Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier re-entry with Practiscore (cutting EZWS completely out)

uod

I see there is an option to export the webfile to post scores to USPSA on the iOS version of Practiscore. That makes me giddy like a schoolgirl.

I'd now like to cut EZWinScore completely out of the picture. The problem is that I have someone who did a classifier reshoot at yesterday's match. How do I go about entering that in Practiscore? Do I just make another shooter entry for him, and just score that duplicate shooter entry on the one classifier stage?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nevermind -- I just winged it and it worked flawlessly.

I just created a second entry for the shooter. Practiscore automatically appended a #1 and #2 to the shooter's name. I scored the classifier re-shoot on the shooter's #2 entry. Generated USPSA activity report and web file for scores. Uploaded both with no problems. USPSA recognized shooter #2 as a reentry.

I am so happy to have eliminated EZWS from my life. Not that I have anything against EZWS --- it was a great program. It's just one less step to take when running matches now.

So you entered the reshoot in the iOS version? I ask because you obviously found the webfile export in the iOS version (no one's added that feature nor classifier update upload to android yet), so it would be reasonable to assume you did the reshoot on iOS as well.

I wish they'd done this the way ezws does, where you add the 2nd iteration of the competitor and it asks if this is to be a re-entry and, upon being answered 'yes', sets a bit switch marking the guy as a reshoot and highlighting him in the list of competitors in a yellow background.

Thanks for pointing out webfile export, by the way; it wasn't listed in the change log anywhere that I saw.

Edited by wgnoyes

Yes -- this was all in the iOS version. We use Nooks for scoring during the match, and a Nexus 7 as the master during the match. I then hop onto our range wifi with my personal iPhone to grab the match down at the very end so that I can use it to upload the results to Practiscore. My iPhone essentially becomes the master when the match is over.

The webfile export worked without issue. There was a warning that the name of the club (PGC) didn't match the name of the club code (SC03 - Palmetto Gun Club) --- but this is just because Practiscore has us listed as one and USPSA has us listed as the other. It still went through without issue.

The activity file also worked without issue. I was able to do a classification sync with the touch of a button, and then export and email the activity and web files to myself.

I was able to do everything that I always used to do using Practiscore in the front and EZWS at the end .... but, this time I cut EZWS completely out of the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

I am involved in starting up a club and have volunteered to run the scoring and registration.. so far I have purchased 6 nooks. Looking into this concept of using an Android master.. friends have mentioned that only iOS devices will do this nifty upload thing at the end.

My question:

If I build a match and do registration on an Android device, say a Nexus, and score the match with the Nooks, Do I need to do anything special to use my personal iPod touch to do the final upload like you do with your iPhone? Can I add this device to the current match after it is over and use it to do this magical final upload?

Please excuse my ignorance on certain aspects of Practiscore, I'm currently a newb at it.

You can pull all Data to your iPhone from the master and use that to generate the two files you need you upload to uspsa.org yes. To be clear the files don't upload directly on any platform, you need to save them somewhere (Dropbox etc) and then upload them using the interface on the website.

To emphasize that further, the iOS version of practiscore GENERATES the two upload files; it doesn't actually upload them anywhere. You still need a regular computer to do that, hence saving the files out to dropbox or some similar cloud service which would also have to be installed as an app on your iPod touch. Once you get the two files out into dropbox, you upload those to uspsa in the normal fashion from a computer. There IS a way to directly upload from iOS, involving an app that includes its own browser, but that's the extent of my knowledge about that product.

You can pull all Data to your iPhone from the master and use that to generate the two files you need you upload to uspsa.org yes. To be clear the files don't upload directly on any platform, you need to save them somewhere (Dropbox etc) and then upload them using the interface on the website.

To emphasize that further, the iOS version of practiscore GENERATES the two upload files; it doesn't actually upload them anywhere. You still need a regular computer to do that, hence saving the files out to dropbox or some similar cloud service which would also have to be installed as an app on your iPod touch. Once you get the two files out into dropbox, you upload those to uspsa in the normal fashion from a computer. There IS a way to directly upload from iOS, involving an app that includes its own browser, but that's the extent of my knowledge about that product.

Thanks for the info guys. My main concern is that I wanted to buy a cheap Android device for like $50 to do registration and stage building, and then use my iPod touch to in some way generate the files to upload. I should be able to figure out the last file management part as long as iOS takes it most of the way.

We still have an option of just buying a used iPad 1st gen for like $130 or something, but cheaper is better.. if it will work.

When we made the switch from EZwinscore to Practiscore we bought the Nook NSTs to use for squad scoring but wanted an iPad as the master device. I put the call out to all the shooters in my local area for old gen 1 iPad that they didn't need anymore, and we ended up getting 2 of them donated. Personally I prefer building the match and doing registration on the iPad. The fact that the iOS version of PS also has the ability to generate the match's activity report is a double bonus.

At the range one of our shooters who is also an IT guy hooked us up with a $40 wifi router (or whatever they are called) to provide the local network to communicate between the iPad and Nooks. We don't have it hooked up to the internet, but the LAN is sufficient that all the devices will talk to one another while on the range. Ocassionally the Nook in one of the far pits gets out of range of the router, but I typically just do one sync at the end of the match. At our Steel Challenge matches we'll sync multiple times from the iPad to Nooks as new shooters show up.

Edited by 2MoreChains