Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

Go VERY EASY on that elbow. Take it from me. don't injure it further.

Let it rest and you'll just have to do less reloading and less practice, and lighting your grip until you can do stuff without pain. The WORST thing you can do is injure it more by hammering, picking up heavy objects, or pulling a macho man and powering through it.

Relax and rehab.

I fought this for YEARS and only now can I make it through a match without pain.

My recovery was to let someone else do the heavy lifting and never grab a hammer. Also, go get acupunture. Acupuncture was the single most effective thing I ever did and never saw improvement until then.

Then when you can do it without pain use a HandMaster. Maybe start out with the whimpy one and them work up.

There are many threads about this in here.

Good luck. Also, take it easy on your back. Same drill. Don't hurt it more! Put all your macho shit aside and recover, but tha'ts another story. I'm lucky to not have back issues... but jeez, these elbow issues suck!

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came back from a local match. I shot this match without any Ds. My training is working.

I had 3 stage wins. it was fun.

I feel strong mid range targets. Now is the time to work on 30 yrd poppers

I struggled so much with 30 yard steal today. I exactly remember what happened. I felt tense on my shoulder and the front sight was very blurry. I couldn't tell if it was well aligned or not. I was focusing on the movement of texas star and sight focus was off.

I will work on sight focus at 30 yard, sight focus, target focus, mid focus.

I felt I am physically stronger from practicing all the running drills.

One hosing stage, I shot too many "alpha charlie". I will be able to shoot fast and still shoot all alpha. I think my grip was a little loose now, from sweat and not gripping hard enough.

i had a couple reloading problems, especially mags not coming out freely when the slide is locked back. I hate that problem. I also didn't look at the magwell untill the mag goes into the mag well(magwell focus).I will fix it.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

I have watching your videos, don't forget the general fitness since you have some back issue, flexibility and leg strength.

Maybe some time off will help you relax a bit. Keep it up!

Thank you! BeerBaron. I ordered new sear and hammer. I will be running my cz this weekend, not being fixed yet...

I will suck it up and shoot at the match :D

My back is bothering me again. Chiropractor is fixing it hard but I don't know when I will be like I was 5 years ago :(

I've been keep loading and shooting. Now I am running outta ammo again and my elbow started hurtting from all the crazy reloading.

I need some solution.... I will try to work out to have more strength on my arm to pull down the press more.

Body chemical experiment is going pretty well. No caffeine but Powerade is working fine. I just started to sleep early as well, at 10pm or 11.

I now know where to aim for (most) partial targets. now it's time to do more long dist with'em

if you are hurting yourself loading look at how the press is setup. you may need to switch the press height, or consider loading standing or sitting (depending which you do now). inline fabrication sell what they call an 'ergo' handle which is bent so that you don't need to go as low on the stroke. not so good for those loading sitting but great if you load standing up which may be better for your back and elbow. definitely get a roller handle if you don't already. I also find if I limit my sessions to just 300 rounds I don't feel any impact. after 500 I notice it (I have a steel plate in my strong side shoulder + 9 bolts though!). so I do more sessions but keep them shorter.

I hit the range today.

I made a drill for the first time.

The focuses of the drill are accuracy after movement, prepping the trigger in long transitions, reload while moving and calling my shots with steel targets.

Setup- plate rack, usp, big popper.
3 boxes at 12, 20, 25. Shoot one plate(two plates at the last box), popper usp, then move to the next box. Repeat untill you come back to the starting box. switch starting box then start another run.

I feel my shooting is getting better and better. My eye speed is getting faster as well. However, I see tons of things I can improve on.

In big transitions, I'd like to move my head(eyes) first. I feel like I am moving my upper torso and my head fixed right now.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Thanks guys for great tips.

I am taking Pilates class right now. It helps my back and flexibility.

I am considering going to gym, and maybe in the future, I might do cross fit.

I have ordered some aftermarket parts for D650 to make it smoother. hope it works well.

Excellent progression!

I feel the same way in regards to eye speed and grip.

For eyes, I used to have a really hard time focusing on a spot on the target and driving my shot to my point of aim.

For grip, my shots would always fly left and low until I learned to pinch the grip with my strong hand (right hand for me). Now I'm working on my weak hand gripping to improve my follow-up shots; still have a ways to go as it's a bit hard to do this shooting 40 s&w major.

