Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do all powder for 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP

Majja

Ok I am getting back into shooting, Is there a good all around powder for these calibers? 9mm is minor, a major and minor load for the 40 (Springfield xdm) and 45 ACP. With all the powder shortages I am looking for one powder I can buy in a 4 or 8 lb groups and reload for all these. I have not done any reloading for the 40 so I am not tied to any bullets in particular.

Thanks

Not as much as WST.

I have used both WST and Red Dot in 9 and 45. I am sure they would work in .40 but may have to go over book data to make major.

I like Red Dot for the case volume and low charge weights. WST I like because it does better in a powder measure.

Have you noticed that Reddot being temp sensitive like blue dot? I use to shoot this in my 45 and loved it in the summer and hated it in the winter.

I personally haven't noticed any issues. I chrono'd between 32 and 70 degrees at different times with pretty consistent results, but I don't really have any major cold-weather matches, so I don't care that much. Also I've mostly been shooting it in .40 so far, since I still have clays for .45.

I shoot SOLO 1000 in minor 9mm w. 147 FMJ and .40 Major with 180 coated. I think you could do .45 major without an issue. I think you CAN do it with WW231 but I have huge velocity swings in .40 with that powder and 180g unless I used a MAG SP or SR primer.

SOLO was already my go to 9mm powder. I tried it in .40 and it worked as well as anything else.

Edited by dauntedfuture

Other possible 9/40/45 powders:

Alliant Promo

Alliant American Select*

700x*

AA#2*

Ramshot Zip

Unique

PB*

Clays/Clay Dot* (don't know if this would make major in .40, works great in .45 though)

I have used starred powders with good results in both 9mm and 45. I don't load for .40

WST not a problem for me temp wise I load to 172 PF and have never gone under 169 at a match in both 40 and 45

Clays/Clay Dot

231/HP38

Bullseye

lots of options get some powder and start shooting. Youo'll find the one you like best.

Experimenting is half the fun of reloading and shooting

Patrick Sweeney wrote an article in one of the magazines, stating if he could only have one handgun powder to load for eternity it would be _________

I have searched for that article for an hour and cant find it.

Stated _______ may not be the best choice in each caliber, but you can safely load multiple weight bullets in multiple calibers safely with _________

Tryed to PM him here and his box is full!!!!

Anyone else read it???

Thanks for all the great info guys, It is just nice to dust off the old 650. and getting her running again. I am going to take what you all have given me make a list take to the local retailers and see what I can find and go from there. And get out and start making some boom boom.

Titegroup

W231/HP38

Bullseye

Ok I am getting back into shooting, Is there a good all around powder for these calibers? 9mm is minor, a major and minor load for the 40 (Springfield xdm) and 45 ACP. With all the powder shortages I am looking for one powder I can buy in a 4 or 8 lb groups and reload for all these. I have not done any reloading for the 40 so I am not tied to any bullets in particular.

Thanks

I have had success with 700X, WSF, AA2 and AA5 for all 3 calibers. Recently I had to shoot 700x as it was all that was available, and in reality it works really well for me. I might stick with 700X in the future for all three.