Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mbx magazines

fitz

I took the MBX 170 9/38 mag that I have for testing to a local match today. My gunsmith had run a few rounds through it and only loaded it to 28 rds, so he asked me to do some real world match testing. I loaded it to 29 rds (reloadable) and did not try for 30 rds. After using my SV mags for our first four stages, I decided to use the MBX on our last three stages. It inserted and locked up just fine in my Dawson open gun with 29 rds and functioned flawlessly with the 9 major rounds. I had no prior practice time with it, so it was sink or swim time and I was very pleased with the initial results.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was able to load 30+1 of 9mm and 38 super comp in the 170mm mag, but only 29+1 with 38 super. The case rim takes up the difference in the round count. It might just take a few matches to relax the spring a little to get the extra super round in.

It did drop free and feed without problems in my PT steel grip.

I did notice that with 38 super the last 4 rounds tend to nosedive a little. A slight adjustment in the angle of the follower did fix the issue though.

MBX is spot on with the research and development of these mags. I plan on using them exclusively when I get a full set.

Got two 170s. Both hold 29 SC and 9 reloadable but 30 is a no-go out of the box. Both run great. Hopefully 30 will happen after the springs takes a set.

Yea I'm betting on the same thing. A little bit of use and I'm sure that last round will happen. Had it loaded and left it over night, it seemed to have relaxed a little aiding the +1 a little more

I did notice that with 38 super the last 4 rounds tend to nosedive a little. A slight adjustment in the angle of the follower did fix the issue though.

Interesting, this happened to me on the last magazine too! I decided not to pay attention to it, but what kind of adjustment did you do? Bent the spring, so the follower would be more nose-up?

Interesting, this happened to me on the last magazine too! I decided not to pay attention to it, but what kind of adjustment did you do? Bent the spring, so the follower would be more nose-up?

Yes, I just bent the top of the spring up a little to give it more of an angle in the tube. Seemed to solve the issue so far. Other than that the mag ran flawless.

After taking a set, my 170 does 30rds reloadable in 9mm & 38SC no problem. In 9mm, it has run 100%, but it has started choking about halfway through the mag with SC. Nosing down like they’re dragging mid tube.

I suspect it’s not liking a 1.245” oal, what are you guys running for oal?

After taking a set, my 170 does 30rds reloadable in 9mm & 38SC no problem. In 9mm, it has run 100%, but it has started choking about halfway through the mag with SC. Nosing down like they’re dragging mid tube.

I suspect it’s not liking a 1.245” oal, what are you guys running for oal?

Try bending the follower coil up slightly to increase the angle. Might help the feed a bit.

I run my OAL at 1.235

Got my two 170's yesterday. Before loading I disassembled them and squeezed each coil several times working my way up the spring . Compared the one spring to the other and it had lost about a full coil's worth of length. Loaded it up and it took 30 right off the bat. Haven't shot them but I can tell it will work.

The second magazine not only would not hold 30 but wouldn't work at all. Got to looking at it and the top of the spring and follower were cocked off to the side (came that way). I tweaked everything straight and bam it held 30 and feeds just like the other one now. Will order some spare springs just in case. Another thing. If you can load #30 by hand you are a stronger man than me. Get an uplula.

Happy customer.

Edited by ipscjoe

• 2 weeks later...

I ran the 'big stick' in my SS grip SVI IMM 38 SC gun at a match this weekend several times without issue. The mag holds 30+1 of 38 SC and I did run one stage with a 31 round count, it worked out nicely. Now how to squeeze in 31+1?

I ran the 'big stick' in my SS grip SVI IMM 38 SC gun at a match this weekend several times without issue. The mag holds 30+1 of 38 SC and I did run one stage with a 31 round count, it worked out nicely. Now how to squeeze in 31+1?

Good deal right. Had the same results this weekend with the 170.

30+1 starting mag, 29 reloadable all day. No feeding issues at all. They ran perfectly with super comp loaded at 1.235

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got the 170's last week and they load to 30+1 but are not reloadable. I really have to squeeze to get it to lock into my SV SS grip which is fine but it's to tight for a 7lb recoil spring to strip the second shot (1st round) off the top. I was using old SV big sticks which were the same but much easier to load.

I'm not sure the spring taking a set is going to make much difference. From what I can see through the witness hole I think the spring is completely compressed (stacked) at 30 rounds.

It does get a bit easier, but it still takes more force to insert it with 29 than it takes the SV magazine. Also, one of the two I have went salt shaker on me - and in a strange way. Usually when it happens, the magazine stops working. This one went perfectly fine through all the rounds, except the one below the follower - I later notices there was something rattling in it.

My new MBX 170 came today. I got 30 into it by putting the 29th and 30th round on paper on a table and pushing the mag down on the round and then sliding onto round instead of pushing the round into the mag. Way easier.

Also note the follower is not made to activate slide stop on last round fired so slide closes on empty.

I guess I need to mess with mine a bit. It holds 29 reloadable of 9mm major but it pretty repeatably pukes torward the end of the mag (say after 24 or 25). Gun runs fine with the old fashioned sv mags I normally use.

I need to call them when I get a chance and see what they recomend.

Otherwise looks to be an excellent mag

I guess I need to mess with mine a bit. It holds 29 reloadable of 9mm major but it pretty repeatably pukes torward the end of the mag (say after 24 or 25). Gun runs fine with the old fashioned sv mags I normally use.

Describe "pukes". Maybe I can help

Had the same thing happen with my 38super. I adjusted the front angle of the follower up a bit and it solved the round tipping forward issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk