Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

He wasn't born a USPSA GM, he got there through his hard work. :)

Although, I am not a USPSA GM YET :) I am a Master class.

lol. sorry. you will be soon. :)

also master sounds cooler. you can say "i have the master card".

saying "I am a grand master" makes it sound like maybe you are some kind of wizard or member of the kkk...... :blush:

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally my second year of shooting is ending with the National championship.
I am leaving tomorrow, the shooting is for 3 days.
My hands are beat up and ready.
Now it is the time to see what God has prepared for me at the championship.

Joshua 1:9 (NRSV)

9 I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

13892250_10154413846477241_565856332505613879212_10154413846482241_6858861980187

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Dang! You're just a natural shooter then!!! I started shooting in March, but I'm nowhere even close to your level of skill! I probably need to start dry firing a lot more at home.

I would disagree with this and agree a little with what Chic said (though he is probably too modest).

He neccissarily gifted with some natural gun handling magic talent. He may have someaffinity with gun handling. He probably does have some desirable physical traits for USPSA. I'd say almost certainly has excellent vision and good reflexes/reactions, he is fit/athletic build. BUT his fast rise to the top level in production USPSA has come from masses of hard work. and I don't mean just firing round after round.

He spent time researching what the top guys are doing and WHY they do it that way. Then tried those styles/techniques for himself and kept what worked and thew out what didn't work. he also spent money on professional coaching and on top of that lots of dry fire and lots of live fire. Finally he spent a lot of effort to video both training and matches and then spend the time to analyse those videos to isolate mistakes/errors and then correct then through proper practice, while celebrating the things he was doing well.

I only say this as often when people improve quickly or get to the higher levels of a sport people say "wow he is so lucky to have that much talent" or something similar. To me that discounts the hard work they put in. They improve faster than the other guys because they try harder and work longer at it.

He wasn't born a USPSA GM, he got there through his hard work. :)

Chic has put in the work, he's asked questions to the people who ask questions. He's researched things other top shooters are doing off the range; how to train, how to think, how to solve the problem.

He still asks questions, and gives his input when they are asked of him. Taking in what others say, trying to see what works and what doesn't for him is his secret. Practice, commitment, desire, and patience are his secrets.

No one is born with the talent to succeed at this game, you have to want it first, then earn it. Broken finger or not, he will succeed this week at nationals, and again in a few weeks at IPSC nationals. Because he made the choice to.

Haha, I think a lot of people here would beg to differ!

Your diary is quite an inspiration to me along with JJ Racaza's videos. I've started dry firing a lot more daily starting to realize that I can get a lot of work done at home with my very limited ammo supply. Like you, I'm also a grad student so funds are really a limiting factor for me :(

That said, I wish I had a range like yours near me!

I am glad it inspires you!

If you are in america, except some states, it shouldn't be so hard to find an open field where you can go shoot :D

Before i moved to a current city, I had to drive 45 min to an out-door range. but now, 15 min :)

Yea, I have an outdoor range near me with few rules (actually cheaper than my current range) which I think I'll sign up next year. It's about 20 minutes away, but my current range is indoors and only 5 minutes away which is hard to beat! That said, I do pay way too much for it. I think once I hone my basic shooting skills I'll move to the outdoor range where I can actually shoot faster.

Good luck at Nationals!

Quickly jotting down what I learned at nats.

STAY FOCUSED!!!!!:ph34r:

Door entry - to be faster on the first shot, keep the gun closer to the door

Emotion - Be emotionless when you are shooting soon.

Focus - if you are exited or zone out, remember to focus back on the game.

Faster transitions to close open steel.

Conversation with Sal Luna's dad - be like a weapon.

Choose a whole day match instead of half day if possible.

The first 2, 3 stages plan safely. I have shaky hands and dimmed vision on my first stage or two.

Secure extra rounds in the mag. Add more reload even if you have 9 shots array if you are shooting a difficult target you've not tried shooting (e.g.partial mini popper)

The most efficient way is sometimes not the best way. Learn to be safer and measure risk vs award

I need to draw faster.

LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE

Goal for next yr is to shoot more majors with great shooters. 

another goal is no injury before nats :D

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Other things from the nats.

Watching Super Squad, it was very interesting how they shoot the same plans and compare each other.

It was very interesting who pushes what and where. I saw some people pushing too much and fail. and some cruises through till the last sections of the match then push at the end stages.

For me, it was very interesting how all of the transitions fast and many splits fast on all targets.

Chic,

I got to watch a few of your runs at Nationals, you looked strong!  I knew I recognized your name from somewhere, but couldn't place it...now I know!  Good luck with the training this year and hopefully I'll see you at Nats next year (if PROD and CO are at the same location again)!

And yes, watching the Super Squad shoot was excellent! Seeing them shoot in person is a strange mixture of effortless "That looked easy, I can totally do that" and awestruck "Wow, that was fast!"

- Alex

Edited by AEuropa

The first assignment for fundamentals improvement. 

TRIGGER CONTROL

I am going to develop 2 trigger press. Slapping and prepping. 

I would do lots of difficulty change drills to mix the two trigger pulls. Slapping on easy shots, prepping on hard shots. 

My goal is to have zero trigger freeze while being able to shoot fast and accurate.

Thanks guys.

I just popped a couple hundo rounds focusing on trigger ctrl.

My right hand grip is too tight, I occasionally have trigger freeze.

I found that the trigger ctrl is directly related to grip pressure.

I need to remove some tension on my right hand.

My homework right now is to figure out the right grip pressure for the right hand.

the same question was given to Shane Coley and Rob Latheam

What do you think when you hear "Stand by".

Rob said "the engagement sequence"

Shane said "Front sight, front sight, front sight"

From PPS, Ben said "I wanna shoot A's"

I have noticed that I think about the good grip and engagement sequence.

I may try other 2 shooters thoughts

I have shot many rounds to figure out how to shoot without a singer trigger freeze. i have found that when I am relaxed, I can shoot hard shot easy shot mix without a trigger freeze. but the sight seems more floppy from relaxing. \

When I grip really hard, the sight tracks much easier and more accurate second shot. but I tense up resulting in trigger freeze.

I need to find the balance of relaxing vs tesion

Maybe... Work on isolation of the trigger finger during hard grip.  This comes from strength training grip using COC.  Real strength training, not getting one that you can do more than 15-20 times.  Get one that you can't do more than 5 and work toward doing it 10 times.  When you get do it more than 10, get the next weight up.

Also, think about making your trigger return weight lighter.  I talked with someone about making it heavier and he recommended against it because you try to pull again without waiting for it to return.  (since it feels too close to the pull weight.)

Anyways, you are doing great and I'm sure you'll overcome this soon.

When I was taking a shower after DF, I realized that I started gripping the old style after pinky injury.

My right hand grip needs to stop squeezing and grip like a vice (forward / rearward force dir.)

I did 3 DF sessions today because the range is closed. I couldn't LF.

I am having elbow issue from loading with 650. I am going to sell my glock and CZ to get a 1050 after IPSC nats.

I am analyzed my scores from the nats.

I am very strong at medium courses.

I need some work on big field courses. I need better stage planning. safer but efficient. 

I am week at small stages. I need to work on faster draw (gun manipulation) with good grip and aggressiveness if high hit factor.

2 notes from WA state match

Mental game

Bringing God's characteristics  to the range / match.

I need to be gracious to myself, not beating myself up after mistakes happen.

Stage planning

Minimizing risk bytpositioning and then shoot rather than shooting while positioning.

I found shooting while moving into position makes sight picture bounce (Noise).

Minimize the noise!!!

I had a stage with 2 ten rounds arrays with difficult shots (poppers, partials). I made a couple make-up shots due to shooting while coming into position which forced a standing reload. 

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Thank you! 

At nationals, I remember my sight picture being clearer than ever. It gave me the extreme accuracy but it slowed me down at close open targets.

I see that my vision focus was not really as target focus as other times. 

I need to be able to switch from target focus to sight focus depends on the difficulty at all times.