Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB .40 Not Crimping Correctly?

Need some help/suggestions please.

Set up my new SDB and cases are bulging within bullet seating depth, after crimp.

I'm using a hundo and a Lee case gauge.

I've gauged after the resizing die & they're fine.

Prime, powder, case flair. Won't fit. (Of course)

Bullet seat. Won't fit. (again of course)

They don't fit in gauges after crimp. Also don't fit it gun. STI Trojan. .40

Cases: Mixed brass. I've sorted by head stamp and no difference. No Glock bulges.

Bullet: Xtreme 10/40-180 RNFP HPCB

OAL: 1.135

They are gauging at .422 consistently.

Thanks

Ed

Pull out the crimp die and reset. Bring it down slowly and keep checking to see when it case gauges. Did you set those dies or did you just use the machine the way it came from Dillon? What part of the round is hanging up in the case gauge? On second thought, reset all the dies. This way you're sure.

Glad you got it fixed. It seems that 40s people just have problems for some reason. I know when I do 40s, it's never problem free. Like on my 650, I throw on the 45 stuff and the only thing I have to remember is to place the bullet and pull the handle. Never had any probs with 45.

Also question for the responder above. You say stay with the Dillon set up for the flare. I may be wrong but it seems to me that is the first thing I would check and readjust. Dillon is good but when stuff ships it can get bumped out of specs. Am I wrong there?

Edited by Mikelindsey