Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else getting these Results in the Pro Custom 18.9?

accu9

I removed the ridiculous series 80 parts and replaced with a .057" shim. I am thrilled with the results, best $10 I have ever spent! I don't have a before picture but the trigger pull from the factory was in the 3.7# range.

post-56889-0-86780700-1421246160_thumb.j

I can't wait to try a 17# mainspring.

I bought a Para P14-45 back in June of '95 and the shim replacement for the Series 80 parts was one of the first things I did to it. I also replaced the hammer, sear, and disconnector, swapped the mainspring for a 17 lb., and tweaked the searspring. All of the finessing performed got me a glass-crisp 2 lb. pull. At one point I put the series 80 junk back in and it didn't increase the weight a whole lot - it just made it feel gritty. Took it back out and have never looked back. Still use the gun in Limited to this day.

Edited by Jeff Matzka

I removed the ridiculous series 80 parts and replaced with a .057" shim. I am thrilled with the results, best $10 I have ever spent! I don't have a before picture but the trigger pull from the factory was in the 3.7# range.

attachicon.gifPro Custom trigger.jpg

I can't wait to try a 17# mainspring.

I want one of those $10 shims. Where did you get it from?

I have used the ones from TJs Custom (tjscustomgunworks.com). Can't remember where I get them, but pretty sure it was one of the big name retailers that I just put some in with my order occasionally.

In fact, I just installed one today in an older P14 and that removal/ replacement almost lowered trigger pull 3/4 lb...

Brownells carries the TJ's shims. I have them in all my Para's. 18.9's come with a 14 lb mainspring according to published Para info. I've had results with the trigger on my Pro Custom 18.9. It's a sweet shooting pistol.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed them many years ago in my Paras, and 80 series 1911. I set it in place in the guns with the pins and drilled a hole for 4/40 tap. I drilled frame to clearance hole and used a countersink and tapped the shim plate. Trimmed the screw to correct length, and used Loctite. I never have to fuss around taking it in and out and you barely know the screw is there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be picking up one of those TJ shims from Brownells. My only complaint with the gun is the spongy reset. Is anyone else having this issue? It feels like the trigger reset lags behind my finger release. What could I do to fix this problem? Also, what would going to a heavier mainspring do for me? Say a 17lb vs. the factory 14lb. From what I've read, a lighter mainspring allows you to run a heavier recoil spring? Thanks for the help. I've been reading a lot here, but I'm totally new to fiddling with 1911's.

Getting rid of the Series 80 parts will help the reset also. Bend the sear spring leg for the grip safety back for more tension. My 18.9 PC trigger has broken in nicely and I couldn't be happier with it.