Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer choice for Garand

tcoz

For those of you who handload .30-06 for an M1 Garand, what CCI primers do you use? I'll be loading 150gr FMJBT over IMR4895. I use CCI 5.56 NATO SRP's for my AR's but I don't know whether regular, magnum or NATO primers would be best for the Garand which I ordered yesterday from the CMP.

Have fun with the Garand. They are great fun to shoot. I shoot 168 Gr and H-4895. I also use CCI 41 primers.They are harder and are supposed to prevent a slam fire when you release the bolt. Never had a slam fire so it must be working. ;)

I am a long time highpower shooter and while I don't shoot my M1 all that much I have shot one more then many. Many people use federal match and WIN primers in the M1A, M14 and M1 garand without issues. I cant recall that anyone at the matches ever talked about special primers.

I have loaded some .30-06 with surplus 4895 powder that I got from GI brass and I think that's its really Russian "4895" which is slow and acts more like 4064. I have used standard WIN and WOLF primers in two M1's and a 1903 and I was getting delayed ignition. I ordered some rem 9.5 primers that I was going to try but never got around to it.

I would try the normal primers and see what happens, with new primers I don't think you will have an issue with ignition.

Keep bullet weights between 147 - 175. Use 4895-4064 burn range powders and medium loads. FL size and trim your brass. I don't recall what the ball or M72 loads are but with a little research you can duplicate them.

I've used whatever is handy and never had any issues. I have noticed that the primer pockets on commercial brass is quite a bit looser than the HXP that I have. The Garand is probably my favorite gun that I have. I use it for CMP matches and some 3 gun occasionally. Many people, myself included, like IMR 4064. I run it with 46 grains with either a 150 or 168 gr bullet. Its a softer charge than factory with either bullet and shoots well with both bullets. I also like 36 grains of 4064 behind a 170 grain lead bullet with a gas check. Easier on the shoulder, easier on the gun, and cheap. That load works very well in the bays when shooting 3 gun.

I know you didn't ask, but always use a single load device when appropriate. Seems like many of the sf problems you hear of are because of someone closing the bolt on a free round placed directly in the chamber. Oh I have always used Win LR primers and no issues to date. I have chambered/ejected dozens of live rounds just to inspect and no marks ever found on the primer.

My original intent was to load single rounds whenever necessary by riding the bolt halfway before releasing it, but after reading so much about Garand slamfires, I've decided to use a SLED.

I do have a couple of questions regarding this. First, can you only load an Enbloc clip with a full eight rounds? I'm asking this because I've seen clips that hold everything from the single round SLED all the way up to five or six rounds. Secondly, can any of these clips be downloaded or do all of them have to be loaded to their full capacity.

So, you're saying that you insert a fully loaded clip then download it after its seated? I read today that the CMP doesn't recommend the use of a SLED but there wasn't any reason given. It seems that most Garand owners use them. Can anyone tell me why they're not recommended?

I've never used a SLED. What you can do is put an empty clip in the gun, put in 1 or 2 rounds, push them down, close the bolt over them, then rack the bolt normally to charge the chamber. When loading 1 though, I just put the cartridge directly in the chamber, ease the bolt down most of the way, and then drop it the last half inch or so. If it doesn't snap over the rim, just bump the charging handle with your palm to close it up. I don't think slamfires are as common as people let on. If I was guessing, high primers probably cause most of them.

Thanks RJH. Not having received my rifle yet and having no experience with them, I didn't know whether they could be downloaded. Now I know they can so I'll probably hold off on ordering a SLED.

I agree that high primers cause the majority of slamfires. I always use CCI 41 mil-spec primers when I load for my AR's and plan to use CCI 34 mil-spec primers when I start loading .30-06 as an extra layer of protection.

when shooting an M1 I have never used a sled. the Clip holder mechanism provides some resistance on the bottom of the bolt when slamming it and if you do things properly with an M1 your hand kind of holds the bolt a little. With an M14 you should not slam the bolt with a found in the chamber without a magazine in the rifle or so i'm told as the magazine slows things down a little. Having shot too many NRA high-power matches I have never seen herd about or witnessed a slam fire with an M14 or M1.