Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI DVC Open and Limited guns

Quack

I sense a closure of this thread is very close.

What I don't understand, is why people want a factory gun so badly. For a few bucks more, you could have a full custom with your choice of cuts & parts, fitted perfectly, and probably quicker too.

I can't see half of these guns being fit for competition out the box, and not having to spend the money (or time sent back to STI) to get them right. Just my opinion after owning (1) factory STI, and spending more to fix the gun than what I would've if I just bought a custom.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name names.

I remember reading that STI had stated they expected to manufacture (sell) only 300 DVCs of each model per year but I also seem to remember reading that in view of how well the product orders have been going that they (STI) stopped some production lines in order to accommodate the DVC line. Does anyone know if this is, in fact, accurate? And if it is, how has their production plans changed?

I was told in no uncertain terms for a .38 to add popple holes. 3 worked on this gun with the load. This was from an STI sponsored shooter.

It's funny! my plan was this exactly. 38 Super DVC, shoot it first. then have 2 popple holes drilled, shoot again, then try a third. That seems to be the happy spot most custom builders settle on. Decent 3-4 chamber comp, 2-3 holes in barrel. thanks matt. very helpful input. :)

does anyone actually know of a DVC open (super or 9) in the wild? as in actually in the hands of a regular customer who ordered and purchased it through normal channels?

I was all set to put down money for a DVC open but my problem is I'm not even in the US. It's now nearly June and as best I can tell from talking to shooters in the US no one has seen a DVC open in the wild. That doesn't bode well for export sales.

2tap, out of interest after relinquishing your DVC open spot which model/brand open gun did you chose instead?

BB. I bailed on the DVC Open and got a CK Arms BlackOut. All made with solid steel cnc parts. No cast parts. Wilson hammer, Ed Brown safety, Aftec extractor... 3 pop holes. Actually, really happy I made the switch. No hard feelings to STI they have production issues on the Open guns they don't want to discuss... That is fine. Love Dawson and will order all my stuff from them when they have what I want but got this gun from Shooters Connection. They were great also.

Thanks for that info 2tap. The reason I asked is I am contemplating this exact same thing. Giving up on a DVC and going with one of the off the shelf CK arms open models.

Do you know if adding a CK arms steel grip was an option when you purchased? on the CK arms site it says it is an option on their off the shelf open model but on SC they just have the RTS2 option.

Anyway, I might actually start a thread on the CK arms opens rather than go off topic on this thread which is about the STI DVC models.

What I don't understand, is why people want a factory gun so badly. For a few bucks more, you could have a full custom with your choice of cuts & parts, fitted perfectly, and probably quicker too.

I can't see half of these guns being fit for competition out the box, and not having to spend the money (or time sent back to STI) to get them right. Just my opinion after owning (1) factory STI, and spending more to fix the gun than what I would've if I just bought a custom.

So I ordered mine on feb 2nd got it like 3 weeks ago. The trigger was very good I felt no need to adjust it whatsoever (right at 2.5 and nice reset). I will put a mainspring housing on it as I do not like the plastic one. The grip texture was good, sights where dead on. My gunsmith and I where practicing after I had adjusted my load for some new bullets. We where shooting at a chest size target at one hundred yards. He was able to double tap it and get two hits on his first try with it (granted this was luck to get both hits). This is a great gun for 3gun in 9 and I really like it a lot. I have been looking at custom guns for this for a while and I think I got a great value on this gun for my purpose. Dawson has put up with my calls to see where I am at on the list for about 3 weeks and the estimate that they gave me on delivery was only about 2 1/2 weeks off of what they originally told me. I tried very hard not to bug them to much about it as I know they are hard to get.

This gun far exceeds my expectations and is super easy to shoot. I have done nothing to it out of the box and it runs fine. As a matter of fact it runs as good as my edge that has been worked over and that I shoot in USPSA which has been the most reliable gun I have ever owned (time will tell if this is true of this gun as well but it shows all the signs of really being great). I have over 500 rounds though it now and everybody who has tried it has comented on how soft it is to shoot (again 9mm 1911's are but this is again far better then I expected).

The comments on suing companies for a product that has exceeded demand on this thread are crazy. I am pretty sure that Fiat is not getting sued over the availability of the Hellcat. Everybody take a deep calming breath and either decide that you want the pistol or get something else. Thank you STI for providing another great pistol. I love all of my STI's and this is my 3rd one. I doubt I will ever sell one of them as they are all great.

does anyone actually know of a DVC open (super or 9) in the wild? as in actually in the hands of a regular customer who ordered and purchased it through normal channels?

I was all set to put down money for a DVC open but my problem is I'm not even in the US. It's now nearly June and as best I can tell from talking to shooters in the US no one has seen a DVC open in the wild. That doesn't bode well for export sales.

2tap, out of interest after relinquishing your DVC open spot which model/brand open gun did you chose instead?

