Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for WST loads for 180gr Blue Bullets out of a 5" STI Edge

uod

I've been using Titegroup for both my 9mm and .40 S&W loads for a while now. I've still got a ton of Titegroup left, but I ended up with an 8 lb jug of WST that I was going to try out.

Anyone have any good load data for a 180gr Blue Bullet coming out of a STI Edge (w/ 5" Schuemann barrel)? This will be for a major load --- preferring to be around 170pf. I generally load out to 1.18 OAL.

I was searching around, and I found some mixed reviews on WST making major in .40. So, I am wondering if I should even bother with the WST ... or if I should just sell it and keep going with the Titegroup.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by uod

I get absolutely no smoke with my Blue Bullets when using Titegroup. I've ran through about 3000 in the last 9 months with no issue. It must be something with the way Blue coats their stuff. I've heard that Black bullets smoke with Titegroup, but I can attest that Blues don't.

I just wanted to try out the WST since it was a tad slower... but not by much.

Edited by uod

WST works for me 1.180" COAL 4.6gr. WST = 173pf with 180gr. Blue Bullets. This is out of my stock Edge, your barrel being different your results may be different. Work up some loads to test I think you will find something that will wok for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just chronod and accuracy tested some 180gr SNS at 1.135 or if an sti Trojan. Mag tech spp.

3.7gr wst gave minor pf. Grouped very well.

4.6 gave almost major pf, but I could not get a good group or if them. This was at the end of a long day at the range though, so it might have been me.

4.1 gave something in between.

If I remember correctly, 4.3 grains of WST with a jacketed 180 grain bullet at a normal .40S&W cartridge length is maximum according to Hodgdon and gets 888fps with a jacketed 180 grain bullet (coated or lead alloy bullets will be faster). But if you're loading longer like 1.18" or 1.25" then of course that changes things. At the risk of sounding like a grandpa, cross check the loading suggestions with another source (anyone can have a typo) and use a chronograph. Oh, wait, I am a grandpa...

• 1 year later...

Here's what I use in my 5 inch Edge (factory barrel).

Bullet: Blue Bullets 180 gr. FP

Powder: Winchester WST 4.5 grs.

Primer: Remington 5 ½

Case: Remington

LOAL: 1.180

Avg. Vel.: 945.94 fps

ES: 14.41

SD: 4.89

Recoil Spring: Dawson tool-less guide rod, 12 lb. Recoil Spring and Buffer Pad.

Edited by pbcaster45

Before I purchased my latest gun, I worked up a major PF load for my 3.8" XDM.

* 200gr Bears Creek moly-coated bullet

* 4.2 gr WST

* CCI SPP

* 1.15 OAL

Chrono'd out at 170 PF.  I stopped short of making up a bunch of rounds at this load however (pending purchase of new gun), so I don't have any "real world" experience running this load, aside for the 10 I made up to chrono.