Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most of the reload is with your weak hand.

Something that helped me greatly with reloads was part of a Charlie Perez class. Learning some ways to improve the reload he pointed out that you have to consistently and very quickly snatch your magazine from your pouch and bring it to where you're going to reload.

Before that I was more worried about keeping the gun up, and dropping the magazine, and secondarily was like "oh yeah, and grabbing a new mag too."

For me, once I changed my focus to the LEFT HAND quickly snatching the new mag and bringing it up to the reload area it all made sense. Now the right hand drops the mag and pulls the gun back to the parking position for reloading more automatically, faster and a lot higher than before.

I think that it all matters a little bit since it should all be done simultaneously. As your right hand is dropping the mag your left hand should be at the pouch already. Sometimes you'll see the really fast guys hit the used mag with the incoming mag.

Something that helped me greatly with reloads was part of a Charlie Perez class. Learning some ways to improve the reload he pointed out that you have to consistently and very quickly snatch your magazine from your pouch and bring it to where you're going to reload.

Before that I was more worried about keeping the gun up, and dropping the magazine, and secondarily was like "oh yeah, and grabbing a new mag too."

For me, once I changed my focus to the LEFT HAND quickly snatching the new mag and bringing it up to the reload area it all made sense. Now the right hand drops the mag and pulls the gun back to the parking position for reloading more automatically, faster and a lot higher than before.

Yep, I noticed this too recently. Getting the new mag out and ready to insert was definitely my bottleneck. And the bottleneck to that bottleneck is getting my vest out of the way.

• 1 year later...

Seating the new mag is an issue for me...I either waste time making sure it is seated or dont seat it only to have it drop in the dirt. I cannot figure out the guys that just seem to throw the mag and it goes perfectly into place.

You have to be firm. You don't have to smack them into the gun, but you definitely should put them in with a bit of force.

Seating the new mag is an issue for me...I either waste time making sure it is seated or dont seat it only to have it drop in the dirt. I cannot figure out the guys that just seem to throw the mag and it goes perfectly into place.

If it's loaded full try downloading it by a round.

TXpastorbob,

Need to rotate the hand as you are inserting the mag. You start the reload by indexing the mag into the pistol and then rotate your wrist to end with your palm driving the mag into the magwell. Sorry if I am stating something obvious, but if you aren't getting the palm smack in at the end and just relying on fingers that may be your problem.

If you are doing that and still having issues it might be that your fully loaded mags are really tight. If you can, get a base pad that adds a bit more room to your mags so they aren't so tight and that will also make reloads easier.

Edited by pointerman1967

I think that it all matters a little bit since it should all be done simultaneously. As your right hand is dropping the mag your left hand should be at the pouch already. Sometimes you'll see the really fast guys hit the used mag with the incoming mag.

Sometimes you'll see the REALLY fast guys do this. . .

Sometimes you'll see the REALLY fast guys do this. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVD7Luck954

Most baller reload with retention ever.

I put a little sharpie mark on the inside of the mag well to focus on as I rotated my gun. That helped a lot as I was focusing on the right spot as I inserted the new mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What division? I'm pretty sure that's not legal for production, but it is a great training technique to get your eyes in the right spot.

A mark in the mag well is not production legal. It is considered a visible external modification. I was "advised" of this my last match last year. The RO was cool about it and I removed the orange sticker I use to draw my eye there. I still use the trick for practice and I simply remove it before a match. At match speed, I never remembered seeing it anyway. I will have to do more than visual cue to reload that fast, more dry fire for me!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Edited by inspector1999

great tip. I personally have a problem of trying to do to much with my left hand and I always end up flip the mag and having it in the wrong position. now i just need to concentrate on doing the correct motions.

If you want to have a lot of fun try a weak hand reload.

.... dangit I can't reach the magazine!!!....

It will give you a new perspective on what you are doing.

If you have a reload-mode, your left hand is the first thing in motion...

and I mess up everything.