As for overall body strength, this is critical to improvement. For me I use weight training for my: shoulders, back, core, and legs. Plates and crossfit are both excellent options.

Again, great work and you are looking more and more polished!

Will

Couple notes from today's match.

I shot 2 NS, and 1 hardcover mike. All of the shots were 2nd shot of the double tabs (or controled pair whatever). I definitely did not shot controlled pair today. I had terrible neck pain and my vision was kind of blurry.

I did more DF this week but less live fire. The week before at the match, I shot everything As or Cs. that week, I did lots of LF that week I was able to shoot both first shot and the second of double tabs very well. I need to figure out how to shoot controlled second shot without tons of LF. I think visualizing controlled pair ( esp. the second shot) the day before and at walkthru may help. I will do some training on'em

I had couple brain farts and couple trigger control at close distance targets. I still shot make up shots for 2 C's and a Delta. It did not help my hit factor at all.

Other than that, I see some improvements on movements and reloads. Also my first shots are great lol.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Hey, there are two shots right? If you are getting 1st shot well, that's half the battle. hehehe! You'll get that second shot in control soon. You are improving and most importantly MAKING NOTES OF SUCH. This will only lead to MORE improvement.

Visualizing both shots will eventually lead to seeing them during live fire. Keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Stoeger's class was a blast.

I was so blessed to take the class.

I learned what is one of the most important thing for my shooting, perhaps for my life as well.

DISCIPLINE. Even though I have speed and accuracy, I am not as consistent. I learned the key to consistency is discipline.

Ben is huge in shooting at his own pace, shooting controlled shots. I have a new perspective of shooting now..

There was eye discipline drill called cadence drill. I had a problem pulling my gun too early even before I fire the shot before transition or reload.

Ben's definitely good at stage break down. He told me not to think in terms of distance but in terms of time when I chose short distance awkward backward movement.

He taught me some mental stuff. "if your gun jams, clear it then calm down, aim more."

He's books and forums were my main resources to learn shooting. There is no end of study, no end of Ben crush. . I hope He doesn't stop making those great shooting books and stuff.

Learning from Ben Stoeger helped me a lot to be better shooter very fast.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Today, I was thinking what I need to be a world champion. I came up with 4 words. ACED.

Accuracy

Consistency

Efficiency

Discipline.

(Yes, speed is not one of them)

These are the focuses on my shooting.

My drills to work on for ACED will include lots of transitions with distance change with various target types (partials, poppers, small scale targets, etc) with movements involved.

Today at the match, I focused on Discipline.

The result? I loved it. I shot very consistent, no F up stage, shot 92% of available points.

It was so far the best match in my shooting.

Also my friend Michael Poggie won 4th at revolver nats. It is awesome. he grew up so fast and doing so good. congrats to him.

I like when I know what I need to work on. Now it is Discipline and some one handed shooting.

Next weekend, I am going to Inland Empire sectional match. I have Oregon state championship the week after.

I am going to hit hard on my training for coming 2 weeks. more of disciplined shooting practices. lots of partials, distance change ups, movements,

My next goal is shooting 95% of available points

you are going awesome! that last match vid I noticed especially on the first stage you looked a lot more relaxed, often your reloads and some movements look 'rushed' like you're pushing the speed just a bit too far. in that stage in partciular everything was silky smooth but still super fast.

I did see a couple reloads at the end where you ran into the outcoming mag with the incoming mag. 2 things can fix that. some production legal bases for extra weight (your buddy ben sells some) but I think it's a timing thing. looking at it slowly you could press the mag release just a hair earlier. it would get the mag out and gone before your hand shoots up with the new mag. :)

edit: I love your ACED thing. I agree it's not about speed it's about economy/efficiency of movement. watching some of jerry miculek videos he says the same thing over and over. "Anything that doesn't directly add to my performance...I don't do it". and says stuff like "I keep things simple. The simplest, most repeatable way is the fastest way".

Edited by BeerBaron

I noticed you were shooting the plates right to left. What was it about shooting that direction that made it faster for you? Impressive, by the way!!

If you are talking about the stage shooting poppers then go slide lock, i shot right far popper first to get good position + stance.

The first right USP popper was the most difficult target of the ray. If I start from the left, I may end up with weird stance with the rightmost popper cuz the angle between the leftmost target and rightmost target is very big.

you are going awesome! that last match vid I noticed especially on the first stage you looked a lot more relaxed, often your reloads and some movements look 'rushed' like you're pushing the speed just a bit too far. in that stage in partciular everything was silky smooth but still super fast.

