Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make Versa Max shoot slugs straight

Trevarm

Fiocchi aero 7/8th ounce reduced recoil slugs.

I also find that my VM shoots slugs better with less choke.

Similar for me, except mine likes the 1oz Fiocchi low recoil best. I've shot my slugs at distance using everything from IC to IM and didn't notice any real change. But I haven't shot them to see a group size, just to hear the steel ring.

The most important thing I did with both my versamax's was adjust the stock correctly for my mount. Once I did that my slug hit factor went way up.

There are three problems that can affect slug accuracy in the VMs.

First is the sloppy fit of the magazine tube, which aligns the barrel. You can work with shims and clamps and get some improvement. This is one of the main problems our Versatube fixes. However, if the nut works loose, it will cause problems with accuracy no matter what. The VM has rather violent internal impacts due to the OS. KurtM talks about this in a thread about the tubes loosening.

Second is poor machining of the forcing cone. If you see a rough and or dark band several inches down the bore, it will need to be honed. We use Brush Research hones to smooth out the bore.

In some cases, the vent rib has been attached angled. This affects POI more than group size. It is fixed by getting a new barrel from Remington or removing and realigning the vent rib. Whacking it against a tree will only fix it for one distance, but you will have issues at other distances.

Trevarm,

Steve is asking the right question... If your Vmax groups good, but does not hit where you aim it, then it has same issue as many of the benellis that Kurt Miller made his fixture to correct... Your mag tube may be off center just a bit, and be in need of rework. Mark has some good points also...check your setup and let us know what you find out

Edited by Headworked

There are three problems that can affect slug accuracy in the VMs.

First is the sloppy fit of the magazine tube, which aligns the barrel. You can work with shims and clamps and get some improvement. This is one of the main problems our Versatube fixes. However, if the nut works loose, it will cause problems with accuracy no matter what. The VM has rather violent internal impacts due to the OS. KurtM talks about this in a thread about the tubes loosening.

Second is poor machining of the forcing cone. If you see a rough and or dark band several inches down the bore, it will need to be honed. We use Brush Research hones to smooth out the bore.

In some cases, the vent rib has been attached angled. This affects POI more than group size. It is fixed by getting a new barrel from Remington or removing and realigning the vent rib. Whacking it against a tree will only fix it for one distance, but you will have issues at other distances.

This happened, along with issues with barrel straightness, especially on the early production guns. Thankfully seems to be less evident on current production guns. A call to Remington with the serial # will let you know and in most cases they have been quick to replace the barrel if it fall inside the known problem group.

My right to left is pretty decent (just a little to the right actually could be me though) but it hits 6-8" low at 50 yards with every slug I use no matter brand or velocity

If you have decent groups, but just high or low at 50 yards, that can certainly just be a fit issue.

JPeel:

"The most important thing I did with both my versamax's was adjust the stock correctly for my mount. Once I did that my slug hit factor went way up."

This ^ !

I learned that you have to make a shotgun fit YOU. Use the stock cast plates and try every combination. You will find one that works best.

Edited by soterik

My right to left is pretty decent (just a little to the right actually could be me though) but it hits 6-8" low at 50 yards with every slug I use no matter brand or velocity

If you have decent groups, but just high or low at 50 yards, that can certainly just be a fit issue.

My versamax tactical shot low when I bought it. I put the high cheek piece that came with the gun and solved the problem .

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The main slugs that I have been using are the Rio low recoil slugs. I have also tried tru bal slugs, low recoil federal tactical slugs, and a few other full power hunting slugs.

The gun has not been grouping well at all. I have only ever been able to get one decent group and that was at 50 yards. At 50 yards it was about 2 feet to the right and about 1.5 feet low. That was early on with the gun. Since then I am have trouble hitting a 3x3 foot piece of cardboard at 50 yards. The gun has probably had about 100 slugs through it.

The gun is the competition model so it has the rear sight on it. I have tried multiple different rear inserts with no luck. The tube on the gun is the one piece tube that Remington is using. I think I remember reading that it is not the same as the Versatube.

The tube on the Competition model copied my design, but their implementation left a bit to be desired.

As bad as that is, sounds like a magazine tube issue. Too sloppy of a fit. But check for the dark ring in the barrel first.

Just bought a Versa Max Tactical, waiting for it to come from Buds. I've been reading about how a lot of these Versa Max have POI issues. A lot have had to get their barrels replaced by Remington and sometimes even when they were replaced it was off. I'm hoping this isn't still the issue. This is my first shotgun so I don't know how to really check for problems. If i'm having problems with slugs should I just get Remington to fix it?

My Versa Max 28 inch shot about 8.5 inches to the right at 50 yards. Sent it back to Remington and now it is dead on at 60 yards. The report states that they changed barrel, forearm, and trigger group. What the report did not say anything about was they removed and re-installed the mag tube, because the holes where the indents were are now rotated about 75 degrees. My belief is the mag tubes are not lined up correctly as some many others have stated above.

Remington charged me ZERO dollars and paid shipping both ways.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got around to cleaning the shotgun and inspecting it. Everything looks pretty normal. I did have some built up just in front of the chamber. Makes me wonder if it is the cone problem.

I have honed the forcing cone on several VMs and it has helped to tighten up the groups some.

I love how soft my VM shoots but at 50 yards on an IDPA style target I have to AIM low left completely off the paper to get a hit on the paper. All my shots are high and right. Birdshot too but not as dramatic.

I'm afraid Remington will refuse to try and fix it since it's been massaged for 3 gun.

I don't know who to send it to or if it's fixable.

It groups well though.

Edited by Willz

I love how soft my VM shoots but at 50 yards on an IDPA style target I have to AIM low left completely off the paper to get a hit on the paper. All my shots are high and right. Birdshot too but not as dramatic.

I'm afraid Remington will refuse to try and fix it since it's been massaged for 3 gun.

I don't know who to send it to or if it's fixable.

It groups well though.

Its worth a call. I know guys that have received new barrels based on the serial number range.

Beyond that an offset front and rear sight can generally correct POI / POA issues but I don't consider that the best fix. When you start shooting fast with your eyes focused on the target (pointing instead of aiming) the fit of the gun takes over and it shoots where it wants to shoot.