I've tossed mags and pushed the pistol out of my hand and had the mag drop

because I did not get it home.

.... sadly I have done all those more than once.

a bit of advice...make up a full magazine of dummy ammo (AND MARK THEM)

and practice with them in the magizine because a full mag

is a lot different from one with just one round in it.

miranda

a bit of advice...make up a full magazine of dummy ammo (AND MARK THEM)

and practice with them in the magizine because a full mag

is a lot different from one with just one round in it.

miranda

This. I noticed that when I practice reloads with empty Lim or Open mags after a match, my mag hand goes up OVER the magwell because of the lack of weight. Kind of like when you reach for a Coke that you think is full but it's empty, and your hand and the can just shoot up in the air because your brain is expecting the weight of the full can. Surprising.

And yes, of course, dummies...

Edited by teros135

I accidentally discovered this on my own not too long ago. If I get the proper index on the mag, the rest of the action just kind of completes itself. It has been an area of struggle for me for a while, but I am definitely improving IF I grab the mag right. The issue I am running into is that It's easy from the front pouch to get the correct grip on the mag, but my hands are so big that I struggle getting the proper index on pouches 2-5. I'm running CR speed versa pouches, set up for production. If I come in from the front of the belt, my fingers will generally get hung on the first pouch and I'll wind up with the base plate of the mag in the palm of my hand instead of along the heel, This causes me issues. Coming into the pouches from the side generally allows me to get a better index on the mag but really lacks consistency at this point.

Have any of you found a good solution to this particular problem I am having?

Edited by tha1000

I accidentally discovered this on my own not too long ago, if I get the proper index on the mag, the rest of the action just kind of completes itself. It has been an area of struggle for me for a while, but I am definitely improving IF I grab the mag right. The issue I am running into is that It's easy from the front pouch, but my hands are so big that I struggle getting the proper index on pouches 2-5. I'm running CR speed versa pouches. If I come in from the front of the belt, my fingers will generally get hung on the first pouch and I'll wind up with the base plate of the mag in the palm of my hand instead of along the heel, This causes me issues. Coming into the pouches from the side generally allows me to get a better index on the mag but really lacks consistency at this point.

Have any of you found a good solution to this particular problem I am having?

Yeah....the solution is to keep practicing. I assume that you have enough space between your pouches that it is possible for you to get a good grip. The motion needs to be direct from gun to magazine, but ultimately I think you just have to do it thousands and thousands of times. There are no secrets or shortcuts and each of our body types presents its own unique challenge.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Sounds like you're shooting Production, that clearly presents its own challenges for the reload. Make sure you are devoting time to reloading from each pouch. Perhaps you'll benefit by orienting your mag pouches to the outside like I see some people do nowadays. I've never tried it so I can't really speak on it but people are obviously doing it with great success. Doubt it can be done with the versa pouch though, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot production. I didn't think to check the legality, but it is easy enough to wipe off before a match if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mark in the mag well is not production legal. It is considered a visible external modification. I was "advised" of this my last match last year. The RO was cool about it and I removed the orange sticker I use to draw my eye there. I still use the trick for practice and I simply remove it before a match. At match speed, I never remembered seeing it anyway. I will have to do more than visual cue to reload that fast, more dry fire for me!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

If I am not mistaken a visible external modification is one that can be seen with an empty mag in the gun with the gun in battery. The marks on my glock can't be seen with a mag in so I was under the impression it was legal. However, they are visible when the gun has no magazine in it. Not sure what rule it would fall under... I just found this... looks like I will be breaking out the nail polish remover tonight.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=47

TECHNICALLY a sticker would not be paint... hmmm. Another one of those pointless USPSA rules. The joys of production. Can't wait to get my limited gun.

The fast specific movement of the non-dominant hand in a reload is unique to our sport. I think most of us can be consistently faster at it than we believe. If you are consistently at < 1.0s with your reloads, never mind, I'm not talking to you guys! That's where I want to get to.