Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38SC w/ 3N38 Load Data

KOBGT

Getting some loads worked up for my new open gun. Need a starting place, I'm reading loads that are all over the map

I'm using 124MG JHP bullet

These are the ranges I am finding

OAL 1.225-1.255

9.4-10.4 grains 3N38

PF 165-180

Tell me what you are shooting and what gun setup you have (i.e. popple holes, no holes, etc)

I am looking for 38SC data only.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not shooting super comp, but am shooting super.

VV 3N38

OAL 1.245

10.4gn of 3N38

124gn frontier RN CMJ

Fed Small rifle primer

starline 38 super brass

PF 173

That's out of a tanfoglio eric gold custom/gold team V12 (12 small popple holes, 2 chamber comp)

In a friends 5inch limcat with just a 2 small popple holes and 3 chamber comp that load hits 180pf.

I also have a load with VV N350 with which everything else remains the same, but powder charge is 8.6gn.

Assuming you have a 5 inch gun with no popple holes I'd probably start at 9.2gn.

Assuming you have a 5 inch gun with some popple holes I'd start at 9.5gn

Assuming you have a super loud V12 tanfoglio like mine I'd start at 9.8gn.

As always YMMV, this is just my load in my gun, in my corner of the earth. I've been happy with that load. basically I run between 10.2 and 10.4gn. They both shoot basically the same, but I run the 10.4 load as my match load to ensure a little extra breathing room on the chrono. I run 10.2 in practice to just save a little powder. It still makes PF (for me major is 165 as I shoot under IPSC rules). The 10.2gn load hits just on 169-170PF. I've used both fed small pistol and small rifle primers. Both were fine in terms of pressure, but I feel like the rifle primers give a more complete burn (only evidenced by less un burnt powder).

I like the 3N38. It's a great 38 super major pf powder in my view. :) just a bit pricey. to me it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

10.8gn!! yeeeha!! I'm assuming 38 super and I'm guessing it's getting close to a compressed load even with the small 115gn pill at 1.245.

Those IMM's have big popple holes though. I have 12 holes in my tanfog eric but they look to be about half the diameter of your 3 big ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to ask, why go up to 180 power factor with the 38 super? IPSC only ask for 165, for a 123 grain projectile using Vihtavuori 3N38 X 9.6 maximum grains of powder gives 1424 fps. That is under the 38 super lapua loading data from the Vihtavuori manual. that power factor alone is 175, a bit much??? Can you explain why the extra when there in no need?

A very confused shooter.

I mean no disrespect to anyone shooting that load, it just seems pointless as it can do damage to the gun, Maybe?

I have to ask, why go up to 180 power factor with the 38 super? IPSC only ask for 165, for a 123 grain projectile using Vihtavuori 3N38 X 9.6 maximum grains of powder gives 1424 fps. That is under the 38 super lapua loading data from the Vihtavuori manual. that power factor alone is 175, a bit much??? Can you explain why the extra when there in no need?

A very confused shooter.

I mean no disrespect to anyone shooting that load, it just seems pointless as it can do damage to the gun, Maybe?

Some folks develop their load for not just power factor, they have have found what the gun likes for accuracy and what makes the comp work for their shooting preference. Sometimes chasing that "flat" recoil means really throwing some powder for more "gas" to make that comp work.

That's exactly what happened to me. Was working loads up last week and was getting 172pf with about 9.2g 3N38 but the dot was really jumpy. Ran the load up to 9.6g/178pf and the dot started to behave a lot better. It depends on the powder too. I tried autocomp at 7.5g for 170pf the dot seemed fine, although not as flat as the higher 3n38 load. . after the results I got from 3n38, I was curious what would happen, I tried bumping the autocomp load a little up to 7.7 and 7.9. The gun got really violent and the dot got a out of control, so the higher PF with the autocomp didn't have the same result as the 3n38 at higher PF. Granted I'm new to reloading but it doesn't take long to figure out how different EACH powder is and how different individual guns are.

Thank you for that, it makes sense that you can adjust the powder amount to make the gun feel better in your hand.

Another question is I have used the 125 grain conical projectile in my 38 super Tanfoglio HC custom with ADI AP100 7.6 grains of powder and have found it to be quite consistent. I was talking to another shooter and he said that my bullets had to much curved type crimp and suggested that the crimp should be a tapered or straight type of crimp and after doing that, I have adjusted my loads. Question is I have been thinking of using a heavier projectile (130 or 135 grain 9mm conical) as the speed of the projectile will be less to make power factor, (I have seen the better shooters use these size projectiles) would that make the recoil less or because of the power factor it would be the same.?

SVI IMM 4.5" with 4 popple holes 2 port comp and 172 PF

- 121 gr. IFP Montana Gold

- 10.7 gr. 3N38

- 1.235 OAL

- .380 crimp

Consistent PF around the country in various temps.

• 2 weeks later...