BB. I bailed on the DVC Open and got a CK Arms BlackOut. All made with solid steel cnc parts. No cast parts. Wilson hammer, Ed Brown safety, Aftec extractor... 3 pop holes. Actually, really happy I made the switch. No hard feelings to STI they have production issues on the Open guns they don't want to discuss... That is fine. Love Dawson and will order all my stuff from them when they have what I want but got this gun from Shooters Connection. They were great also.

Thanks for that info 2tap. The reason I asked is I am contemplating this exact same thing. Giving up on a DVC and going with one of the off the shelf CK arms open models.

Do you know if adding a CK arms steel grip was an option when you purchased? on the CK arms site it says it is an option on their off the shelf open model but on SC they just have the RTS2 option.

Anyway, I might actually start a thread on the CK arms opens rather than go off topic on this thread which is about the STI DVC models.

Not really sure but I would give Mike a call at Shooters Connection. Very helpful and if he does not know he will find out...

So I ordered mine on feb 2nd got it like 3 weeks ago. The trigger was very good I felt no need to adjust it whatsoever (right at 2.5 and nice reset). I will put a mainspring housing on it as I do not like the plastic one. The grip texture was good, sights where dead on. My gunsmith and I where practicing after I had adjusted my load for some new bullets. We where shooting at a chest size target at one hundred yards. He was able to double tap it and get two hits on his first try with it (granted this was luck to get both hits). This is a great gun for 3gun in 9 and I really like it a lot. I have been looking at custom guns for this for a while and I think I got a great value on this gun for my purpose. Dawson has put up with my calls to see where I am at on the list for about 3 weeks and the estimate that they gave me on delivery was only about 2 1/2 weeks off of what they originally told me. I tried very hard not to bug them to much about it as I know they are hard to get.

This gun far exceeds my expectations and is super easy to shoot. I have done nothing to it out of the box and it runs fine. As a matter of fact it runs as good as my edge that has been worked over and that I shoot in USPSA which has been the most reliable gun I have ever owned (time will tell if this is true of this gun as well but it shows all the signs of really being great). I have over 500 rounds though it now and everybody who has tried it has comented on how soft it is to shoot (again 9mm 1911's are but this is again far better then I expected).

The comments on suing companies for a product that has exceeded demand on this thread are crazy. I am pretty sure that Fiat is not getting sued over the availability of the Hellcat. Everybody take a deep calming breath and either decide that you want the pistol or get something else. Thank you STI for providing another great pistol. I love all of my STI's and this is my 3rd one. I doubt I will ever sell one of them as they are all great.

+ 1 for my vote.

Brazos reached out to me today and offered me a number of alternatives due to the delay of the STI DVC Open. I commend them for stepping up. Although I planned on waiting until Sept 17 for the arrival before making a decision, I have decided to cancel my order.

So the goods news for anyone who ordered an STI DVC Open 9mm after March 19 from Brazos.....you just moved up one place in the queue !

bravo for brazos, good of them to be proactive, good customer service brings customers back.

I ordered a 38 super open dvc from able ammo way back when and was told in an update from them over four weeks ago, they were getting the next 38 super open gun out of the sti factory, and I was first in line with them for that gun. nothing but crickets since, who knows what is going on. good thing I have a few other STI's to play with in other divisions.

Brazos reached out to me today and offered me a number of alternatives due to the delay of the STI DVC Open. I commend them for stepping up. Although I planned on waiting until Sept 17 for the arrival before making a decision, I have decided to cancel my order.

So the goods news for anyone who ordered an STI DVC Open 9mm after March 19 from Brazos.....you just moved up one place in the queue !

That's good to hear! :bow:

It would be easy for Brazos to say it's not their fault and point a finger at STI.

I hope all the guys and their families in Texas are safe. Hard to worry about the small stuff like, when am I going to get my DVC when devistating floods are taking lives.

Edited by Fowlmouths

I cleaned this thread up. Threatening lawyers and lawsuits are against the Forum guidelines. Customer service complaints are to be addressed directly to the company in question.

Is this going to be better than the Executive? Why would I upgrade to this?

Yes. The Executive is more or less just a factory chromed Edge with a white grip.

The DVC gets you a better trigger, better magwell, factory slide lightening cuts, TiN coated barrel, and textured grip. For new purchases it also includes more useful 140mm mags, though if you already have an Exec you're probably set on those.

I'm not sure I'd upgrade but starting from scratch the DVC seems to be a better value.

I couldn't wait. I bought the STi Apeiro. Since it has a sight tracker barrel there is material cut out of the slide so it is lightened like the DVC for less recoil and faster cycling. It's pretty awesome.

My name is still on the list at Dawson so I will probably get the DVC whenever they get down to me. But at least now I can be patient and not freak out waiting ............ :)

Edited by 3djedi

I got the call today. DVC is here!!! I ordered mine from a semi local dealer on March 27th, so I guess a litte luck never hurts in addition to some patients while waiting :)