Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practical Shooting Mecca of the World?

Gurkha

I started shooting rio 3yrs ago this month. I started with a S&W 6906 with a 3.8" barrel and a cracked frame. I've shot with the afore mentioned top notch shooters. I agree, you listen and learn, and improve. I'm 63, 60lbs overweight and aches and pains to numerous to mention. I've worked my way up to B Prod/B Ltd in my rio club. B Prod/C Ltd USPSA. I shoot a XDM 5.25. I agree there's so much to learn in a scenario like at rio.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the mid-90s I traveled from the UK to Rio Salado to shoot the (Ernie Hill) Desert Classic every November - the freedom enjoyed by Arizonans was simply mind-blowing. When the British Parliament banned handguns in 1997, I immediately set the wheels in motion to emigrate from my homeland to the US. I moved to CA in 1998, where I endured 2 years behind enemy lines before finally settling in AZ in 2000. Rio Salado has been my home range ever since, and wild horses could not drag me away. Mecca and sanctuary all in one.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

How fun could it really be for your typical middle of the road club shooter to live in Phoenix? I mean really, once the guy gets over being dumbfounded by all the legends that shoot there how fun could it be to get hammered every single match?

I find it fun to get hammered after every single match. :devil:

Phoenix is where I'll move when I get too sick of this damn snow.

Never been to AZ, but Houston would be tough to beat. I could easily shoot 12 local matches (3G, USPSA, IDPA,Steel Challenge) a month if staying married was not a consideration. :mellow:

I'm going through the divorce process now. Maybe I need to take a road trip to Rio/Phoenix and check out the scene :goof:

In the mid-90s I traveled from the UK to Rio Salado to shoot the (Ernie Hill) Desert Classic every November - the freedom enjoyed by Arizonans was simply mind-blowing. When the British Parliament banned handguns in 1997, I immediately set the wheels in motion to emigrate from my homeland to the US. I moved to CA in 1998, where I endured 2 years behind enemy lines before finally settling in AZ in 2000. Rio Salado has been my home range ever since, and wild horses could not drag me away. Mecca and sanctuary all in one.

Awesome!

Edited by Gurkha

For those in TX, what rifle opportunities exist nearby? I'm primarily interested in Highpower, Palma, and Smallbore. I've read of Fort Wolters, Mineral Wells, maybe a few others.

I hear there's a Bullseye pistol gathering in Amarillo (I shoot that too).

Any info is appreciated!

Mark

For those in TX, what rifle opportunities exist nearby? I'm primarily interested in Highpower, Palma, and Smallbore. I've read of Fort Wolters, Mineral Wells, maybe a few others.

I hear there's a Bullseye pistol gathering in Amarillo (I shoot that too).

Any info is appreciated!

Mark

Bayou Rifle around Houston has Highpower, here's their club calendar https://www.bayourifles.org/index.php/test.

The great state of idaho!

A match pretty much every weekend ( except for the winter months) steel challenge two nights a week. And some of the most devoted and capable match directors in the country!

And winter matches for those massochistic enough to shoot in the teens!

Wherever it is it SURE ain't Columbus, Oh. I'm having trouble find ANY sort of regular match around here. :(

Columbus, OH - NO!. Only a few indoor ranges.

BUT........

Try Pickaway County Sportsman, Inc. (PCSI - for short) east of Circleville on Route 22 about 4 miles from downtown Circleville.

They have 13 different Shooting Divisions and if they don't have a match for any of the shooting sports then the shooting sport is not very popular or the shooting sport hasn't been thought of yet. :closedeyes:

Sorry, I am not allowed to post a link to their web site.

Also, about 40 minutes south of Columbus.

Good luck.

Jake

Edited by jakeh

central Florida ....between USPSA, IDPA & Steel Challenge you can shoot a match every Saturday & Sunday of every week all year round, all within 1 1/2 hrs of each other ... and you can train with some of the top instructors in the country as well ...

I've talked to people who used to live here in Az and shot at Rio regularly. They had to move for various reasons but when they started shooting at local clubs in their new communities they found they were at or near the top of the food chain.

Having moved away from the East Valley last year, I can back this up. It's fun not getting hammered into the dust every match, but there's also so many opportunity to learn from others.

Edited by Exurbankevin

I've talked to people who used to live here in Az and shot at Rio regularly. They had to move for various reasons but when they started shooting at local clubs in their new communities they found they were at or near the top of the food chain.

Having moved away from the East Valley last year, I can back this up. It's fun not getting hammered into the dust every match, but there's also so many opportunity to learn from others.

What do you mean 'getting hammered'? You mean not winning? who cares? are you getting better? If so, winning will take care of itself eventually. If not, why not?

I've yet to figure out why so many people make other people the focus of their self-image. Shooting is not like billiards or boxing or chess where you are competing against an opponent, and each of you reacts to the others actions. It's more like golf, where you just do your thing, and then everyone compares scores. You can have a better or worse score than someone else, but who really cares? It's more about how *you* shot and whether you are improving or not.

Face the facts. If you are not one of a handful of elite shooters, then the only time you are ever going to 'win' is if the elite shooters and a bunch of other slightly less elite folks don't show up, or have major malfunction. "winning" is fiction. Getting better is reality.

Rio is the Trio, but SoCal has more ranges. Norco, Prado, West End, Gopher Flats, Piru, Apple Valley, Pala, Palm Springs, Oceanside, Bakersfield, Alpine for sanctioned matches and handful more of local action.