Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro to STI Edge for Limited

Kool Aid

Made the jump from a 5" M&P 40 Pro to an STI Edge, and thought I'd share the experience with those contemplating the switch. Picked up a Dawson CRP Edge in 40 S&W, and paid an extra $200 for what they call an enhancement package. I was told it included a trigger job and reliability work. The gun arrived with a 3.2 lb trigger, a one-piece guide rod, and what appears to be 14lb recoil spring. The recoil master and other factory parts were in the box. The gun ran flawlessly right out of the box with unturned and self-tuned mags with Blue Bullet and Berrys 180g loaded at lengths of 1.15 to 1.18. Not a single hiccup in the first 900 rounds, even after switching to a 12.5lb ismi recoil spring at 500 rounds.

Accuracy is better with the Edge, but not a huge improvement over my 40 Pro with KKM barrel. I have no skills shooting from a rest, so my accuracy test involves keeping 10 rounds inside an 8" circle at 25 yards from a standing unsupported position. With the M&P, I typically have 8 or 9 shots in the circle in a shotgun pattern. With the Edge, 9 or 10 shots is the norm, with a central group of roughly 5 inches.

Recoil control is where the Edge really outshines the M&P. My first few shots with the Edge were eye opening, as the recoil is significantly muted over the M&P. This did not translate to significantly lower splits, as I generally run 0.17 to 0.20 splits hosing with both guns. However, the control at that speed is significantly better with the heavier Edge. I had my first clean Bill Drill under 2.0 seconds with the Edge, a feat I could roughly match in speed but not accuracy with the M&P. My transitions are no slower with the heavier Edge, and the natural point of aim is very similar between the two guns.

Factory STI magazines have run flawlessly in my gun. Feed lip dimensions were within spec, but I opened one up a bit because it was on the tight side. Self-tuned 140mm mags with Grams springs/followers and Dawson +1 basepads hold 20 rounds reloadable. I ground down the ribs on these mags and cut the tab off the Grams follower, and they don't jam up or lock the slide back when empty. Before trimming off the followers, the mags would lock back the slide with one round still in the magazine. I like my slide to lock back during practice so I'm not constantly dropping the slide on an empty chamber, so I have not modified my slide stop. STI followers lock the slide reliably in my practice mags.

Overall, the Edge is a noticeable improvement over the M&P Pro. I don't expect it to take from a 70% B to a GM overnight, but its definitely a platform that will grow with me along the way.

Having any issues with remembering the to engage/disengage the safety? The Edge is a great gun and will serve you very well. I'm making a similar transition but from an M&P Pro to Para 18.9 for shooting limited in Steel Challenge this year. So far the safety hasn't been a problem for me.

nice!

The M&P pro I had was terrible in the accuracy dept. Everything else was great

.... I've ordered two STI's with one being a CRP from dawson. I was never offered anything that included a trigger job. So you paid for a CRP pistol and an additional $200 for tuning? Or are you saying you paid $200 more for the CRP package?

I am waiting for my CRP to show up this week!

I too am going from an M&P Pro except in 9mm. (limited minor is not fun on the score card)

I also didn't hear about the extra tuning from Dawson, but I am thinking that I am going to send it to a local smith that I can talk to and ask questions. This is only my 2nd 1911 type gun and my first 2011 so I am thinking that I will get some personal time getting some instructions from a smith.

Now I just need a load for Titegroup and whatever bullets I decide on. I had pretty good luck with extreme but I am open to something different

Did lots of dry fire to adapt to the Edge, and have not had any issues engaging the thumb safety. My best draws with the M&P were in the low .8 second range, and seem about the same with the Edge. My draws were a bit ugly at first as I adapted to the new grip and larger beaver tail. Dinged my hand up pretty good at first. I also installed an arched mainspring housing and Dawson die-cut grip tape to make the ergos more like my M&P's (large back strap and lots of grip tape). This improved the Edge's grip, but did require some minor filing on the Dawson arched MS housing to get it to fit under the ICE magwell.

Dawson didn't offer me the enhanced package outright. I first asked the extent of function testing on the standard CRP to find out if they ran it hard before sending it out. I was told they only put a few rounds through the regular CRP to function test. I then asked about "super tuning" that I'd read about in a Benos thread, and mentioned tuned Edges offered through other vendors. The enhancement package was suggested to me for an additional $200 over the base CRP's cost. I really don't know the extent of what was done other than the recoil assembly and trigger job the tech described, but figured it was cheapish insurance.

Edited by Kool Aid

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered an Edge CRP last week. It's also being super tuned. The sales guy told me they work over the whole pistol, do the trigger at 3lbs, sight it on, tune the mag, and make sure it runs perfectly. Was told nothing of different recoil components. In fact I ordered separately a one piece rod and springs.

I recently picked up an STI Eagle in 40, I have mostly been a Glock shooter and I have to say the STI is a pleasure to shoot, I have not done any time comparisons but certainly feels good in the hand. I will try some matches with it this year to really see if there is a difference for me.

2,500 Round Update: Gun continues to run flawlessly with tuned and untuned mags. The oversized button on the Dawson Posi Lock mag release proved to be a liability running and gunning, so I removed the OS button. The sloppy support hand grip I could get away with on the M&P would cause mags to drop from the Edge.

No functional issues in my first match with the CRP Edge. I finished one position ahead of where I normally finish, but did hit two no-shoots going a little too fast on some far targets. Didn't see significant improvement in my classifier score, but did have a decent run stone cold out of the gate. It felt like I had better control of the gun throughout the match compared to the M&P, and won't need to rely on luck as much as used to on distant targets. The tennis elbow I got from the M&P is starting to clear up.