Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Choice

okorpheus

I shoot USPSA and IDPA and have been thinking of trying out tap or skeet but don't have a shotgun. Dad is clearing out some stuff and there are two shotguns - I get one and my brother gets one, I get my choice. One is a 1955 a Browning A5, the other is a mid 70s Ithaca 37.

Originally I was supposed to get the Browning but dad thought since I shoot left handed I might like the Ithaca more. I know neither is ideal, but does anyone have an opinion on which might make a better choice to start clay sports with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello: I would take the Browning. They are cool guns and shoot softer than the Ithaca 37. The Ithaca was the first shotgun I shot at the age of 10. It hurt me bad and I never shot it again till I was in my 20's. I also like the sound of the Brownings, that cachunk sound is cool. Thanks, Eric

Do either of the guns have a rib? I would pick the one with a rib over action type. The brownings are nice and if you have to pump between shoots at skeet it will make it harder to get on the second bird.

+1 on the rib. The continuous sighting plane can be a plus. As for pumping, no big deal. In trap it means nothing. In skeet, you have plenty of time to get on the second bird for doubles.

The first 400x400 in skeet was shot by Ken Barnes with four Winchester pumps, three Model 12's and a Model 42.

• 2 weeks later...

Just from a monetary perspective I'd go with the Browning. Being a 1955 vintage gun it was made in Belgium and commands a higher price verses the the pump. With that being said both will work for skeet or trap. You didn't say what the chokes were but I doubt if they have choke tubes. So go with the one you like the best.

A pump shot gun does not work well for shooting Sporting Clays, unless you are darn fast. I have had more that one Browning A5 and I don't care for them, the Browning that worked best for me with Sporting Clays was an O/U 325 with a 30" barrel. I've also used Reminton 3200's, Krieghoff 3200's, and a Perozzi O/U, but the shotgun that I used the longest and did the best with was a Beretta 687 EELL in 12 gauge witha 28" barrel. If you are going to get serious about shooting this sport, start out with a good shotgun. If you are just going to shoot clay birds once in a while, anything will work. Get something that has choke tubes in it, you don't need something that is back bored or has any of the other custom stuff, however. Skeet and trap are far different than shooting Sporting Clays, so it makes a difference which you intend to shoot.

Edited by Nite Ryder

I recommend you let your brother have both of them. Don't ever

shoot clays , trap or skeet. Once you start down this dark road

you will quickly start to accumulate more stuff than you could

imagine. that being said. I have owned both. pic the browning.

you can trade up later. Pretty hard to beat , hanging out with

friends breaking clay targets.

• 2 years later...