Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

On 4/23/2017 at 4:56 AM, WxGuy said:

Hwan,    Hwansik,

Great shooting!  It's fun following your progress!!

I'm sure this has been brought up before; what holster/mag pouch combo are you running with the Q5?  I just purchased one.

What's next for you?

I am running Boss hanger + blade tech holster from Ben Stoeger pro shop and Guga Ribas mag pouches.

I am shooting Area 5 next month. :) 

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a very busy past couple weeks.

Finally having 5 days shooting off vacation :D

Then I am going to train hard!

I had a chance to move to a squad with Dave Sevigny and Jacob H. 

it was my first time squading with a top shooter. I absolutely enjoyed shooting with them. Amazing experience.

I shot pretty well in the beginning and the end but around lunch time, I felt dragging and less focused. I was not eating well around the lunch time. When my wife came back from her lunch, she started feeding me which brought my focus back.

Dave S shoots extremely consistently. He's really efficient and he does not waste any time. He's movements are super solid and shooting on the move was really good, especially backward movements. 

I need to work on SOM backward

• 1 month later...

I had a great time at Area 5. I feel I am at a very different level now. My shooting has been improved so much.

I also learned a couple things.

1. Working out and getting my heart beat up in the morning helps for the first stage jitter.(It was Casey Reed's tip). It was a great tip. I felt so much better when I did on the 2nd day of shooting.

2. Shooting a far noshoot target after shooting a fast drop turner is very dangerous. I must either really check the alignment or change the sequence to shoot easier target after a speed shoot target.

3. speed trap. Even if it looks very close targets, high HF and fast shooting, I should be focusing on shooting As.

The biggest hole in your game that I see are your stage plans. Some of your stage plans are not as efficient as they could be. You are at a skill level where your competition is using the most efficient stage plan regardless of how much they really "like" it simply because it will produce the best result. Using less than optimal stage plans that are executed properly will get you Master class titles, but it won't get you overall match wins. You are at a skill level where you can content for the overall match win, so you can't afford to leave any performance advantage on the table. 

Your best tool in this is a stop watch and dry firing the stage at a realistic pace using the alternating plans to know which plan will produce the best result. 

Edited by CHA-LEE

On 6/9/2017 at 2:11 PM, CHA-LEE said:

The biggest hole in your game that I see are your stage plans. Some of your stage plans are not as efficient as they could be. You are at a skill level where your competition is using the most efficient stage plan regardless of how much they really "like" it simply because it will produce the best result. Using less than optimal stage plans that are executed properly will get you Master class titles, but it won't get you overall match wins. You are at a skill level where you can content for the overall match win, so you can't afford to leave any performance advantage on the table. 

Your best tool in this is a stop watch and dry firing the stage at a realistic pace using the alternating plans to know which plan will produce the best result. 

Thanks for the advice

• 4 weeks later...

Hwansik-

I have a grip question for you, if you'll humor me:

It looks like you are using one of the smaller grip modules on your Walther (either the small or medium). Since you are a tall guy, I assume you have fairly large hands and long fingers. So, are you able to get much left-hand contact with the grip of the gun while shooting freestyle, or are you mostly crushing the fingers of your right hand with your left hand?

The reason I ask is because I seem to have a much more repeatable index with the medium grip module on my Walther, but have more gripping surface on the weak-hand side of the gun with the large and seem to be able to control recoil better.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2017 at 7:34 AM, AtomicToaster said:

Hwansik-

I have a grip question for you, if you'll humor me:

It looks like you are using one of the smaller grip modules on your Walther (either the small or medium). Since you are a tall guy, I assume you have fairly large hands and long fingers. So, are you able to get much left-hand contact with the grip of the gun while shooting freestyle, or are you mostly crushing the fingers of your right hand with your left hand?

The reason I ask is because I seem to have a much more repeatable index with the medium grip module on my Walther, but have more gripping surface on the weak-hand side of the gun with the large and seem to be able to control recoil better.

Thanks!

Hi. 2 principles of grip is 1. leverage 2. friction

First, one thing I learned when I was studying physics is that the more amount of contact doesn't mean more friction. (The surface of contact affects pressure but not friction)

Now, the question is if my left hand needs more contact with the grip. I would say no.

The real question for me is how can I increase the friction to maximize the control in recoil.

So I recommend finding a grip that you can squeeze both hands efficiently then try to match the grip size according to that.

I personally match the left four fingers on the finger grooves on my right hands. Also align the second knuckles of my left fingers to the second knuckles of my right hand fingers. This is just an example. Please find what works for your hand size through training.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

• 2 weeks later...

Some prone shooting.

- Keep your elbow angles the same as standing shooting. (Keep your elbows wide so that the elbow will not be so bent after recoil)

- Hard front sight focus and try to aim a little bit higher if possible.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

So on the most recent Shooting USA they covered the carry optics match and followed everyone but you, then just showed you at the end in 2nd place. One would have thought they could have seen someone doing really well and would have at least spoken to them at some point.

On 6/7/2017 at 3:33 PM, hwansikcjswo said:

I also learned a couple things.

1. Working out and getting my heart beat up in the morning helps for the first stage jitter.(It was Casey Reed's tip). It was a great tip. I felt so much better when I did on the 2nd day of shooting.

Hwansik,

Could you please specify what kind of work out would you do before the match?  Running? light weight lifting?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Walther specific. 

When re gripping (draw, reload, moving into position etc), my support hand index finger second joint area touches first as an index point. It gives me better indexing of the sight.

When reloading, make sure the angle of the mag well is more toward the body so that the front part of the mag (or your index finger) touches the front of the mag well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the videos. I love to see your videos, because they come with first and third person view. With first person view, I can see what you "see" and how fast I need to "see". With third person view, I can learn how to use my lower body. Thanks again.

PS, I dry fire with people's first person view videos. It is not 100% real, but I get to know how fast I need to recognize target and pull a shot.

Edited by Magictalent

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...