I did see a couple reloads at the end where you ran into the outcoming mag with the incoming mag. 2 things can fix that. some production legal bases for extra weight (your buddy ben sells some) but I think it's a timing thing. looking at it slowly you could press the mag release just a hair earlier. it would get the mag out and gone before your hand shoots up with the new mag. :)

edit: I love your ACED thing. I agree it's not about speed it's about economy/efficiency of movement. watching some of jerry miculek videos he says the same thing over and over. "Anything that doesn't directly add to my performance...I don't do it". and says stuff like "I keep things simple. The simplest, most repeatable way is the fastest way".

Thank you so much for your analysis on me! I learned alot from you!

I am definitely trying to be more aggressive in my shooting.

one of the stages (33 rnd stage), since I decided to hose a bit, my discipline level went down. I shot 8 C's on the stage. When I finished the stage, I definitely felt "rushed"

Classification updated. I need 5% to be a GM. Since I decided to shoot classifier ACED mode and not thinking differently because it's classifier, I am shooting classifiers better and consistent.

Tomorrow is my first level 2 match of this year and my second level 2 match in my shooting career. The week after tomorrow is another level 2 match Oregon State championship.

I am so exited for it and ready for it.

Looking at the stage diagrams, there are many swingers and reactive targets. I dont have many experience on those yet. I am expecting some kind of MISTAKE, so I can work on it before nationals.

I probably shot 3k rounds past 2 weeks. Mostly partial targets. I feel very comfortable on some partial targets. I want to be comfortable shooting all types of partials. I am going to make big wholes on all kinds of partials so that I get bored of shooting them. Then I will get some access to swingers and make it even harder.

A goal I have this year is shooting Ben Stoeger's dot drill without dropping a shot at 7 yrds. The drill is perfect to develop 'Discipline'.

I am going to be focusing on ACED again at the match. The number of my rank doesn't matter but the attainment matters for me :D

I shot my first major match this year. I learned alot.

I slept 4hrs of crappy sleep and woke up at 11 pm to go to the match to save some money. After long drive, I was the first shooter on line, not being ready much. I double engaged a target and had a brain fart.

Gun jammed. CZ ejector spring was probably worn out.

After lunch I was somewhere else, I made a mistake on make ready routine. I chambered a round and all of the sudden, I checked if I had 10 rnds on my mag and put it back in to mag pouch. After that, I calmed down shot really good points until I thought I did not have enough mag to finish and retrieved a mag from the ground and broke 180. It took me over 10 months to get first DQ. I thought it was very fun making stupid mistake. BUT I will not let this happen anymore.

My shots at the match was very very good. However there was this one target half covered by a wall. I shot thru the wall and shot a make-up, probably thru the wall again. The RO called it A and M. I thought I see little bit of grease ring on D which was a big whole. MD came she said that's D and M. I told here I see a clear whole with a grease ring on. She said "No that is through the wall". and repeated it has clear grease mark and a whole on D zone has partial grease rignt. Then I realized I shouldn't make it an argument.

I learned when to call and when not to call a MD and sleep depriving is detrimental for me.

I have big confidence on shooting partials now.

I am going to work on making shots with a wall in front of a target.

Knowing you and your determination this small mistake won't slow you down at all, if anything it will only speed you up more and make you more difficult to beat ;)

Either way it was good shooting.

Wyatt

sorry you got DQ'd at a match you were so looking forward to. :(

I tend to think it's true what people say. Basically if you shoot long enough and regularly enough there are only 2 groups of shooters. Those who have been DQ'd and those who will be DQ'd... it happens to most of us at some point.

It was a pretty marginal call. Probably what hurt was the gun was at full extension and the rear fault line was on an angle. But at the end of the day for safety violations we generally have to accept the RO call and move on.

The 4 hours sleep and driving overnight would not have helped. I know money can be tight being a young guy/student.

Consider teaming up with a guy in your club/other local shooter and go to matches together. That way you can both contribute for fuel cost, and share a hotel room (with 2 beds!!!). Makes the cost half. And it's someone to share the driving with too. If the match is any more than 2hrs drive from my house, I will always try and drive up the afternoon before and stay overnight. Otherwise you are getting up so early and driving so far you are tired before the match even starts.

I hope you have better luck at the next match. :)