Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Extreme Mags

orangeman711

Used my new MBX Extreme mags for the first time at a match this passed weekend. They worked flawlessly without any pre match break in. No problems dropping empty or partially loaded mags from my TruBor. Big sticks held 30 and 31 rds. and 140mm tube held 24rds. Check these mags out at mbxextreme.com

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just shot a match sunday with 2 fresh out of the package 170mm 9s (The first time I put them in the gun was load and make ready). They ran flawless in both of my open guns (STI GM and LimCat Razorcat). 2nd place overall finish. I was able to load 30 in the mags with just my fingers. 30 +1 to start is awesome.

Mine will be here on Monday. Really looking forward to running there.

George Williams said he should be getting a couple on Friday. I'm looking forward to feedback from you guys. As soon as the version for Para double stack is available I'm buying some.

My 170mm 9mm arrived today. Nice looking mag. It came with an extra mag spring (nice touch). Inside the tube is nicely polished. The base pad is similar to the TTI pads in that you need to press the pin out of the way to disassembly. Reassembly was not as easy as Grams pads but not horrible. The tube material feels thicker than the SPS & STI material. I will verify that with a micrometer. Out of the box it took 29 rounds with ease and would be reloadable. Test fit in my Cameron's gun. No fitment issues. Drops free and fed dummy rounds with no issue. I hope to run it this weekend. So far so good.

Just shot a match sunday with 2 fresh out of the package 170mm 9s (The first time I put them in the gun was load and make ready). They ran flawless in both of my open guns (STI GM and LimCat Razorcat). 2nd place overall finish. I was able to load 30 in the mags with just my fingers. 30 +1 to start is awesome.

You are a brave man! Glad it worked out for you. Can't wait to get mine and I'll run a few hundred through it that day to see how it performs.

Can anyone see if other pads and guts will work with the tubes?

I have a drawer full of parts and would like to order the tubes only if they'll work. The website says some modification may be necessary.

My 170mm 9mm arrived today. Nice looking mag. It came with an extra mag spring (nice touch). Inside the tube is nicely polished. The base pad is similar to the TTI pads in that you need to press the pin out of the way to disassembly. Reassembly was not as easy as Grams pads but not horrible. The tube material feels thicker than the SPS & STI material. I will verify that with a micrometer. Out of the box it took 29 rounds with ease and would be reloadable. Test fit in my Cameron's gun. No fitment issues. Drops free and fed dummy rounds with no issue. I hope to run it this weekend. So far so good.

Please measure the diameter of the spring wire as well.

Can anyone see if other pads and guts will work with the tubes?

I have a drawer full of parts and would like to order the tubes only if they'll work. The website says some modification may be necessary.

To get the capacity and reliability you should only use the MBX parts. Although other parts may fit the reliability will suffer.

Each component of the MBX mag is designed to work together to get the best magazine possible. Why risk using parts that were most likely the cause of your previous magazines problems.

Most magazines don't have problems per say. I think many look for more capacity with continued reliability.

I like changing things up every once in awhile. It would be nice to be able to put a base pad of choice with the color of choice instead of a take it or leave it concept

Each component of the MBX mag is designed to work together to get the best magazine possible. Why risk using parts that were most likely the cause of your previous magazines problems.

I don't have any issues with my current mags. Besides the two new style SV 140 mags that I use strictly for practice, they are all tuned by Grams Engineering, HSMITH, Brazos Custom, and even Adrian at MBX.

All of them run 100% in any pistol I've put them in. Most of them (if not all) have either different guts or pads, or both.

I simply have a couple of boxes full of pads and guts from almost all of the vendors and just wanted to know if I might be able to use them.

So... if there is anyone that would be kind enough to see if another vendor's stuff even fits, I'd appreciate it.

post-5006-0-85023700-1423259093_thumb.jp

Ask, and you shall receive. I just picked up a loaner 170 MBX 9/38 mag to try out, so I loaded it and it holds 29 rds of 9mm major reloadable right now without many loading cycles on the spring. I think it will eventually hold 30 rds after the spring takes the final set.

I pulled the Grams guts and 4G2 TTI basepad from my old style SV big stick that holds 30 rds very tight and 29 rds reloadable and tried them on the MBX mag. Here is what I found. The TTI basepad would not fit as the tabs/ears at the MBX mag base are a little too big/wide. It might work with a little stoning and shaping, but not as it. The Grams follower and spring went in the MBX mag just fine, so I used the MBX basepad to see how the Grams guts would function in loading and unloading.

The MBX follower would not work in the SV mag as it is wider and would not go up far enough in the mag neck. It might work with a little work, but it is not mine to mess with.

The result is the Grams guts worked with the MBX mag and MBX basepad, however the 9mm major rds rattled from about 20 rds on up to the 29 rds reloadable the mag would hold with the Grams follower and spring (same as with the new MBX guts). That said, the mag did not go all saltshaker on me, no rounds rolled under the follower, and the rds unloaded just fine. I should note that my Grams spring has a lot of loading cycles on it as opposed to the MBX spring which is fairly new. So . . . this limited test shows you could probably make the Grams stuff work if you are careful, but I did not have the opportunity to shoot it, just unload it from 29 rds on down.

I hope that helps.

Gary