Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me rank these powders

johnsons1480

I'm using Bayou 124 gr RN bullets. If availability wasn't an issue, what ranking would you give these powders on your buy list? If I'm missing any other good ones, let me know.

Alliant Red Dot

Alliant Bullseye

Hodgdon HP38

Hodgdon TiteGroup

VihtaVuori N320

Winchester 231

Winchester Super-Target

I've used W231 (HP38 same powder) becase it can be used in just about everything - very flexable and fairly clean (better than some, worse than others)

How does it meter?

Just like water.

It was my go-to powder for 9mm when it was plentyful. It always metered great, and produced some accurate loads. But these days its almost nonexistent at non-scalper prices.

I'm using Bayou 124 gr RN bullets. If availability wasn't an issue, what ranking would you give these powders on your buy list? If I'm missing any other good ones, let me know.

6-----Alliant Red Dot

5-----Alliant Bullseye

4-----Hodgdon HP38

7-----Hodgdon TiteGroup

1-----VihtaVuori N320

3-----Winchester 231

2-----Winchester Super-Target

6-----Alliant Red Dot

5-----Alliant Bullseye

4-----Hodgdon HP38

7-----Hodgdon TiteGroup

1-----VihtaVuori N320

3-----Winchester 231

You would put WST over 231? I've never tried either, what factors lead to that decision?

Seth M. Johnson

My preference:

N320 - #1 because it's temp stable, clean and works in everything 9mm-45acp. However, it doesn't meter as well as WST/231/TG. I mainly use it for match ammo.

WST - My current 9mm practice powder. More temp shift than N230. Very consistent lot to lot.

HP38/231 - Been a while since I used 38/231, I don't recall having anything bad to say about it.

TG - Hot, smokey, leaves grey soot on the brass and gun but works well in 9mm-45acp. Don't use with lead.

I don't have much experience with Red Dot or Bullseye.

I used W231/HP38 for decades as my "go to" powder. When it became unavailable a few years back I started experimenting. Now my "go to" powder is W-Autocomp and CFE Pistol, I find that they are interchangeable like the 231/HP 38 and are available. They also burn cleaner and I can use either to load 9mm Major if I choose. I like it so much that I traded my last 4 pounds of 231 for CFE pistol a week ago. Don't think I'll ever go back to 231 as long as Autocomp/CFE Pistol is available.

I've been using VV N320 as my match powder with Ramshot Competition as my training/small match powder. RS measurements are very close to N320. Recently the only powder I've found locally is VV N320 and 310! So when my RS runs out it will be N320 all the time.

Tight Group, Bullseye, Red Dot are all I have experience with in those listed. BE ha been around for 100 years and there is a reason. There is also a reason TG is one of (if not #1) used powder by shooters at Nationals. Both meter great; both provide a consistent accurate shot to shot. And like the bottle says on the TG, a little goes a long way. I used Red Dot in .45 and it was fine. I would use it if that we're all I had. Not as much 9mm data out there as there is for .45.

For me, I will use BE86, CFE pistol, Autocomp, WST

These are 45 acp, not 9mm, but you get the gist hopefully

WST gives up nothing to 231. Far cleaner

I decided to shoot them together at one time.

DSC_0665_zpsq8cwidke.jpg

WST left, 231 Middle, HP38 right.Yes I know they are the same, but some people still believe 231 is better than HP38

DSC_0661_zps8uggdp0f.jpg

Edited by bwxmas

6-----Alliant Red Dot

5-----Alliant Bullseye

4-----Hodgdon HP38

7-----Hodgdon TiteGroup

1-----VihtaVuori N320

3-----Winchester 231

You would put WST over 231? I've never tried either, what factors lead to that decision?

Seth M. Johnson

WST has softer recoil and smokes less in humid conditions with lead bullets (including coated). However, it is inversely temperature sensitive.

In my opinion I like N320 the best for 9mm and .40. It is very consistent and clean. As some have stated I don't think it meters as well as other choices but is a good choice for lead or not fully jacketed bullets. It also is very expensive and harder to find.

WST is very temperature dependent (inversely) and I don't use it for this reason. The chrono doesn't lie.

I use Titegroup most often, but I don't believe it is the best. Cheap and easy to find. Meters well and is consistent. It is hot, a bit dirty, and very smokey and not a good choice with lead but it simply works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Several of you mentioned WST. Is there published data for WST in 9mm? Can someone give me a recipe including overall length for WST with 147 grain lead bullets?

Thanks

I understand Winchester pulled their data from 9mm due to issues with small case capacities that WST has.

I personally haven't loaded any WST in a 9mm. Yet :) WST is my "go to" powder for 45. I can tell a difference in perceived recoil (softer) and less smoke compared to TG. I have shot N310 and N320 in my 45 load but I didn't shoot much and it was so long ago I can't remember well enough to compare recoil to WST or TG. I know it didn't feel like less recoil or I would have used it instead of WST. Later this year I will try some WST in my 9mm load for testing purposes.

I've read that it is somewhat sensitive but have no personal data on temp testing. Biggest problem for last two years has been availability. The plant in Australia that manufactured it had an explosion/fire and it's just now coming back on the market. I had a fair amount so didn't suffer as most did.

Here are some chrono results:

9mmLoads1_zps504d5091.jpg

In 9mm I used 4.0 gr of WST with a 121 JHP. It was very accurate. No pressure sings, and I did not chrono the load.

I have not shot 147 grain. I would say there is plenty of info on the 147 combination if you google it.

I have found in MY OWN loading, that I will end up about a half grain under 231 data, but I start at 1grain under 231.

Be careful, and watch for the signs.