, let it dry and install a new plastic on the machine end. Replace tube in machine. Load primers, and you should be good to go.

Ken

:cheers:

The only time this has happened to me is when a bunch of crud from the old primers gets under the slide and it won't come all the way back to grab a primer. I just take it all apart and clean really well. I've heard of some using a powdered graphite as a lube but have never seen a need personally if you keep the primer slide clean.

From Brian's notes:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 1.125 - 1.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toolhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.
  • Grease the short end of the op-rod where it inserts into the bracket clamped around the primer shield

Put some bend in the rod after you make sure all is clean

Getting a little personal here aren't you Sarge. :roflol:

Put some bend in the rod after you make sure all is clean

Getting a little personal here aren't you Sarge. :roflol:

Now that I read it again it does seem so!

I am not saying this to sell product, That is my disclaimer lol. If you use Mag Slick spray it on all the parts of you press that you would not want oil on. Clean the parts first and they will run longer between cleanings it keeps the grunge from sticking as fast. You can buff it off with a cloth or leave it white.

There's no need to bend that rod, just lower the clamp that attaches to it and primer tube. It will push the primer guide further back. I've had the same issue on my 550 and used to clean every 1000 rounds until I noticed the clamp and position of the rod.

had the same problem. After searching on this forum I found the answer. I had over-tightened the 2 bolts that hold the primer assy. housing to the machine. This caused the aluminum to swell in the primer slide channel. It was obvious once I looked. Took a small file to it until everything was smooth. A ok now.

I too have had the same problem with the 550b primer feeder. I also tried what the gentleman did in the video that Youngeys posted in his reply. He is correct...it helped mine but not 100%. But fear not! Get on YouTube and click on "Dillon 550B primer feeding issue". The guy has a great video explaining what to also look for and what he made to fix his problem. I almost made this replacement part myself until I went on e-bay and found a guy who makes and sells this part. After you watch the YouTube video, go on e-bay and type in " Dillon 550B Primer Track Bearing Plate Upgrade". I received mine the other day, and between tweaking the rod a little and installing a new plate....problem fixed! Of course, we still have to make sure this area stays as clean as possible. Nothing will work on any press if parts a cruded up.

I too have had the same problem with the 550b primer feeder. I also tried what the gentleman did in the video that Youngeys posted in his reply. He is correct...it helped mine but not 100%. But fear not! Get on YouTube and click on "Dillon 550B primer feeding issue". The guy has a great video explaining what to also look for and what he made to fix his problem. I almost made this replacement part myself until I went on e-bay and found a guy who makes and sells this part. After you watch the YouTube video, go on e-bay and type in " Dillon 550B Primer Track Bearing Plate Upgrade". I received mine the other day, and between tweaking the rod a little and installing a new plate....problem fixed! Of course, we still have to make sure this area stays as clean as possible. Nothing will work on any press if parts a cruded up.

Thanks for this. I have seen this fix before, but I am no machinist. I just ordered one to try. If it works I will order another for my second 550.

had the same problem. After searching on this forum I found the answer. I had over-tightened the 2 bolts that hold the primer assy. housing to the machine. This caused the aluminum to swell in the primer slide channel. It was obvious once I looked. Took a small file to it until everything was smooth. A ok now.

Exactly........this is "the" cause and solution.

• 7 months later...

Hello fellow reloaders, it has been some time since I have been back on Brians webpage,
I have been reloading over the past years with a 550b and wy buddy has the same setup. we have been reloading for 3 years with the 550's since I sold my 650

We both have the issue with the primer not picking up the primer periodically. We have been disassembling the units and cleaning, lightly sanding as Brian has recommended and we go from there on for a few thousand rounds and we are back to the problem.

I saw the posting from linedock of the upgrade and I have ordered one (for now to test)

but it has not arrived yet. I wanted to see if you have any more input on this that have it and your comments

Attached is the photo of the newest version

thanks
scott

post-4-0-68214300-1445706833_thumb.jpg

@Davis

Scott:

Along with several other persons on this forum, I have the improved primer bearing plate with ball bearing that you have pictured in your post.

You asked for feedback, and I am happy to tell you that this invention is first-rate. The longer primer plate and the ball bearing stabilize the primer slide as it moves. The primer setup (as it currently exists) places torque on the primer slide as it moves, creating "shudder and stutter." This motion can (and does) affect the reliability of primer pickup. The improved version (pictured in your post) eliminates this torque and erratic motion.

I have been using this device for about 6 months and can tell you that it has worked wonderfully at solving my primer problems. I usually put a small amount of powdered graphite on the plate to add a little additional lubrication to the primer slide motion, but the graphite is not a necessity.

I gladly give this invention a grade of A-Plus. (And I have no financial interest in offering these observations.) This device has made priming a pleasure.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

it now has been a few weeks since we received the 1st upgrade.

My Buddy Tim has been doing 50 rounds a night, every night, (except sunday) for the past 2 weeks and he reports not a single problem

I have purchased another one for my set up and look forward to using it soon.

Thanks for the reveiws also

Scott

Got one of these last week and it makes a smooth running primer bar. I can fab pretty well but the price of this upgrade is well worth it. I marked the bearing with a marker and every pull spins the bearing coming out & going in. Great piece.