Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Took my wife shooting for the first time

jeremy kemlo

A while back I talked my wife into going to a local Steel Challenge with me. I shot open & RFRO. I let her shoot my 22/45. She did great for a first time despite loosing her dot a few times. On the second stage while running open, I had some shrapnel come back and hit me in the shin. Bled pretty badly. Oh well. Band aid and few minutes back at it. On the ride home she asked if she embarrassed me. I replied, " between you and me, your the only one who didn't shoot yourself, so no".  

She likes to go to our local range and shoot but gets very self conscious at a match. She despises the timer. Work in progress, just not going to rush her. 

• 1 month later...

I can't take all the credit. My wife had shot rifle, pistol and bow growing up because she would do those activities with her dad and cousins. 

I was able to get her into action shooting first by showing her videos and then asking her to come to a local uspsa match. I asked if she would ever be interested in action shooting and she asked me if there was such a thing for revolvers. 

Luckily we have icore in the area as well. 

The other important thing I found was to not just buy her a gun and say "surprise!" We went out shopping together and got her a gun that we were both really excited about in a Ruger Match Champion. It's not an ideal gun for uspsa for sure, but is a great gun for Classic division in icore and overall just a great all around gun. If she wants something that is more "game ready" like an 8 shot 9mm we can always get that for her when she wants it.