Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VP9 loads

johes

I have been frequenting the HKPro forums a bunch to get up to speed on my new P30 V1, and have been reading a lot about the VP9 as well. I have not read about many people having problems with using light 9mm ammo. Apparently, its break-in is much easier than the P30 (especially the P30L) which has tons of people having feeding problems. If you do have any feeding problems, the recommended solution (which seems to work for all who wrte about it) is putting a few hundred rounds of stout ammo through it. After that, it handles anything.

I have shot about 50rds of my 147gr Bayou Bullet reloads through them, without any problems. They have a power factor of 127. I will be shooting it in the local IDPA match this weekend, and can respond back if anything wrong happens.

I only have about 100rds through the gun at this time...about 50 115gr factory ball and then 50 of my target loads.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Have been considering shooting the VP9 for Steel Challenge. No power factor floor, so I ran one string of light load 115gr plated through it with 4.0gr of N320 to see what would happen. Avg velocity of 1016 feet/sec and one failure to eject out of ten. I strongly suspect that 4.2gr would get me 1050ish and it would cycle perfectly.

@us_shooter, you need to find your own COL for your barrel with the "push test".

Have been considering shooting the VP9 for Steel Challenge. No power factor floor, so I ran one string of light load 115gr plated through it with 4.0gr of N320 to see what would happen. Avg velocity of 1016 feet/sec and one failure to eject out of ten. I strongly suspect that 4.2gr would get me 1050ish and it would cycle perfectly.

If you bump your bullet up to 147gr I bet you will save a little time on each of your strings. Less recoil and faster back on target.

• 9 months later...

I know the nose-diving is something that a lot of people complain about, but it can be fixed with how you grip the pistol. I'd recommend you watch Bob Vogel's grip video. I can tell you that what he's doing works perfectly on Glocks, but takes some minor adjustments on other pistols. The principles, however, are the same and will help you control the pistol. I use my VP9 for Steel, Production, SSP, etc. I shoot both 124gr coated lead at 130PF and 147gr coated lead at 133PF with a couple of different fast-burning powders. The brass fall at me feet. They're definitely soft loads, but there's no nose-diving. You can fix this with your hands. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My VP9 is well broken in. Just started load development for Production class:

147gr Blue Bullets (actually about 150gr)

C.OL. 1.135

N320

Charges:

2.8 gr, 811 fps, 122 PF, too low to cycle the action.

3.0 gr, 860 fps, 129 PF, brass ejected straight up and back slightly

3.2 gr, 877 fps, 131 PF, brass ejected well

3.4 gr, 885 fps, 132 PF

3.6 gr, 920 fps, 138 PF

Gonna load up more at 3.2gr

My VP9 is well broken in. Just started load development for Production class:

147gr Blue Bullets (actually about 150gr)

C.OL. 1.135

N320

Charges:

2.8 gr, 811 fps, 122 PF, too low to cycle the action.

3.0 gr, 860 fps, 129 PF, brass ejected straight up and back slightly

3.2 gr, 877 fps, 131 PF, brass ejected well

3.4 gr, 885 fps, 132 PF

3.6 gr, 920 fps, 138 PF

Gonna load up more at 3.2gr

Very interesting/helpful! Thanks for posting this.

By accident, I loaded the ammo too long - 1.180", but the gun did not complain at all.

I now load using 3.0gr of Titegroup with 147gr Precision Delta bullets, and they give me PF of 125, so a .1 or .2gr more would be just the ticket - it is VERY soft shooting load.

• 2 weeks later...

My VP9 has a shown a preference for 124-125 grain bullets. The Hornady 124 grain FMJ-FP seated long and loaded to a PF of 130 produced a 10-shot group at a distance of 25 yards that had an extreme spread of 1.87".

hxv0wcbewihyzmi6xdab.jpg

Stepping up the PF to 137 and using the Hornady 125 grain HAP, also seated long, my VP9 turned in a 10-shot group at 25 yards that had an extreme spread of 1.6".

nz2rrdxc33iy2muthu45kn7hdd3cxeyk.jpg

Edited by Molon